Where in the hell can you buy Blue Tak? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Where in the hell can you buy Blue Tak?

p0_RT7
10-05-2004, 07:40 AM
Anything else in this day and age, you type it into google and ALL you can find is places that sell it.. for Blue Tak, all I can find is people talking about how great it is.. seemingly NO one sells it.

Is it real? Is it a myth? Do you make it yourself with a secret recipe?

If anyone knows -where- I can get some of this, please by all means let me know!

-Tim

Thomsoad
10-05-2004, 08:00 AM
Lowes carries Blue Tak. Home Depot may as well.

BillB
10-05-2004, 08:12 AM
www.AudioAdvisor.com sells it I believe.

p0_RT7
10-05-2004, 08:19 AM
I checked in Home Depot yesterday in the adhesives section and didn't see anything. This covered glue / tape / other assorted sealers / contact cement.... Was I in the wrong section? Where would it be?

Does lowes have it -for sure- (their website is terrible naturally)? I'd prefer to buy it somewhere in person rather than wait a week.

Thanks for the responses!

p0_RT7
10-05-2004, 08:21 AM
Unless I'm missing something?

No hits for blue tak... blue.. tak... etc

Seriously is Blue Tak like snipe hunting and blinker fluid?

N. Abstentia
10-05-2004, 08:51 AM
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=BLUTACK

Resident Loser
10-05-2004, 09:08 AM
...DAPs Fun-Tak?...it's even blue...looks to be the same stuff...it WILL stain wood and other porous surfaces to some degree, if left for prolonged periods...

It seems to be the female gender's equivalent of duct tape...

Barcus-Berry included something similar to affix contact mics on musical instruments...I now have a stain on my D18s bridge...

jimHJJ(...for about a buck @ HD...Fun-Tak is cheaper 'cause you don't have to hunt it down like Blu-Tak...)

P.S. And that's what ticks me off about all this "audiopile" cr@p...it's not "damping compound" it's a friggin' artsy-craftsy, user friendly adhesive of sorts...nothing more...and worth about a buck...unless you're the one who has to scrape it off and clean it up, then it's worthless IMHO...

p0_RT7
10-05-2004, 09:16 AM
So do all of these tack solutions stain then? I saw something about it on the blutack page... But it said it can 'sometimes' be cleaned with lighter fluid or some other stuff?

My speaker stands came with standard double-sided adhesified foam pads, and also "hook and loop' (velcro) ones..

Would I be better to use not-as-good adhesive pads that were included? Or should I go the tack/stain route?

Also..

This is a bit scandalous but..

I got some of those adhesive pads from circuit city that they use to chain up the remote controls / cameras / etc so people can't steal them.. credit card under an edge of it and it peels right off... would that be a good idea or am I just asking to rip veneer ?

Resident Loser
10-05-2004, 09:39 AM
...they all do it...depends on the amount of "oils" or whatever they contain...those "oils" also evaporate so the compounds also harden, so...so much for the "damping" qualities...lightly finished wood is the worst possible use IMHO, so unless it has a poly or varnish coat ...of course, if you are refastening a broken piece of trim(female duct tape?)that YOU won't have to repair correctly...maybe for stickin' up short-term messages or recipes...and even that can be problematic...new stuff can be really sticky and can remove the print from the backside of yer fave recipe...

jimHJJ(...did I mention I HATE Fun-Tak?...BTW, double-faced tape can provide it's own set of problems...as can self-stick Velcro...there may be better alternatives if you are just lookin' to keep your speakers from sliding, for some sort of locked-on, nuts and bolts stability, all these things fall short...)

topspeed
10-05-2004, 09:48 AM
I just used Elemer's sticky-puddy (same idea as Blu Tak) to fasten down my kid's train track and it would be good alternative to Blu Tak. It's soft, the color of an eraser, and can be reused. Noel from Skylan Stands recommends an alternative you can buy at Home Depot made by 3M that isn't quite as sticky but also won't rip the vinyl veneer from your speaker box, something Blu Tak has been known to do if you don't twist it off the stand correctly. Bottom line, there are other options than Blu Tak.

Good luck

p0_RT7
10-05-2004, 09:57 AM
What is the mystery 3M product at home depot?

The cabinets ahh.... have the fake wood grain texture with a shiny/slippery finish... they're Polk Audio RT7's.. i'm assuming it is still MDF ...

What about the 3M Poster strips that you just pull on them and they releast? if it's on the underside it may be concealed enough... or may look retarded who knows..

Let's put it this way also.

If you were me.. what would you do.. I've heard a lot about the pros / cons of diff things, but what is the -best choice- ?

topspeed
10-05-2004, 01:00 PM
What is the mystery 3M product at home depot?

If you were me.. what would you do.. I've heard a lot about the pros / cons of diff things, but what is the -best choice- ?
I'd go to HD or Lowes and try to find this comparable pliable adhesive that Noel told me about. If I couldn't find that, the Elmer's sticky-putty would work just fine and probably isn't quite as tenacious as Blu-Tak. Your speakers have a vinyl wrap; do you really want to risk the possiblity of Blu-Tak pulling the wrap from the MDF?

RoyY51
10-05-2004, 04:13 PM
The 3M "Blu-Tac type product" can be found in the Home Depot paint dept.in the same bay as wood glues, Super Glue, spray adhesives and 2-part epoxies.

bargainseeker
10-06-2004, 06:28 AM
I use Elmer's Tac 'N Stik (http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=98610). It is nontoxic and does not attack the surfaces that it is used on like Blue Tak and many of its equivalents. It also does not stick quite as hard so that it can be removed without peeling the veneer off of the speaker. In other ways, it works the same as Blue Tak.

I bought mine in the art/school supplies section of the local K-Mart. I have also seen it in the art/school supplies section of other stores. The link above is to Office Depot which also carries it.