OK music enthusiasts-what 2003 releases did you get your hands on? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OK music enthusiasts-what 2003 releases did you get your hands on?

Jim Clark
12-10-2003, 12:17 PM
Thinking about the responses to a Smokey thread claiming rock was dead and how contrary that notion was to my experience in 2003. Curious to know what 2003 releases you picked up. I get the feeling for many it wasn't all that much but of course I could be wrong. For this thread I'm just looking for stuff released this year, not 1979, 2002 or whatever. Any genre is good as long as it was released in 2003.

Here's mine I just compiled off the top of my head, I'm sure I've overlooked a couple. Too early to rank them just yet so they are in random order:

Hot Hot Heat-Make Up The Breakdown
Electric Six-Fire + Danger High Voltage EP
Lucinda Williams-World Without Tears
Annie Lennox-Bare
Massive Attack-100th Window
Iris-Awakening
Echoing Green-The Winter Of Our Discontent
Killing Joke-S/T
Postal Service-Give Up
BT-Emotional Technology
Paul Van Dyk-Reflections
Chemical Brothers-93-03
The Sounds-Living In America
The Prids-Love Zero
Pat Matheny-One Quiet Night
Sarah Brightman-Harem
Seal-Seal IV
British Sea Power-The Decline Of British Sea Power
Mellowdrone-A Demonstration of Intellectual Property EP
Lamb-What Sound Deluxe
Mosquitos-S/T
The Raveonettes-That Great Love Sound
The Strokes-Room On Fire
The Gathering-Souvenirs
Evanescence-Fallen
T. Raumschmiere-Radio Blackout
Miss Kitten-Radio Caroline
Richard X-Presents His X-Factor vol. 1
The Dandy Warhols-Welcome To The Monkey House
Blue Man Group-The Complex
The Stills-Logic Will Break Your Heart
Rapture-Echoes
Low Technicians-Remembrance
Vic Chesnutt-Silver Lake
The Notwist-Neon Golden (US version)
De/Vision-Devolution
Wolfsheim-Casting Shadows
Grandaddy-Sumday
Tosca-Dehli9
Manitoba-Up In flames
Fischerspooner-#1

Regards,
jc

DarrenH
12-10-2003, 01:49 PM
I bought a ton of CD's throughout 2003 Jim. Unfortunately, most of them were remasters of older CD's or stuff I didn't have prior to 2003. Off the top of my head here's a quick list of the 2003 releases that I purchased:

Jethro Tull - Christmas Album
Ian Anderson - Rupi's Dance
Martin Barre - Stage Left
Dream Theater - Train Of Thought
Dead Soul Tribe - A Murder Of Crows
Frameshift - Unweaving The Rainbow (just released and on order)
The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone (on order)
Magellan - Impossible Figures (recently released and on order)
Neal Morse - Testimony (on order)
Spock's Beard - Feel Euphoria
Pineapple Thief - Variations On A Dream
Mostly Autumn - Passengers
Los Lonely Boys - S/T
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
O.S.I. - Office of Strategic Influence
King Crimson - The Power To Believe

Darren

Just remembered some more, now that I'm home to look.

Gov't Mule - The Deepest End (2CD live concert + DVD)
Ohm - S/T
Larval - Obedience
Satellite - A Street Between Sunrise and Sunset
Gordian Knot - Emergent
Steve Hackett - To Watch The Storms
Lacrimosa - Echos
Arena - Contagion plus the Contagious EP
Allman Brothers Band - Hittin' The Note

Damn, I guess I did buy a few new things this year.

tugmcmartin
12-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Here's what i can remember. Two of these probably don't qualify as "rock" in the classic sense though.

Trey Anastasio - s/t
Derek Trucks Band - Soul Serenade (released in 2003 but recorded in i think '99)
moe. - Wormwood
moe. - Warts and All, Vol. 3
Dave Matthews - Some Devil (not good)
Yonder Mountain String Band - Old Hands
Janes Addiction - Stray
Either/Orchestra - Neo-modernisim
Global Funk Council - Keep on Pushin'
Bomb Squad - Sophistafunk
Galactic - Ruckus
Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Unclassified
Allman Brothers Band - Hittin' the Note
Chris Robinson - New Earth Mud

Three of those stunk. The others all kicked butt and showed lots of talent among the musicians.

T-

Jim Clark
12-10-2003, 02:23 PM
I bought a ton of CD's throughout 2003 Jim. Unfortunately, most of them were remasters of older CD's or stuff I didn't have to have prior to 2003.

That's really not unfortunate. That list of filling gaps, buying remasters of favorites, and new but late discoveries is going to be a long list for both of us.

jc

thepogue
12-13-2003, 06:59 AM
Springsteen-The Rising

but I'm sure there's a few more...

Man I'd love ta see your collection Jimbo if thats a list just from '03!!! good fer you brudda!!

Jim Clark
12-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Man I'd love ta see your collection Jimbo if thats a list just from '03!!! good fer you brudda!!

Well next time you're in the KC area drop me a line we'll spin some toons and slam a few down. You would be most welcome.

And to look at it from a slightly different angle, I'm just thinking of all the equipment I could have had if not for all the spending on music. On the other hand since I mainly buy used CDs the equipment probably wouldn't be much better than I have now. I'm thinking I might actually be a cheaper son of gun than you!

Regards,
jc

thepogue
12-13-2003, 11:08 AM
how many CD's in yer collection...and if ya ever do a bit of purgin'...let me know...I'm always into buyin' lots!!

Jim Clark
12-13-2003, 11:55 AM
how many CD's in yer collection...and if ya ever do a bit of purgin'...let me know...I'm always into buyin' lots!!

I'm low man on the totem poll at RR that much is certain! Not that it's a contest, if it was I'd get creamed. As for a count, it's not all that many (again, compared to other music geeks). When I was trying to keep up a list of CDs it was only about a thousand. Never even thought of trying to list the cassettes and LPs although about 15 years ago I did sell off a couple of hundred LPs but that's the only purgin' I've ever done. You just never know when you might get a hankering to hear something. I still even have the Milli Vanilli CD and even ELP's Love Beach. It's a sickness.

jc