Unshielded Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Unshielded Speakers

tpcounty
10-05-2004, 03:52 PM
I have some used Paradigm Titan bookshelf speakers that I want to use with my TV. I am uncertain if the speakers are sheilded so I am wondering what is the minimum distance you can have the speakers to the TV without risk of causing discoloration to the TV tube?

Lensman
10-05-2004, 04:22 PM
I have some used Paradigm Titan bookshelf speakers that I want to use with my TV. I am uncertain if the speakers are sheilded so I am wondering what is the minimum distance you can have the speakers to the TV without risk of causing discoloration to the TV tube?

The minimum safe distance for unshielded speakers depends on the strength of the magnets, but is typically at least 1 ft. Paradigm uses reasonably large magnets so their unshielded models will require more distant placement. The minimum distance recommended by my local Paradigm dealer for unshielded Mini Monitors, which also have 6.5" woofers, is 2-3 ft.

cam
10-05-2004, 04:40 PM
If you see some discoloration on your tv then move them away until it does not interfere with your tv anymore. It maybe just a matter of inches one way or the other that gives you a good or bad result.

tpcounty
10-06-2004, 04:55 AM
The minimum safe distance for unshielded speakers depends on the strength of the magnets, but is typically at least 1 ft. Paradigm uses reasonably large magnets so their unshielded models will require more distant placement. The minimum distance recommended by my local Paradigm dealer for unshielded Mini Monitors, which also have 6.5" woofers, is 2-3 ft.

Thank you! That is exactly the information I needed.

Lensman
10-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Thank you! That is exactly the information I needed.
Glad I could help. :)

woodman
10-06-2004, 08:31 PM

You don't say just what type of "TV" you have, so it's impossible to say whether or not you even need to be concerned at all about possibly unshielded speakers. If it's a direct-view CRT set, then yes you do ... if it's an RPTV, then you don't.