Home Equalizer Recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Equalizer Recommendations

mraasch
10-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Hello:
I'm looking for a new high-quality home equalizer (as I think they really do help out with the sound quality).

I have an old Denon, but something is amiss and I'm told it' can't be fixed.

Any recommendations on a high-quality equalizer in the $200 to $300 range?

Any brands I should consider?

Thanks!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Check out DBX eq's, and Alesis. Rane and audiocontrol are out of that price range. Alesis has more bang for the buck. Its reasonalbly priced, extremely low distortion figures, constant Q, quite a few presets(its a digital eq), and VERY low noise. The DBX is equal in quality, a little cheaper, a touch noiser, but plenty of flexibility.

FLZapped
10-06-2004, 07:51 AM
Check out DBX eq's, and Alesis. Rane and audiocontrol are out of that price range. Alesis has more bang for the buck. Its reasonalbly priced, extremely low distortion figures, constant Q, quite a few presets(its a digital eq), and VERY low noise. The DBX is equal in quality, a little cheaper, a touch noiser, but plenty of flexibility.

Uhm, Rane, DBX and Alesis are hardly designed for a home system.

Rane, more expensive than DBX?? Alesis less noisy than DBX?? hmmmm.....

Alesis has had quality issues in the past with their EQs.

You wouldn't be an Alesis biggot would you???? ;)

-Bruce

BRANDONH
10-06-2004, 08:12 AM
Hello:
I'm looking for a new high-quality home equalizer (as I think they really do help out with the sound quality).

Thanks!
I recommend the Aphex Aural Exciter it is not an equalizer but produces great results, I have one and love it.
http://www.aphex.com/204.htm
you can download the brochure and users manual at the link above.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Uhm, Rane, DBX and Alesis are hardly designed for a home system.

Rane, more expensive than DBX?? Alesis less noisy than DBX?? hmmmm.....

Alesis has had quality issues in the past with their EQs.

You wouldn't be an Alesis biggot would you???? ;)

-Bruce

Bruce,
An Alesis biggot???? WAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA... that's good. Actually I own 3 Alesis M EQ 2300 analog and digital eq's. Based on the measurements by EQ mag these have a lower distortion than both the rane, audiocontrol, and DBX. When all of the sliders are set to 0 it is completely transparent according to their reviewer. It has a flat frequency from 20-20khz(the DBX drops in amplitude below 30hz).

Rane has a THX approved eq that is more than suited for home use. Even their non THX eq's are well suited for hometheater. Rane eq's are more expensive than both DBX and Alesis(that's according to eq' s fact sheet). I would personally stake my reputation as a deaf mute on the great performance of the Alesis eq. I am speaking exclusively about the 1/3 octave models.

FLZapped
10-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Bruce,
An Alesis biggot???? WAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA... that's good. Actually I own 3 Alesis M EQ 2300 analog and digital eq's. Based on the measurements by EQ mag these have a lower distortion than both the rane, audiocontrol, and DBX. When all of the sliders are set to 0 it is completely transparent according to their reviewer. It has a flat frequency from 20-20khz(the DBX drops in amplitude below 30hz).

Rane has a THX approved eq that is more than suited for home use. Even their non THX eq's are well suited for hometheater. Rane eq's are more expensive than both DBX and Alesis(that's according to eq' s fact sheet). I would personally stake my reputation as a deaf mute on the great performance of the Alesis eq. I am speaking exclusively about the 1/3 octave models.

Glad you liked that comment.

I tend to be a Rane biggot myself. THX approved, hmmmm, that explains the pricing. I usually don't ever venture over to those models. I remember the MEQ230 having voltage regulator problems. I guess that has since been corrected.

-Bruce

FLZapped
10-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Hello:

Thanks!

I guess I have to ask, what capability did your Denon have? Was it a parametric model? Was it a graphic model? Was it one octave per band, 1/3 octave per band, etc.....

Were you intending to use it to just flatten out your system and then forget it, or were you planning on using it actively as a fine tone control?

All help would be appreciated.

-Bruce