KEXPMF's Comps [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : KEXPMF's Comps

Jim Clark
10-05-2004, 07:22 AM
*edit* I typed this in Word and pasted here. Guess it didn't work out so good. Sorry. I'll try to clean it up as much as I can.

Not to be confused with the KEXP comps offered for sale at their site. I'd have posted a mini-review of KEXPMF's first two comps (to me) earlier but she didn't burn with CD-Text so I have to do a lot more typing. Luckily that's about the worst thing with these comps so it's a minor inconvenience and easily offset by many of the great tracks on these discs. I'm just not a very good typist and that's the only reason I really like having the CD-text on the disc.

1. Desperate Guys- The Faint. One of my favorite bands and I bought this album as soon as I realized it was out. Great opener but seriously there's only one track on this album that would doom a comp and this ain't it.

2. Future - Cut Copy. Snazzy little synthpop number that immediately grabs my attention and lets me know I'm glad to have some toons suggested by this gal. Awesome track that few here would like, but it's a home run for me.

3. Lovers In The Back Seat-Scissor Sisters. Where in Lawrence last week and obviously KEXPMF likes them, I don't. Intro starts out promising enough and I want to like the track, but it just doesn't click. I want to like it, probably should since it's a very 80'ish production.

4. Machismo-Gomez. Her favorite band currently, based on this track I can see why. This track rocks! I only have In Our Gun and really like a few of those tracks, this blends in seamlessly with those. I can listen to this over and over again.

5. El Salvador-Athlete. Mike introduced Athlete to me last year on his year end comp, at least I think so going from memory. I really like this track too. Reminds me of the Stereophonics or maybe even the Polyphonic spree.

6&7 Wake Up & You're So Pretty - Charlatans UK. I've never been the biggest fan of this band although theses songs certainly aren't bad they don't grab me like the better toons from this disc.

8. Carry Me-Fancy. Never even heard of this band but I like the track even though to me it's a very 60's influenced number and that's not really my thing.

9. Did I let You Down? Folksongs For The Afterlife. Another new one for me. Kind of reminds me of Dido with more of an edge, Beth Orton and even The Twilight Babies whom KEXPMF didn't care for. I like it quite a bit.

10. Save It For Later-Harvey Danger. Nifty little cover of the standard by the English Beat. Nothing to dislike here.

11. Massive Breeder-Hybrasil. Wicked cool percussion in an "far out there" in a good way track of frentic, almost Brazilian rhythms. Great track that jc likes a lot.

12. This Is The Day-Ivy. Horns give it a lush and fully fleshed out 60's sound that's catchy and hard to ignore. Reminds me a bit of the Mosquitos, whom I really like. Great song.

13. Doin' The Cockroach-Modest Mouse. This one is awesome and got me checking the used stores for more back catalogue for MM.

14. C'mon, C'mon - Von bodies. I ignored this band thinking it was more of the same old White Stripes and I don't care much at all for the White Stripes. My bad, this is much better than White Stripes song I've ever heard. I'm hoping the library picks this one up.

15. Ballad Of A Sin Eater-TedLeo and the Pharmacists. Never was a really big Tedleo fan based on the other tracks I heard but for some reason I like this one quite a bit. Reminds me of a Jim Carroll song. I'll have to revisit the other tracks I have and see if this one's just better or maybe my tastes have changed.

Overall, one of the better comps I've rec'd in a very long time. I really like hearing new stuff and being surprised by stuff I've already dismissed. Thanks a ton KEXPMF. Right now I'm kind of worn out by typing but I'll tack on a much abbreviated version of the second comp later today.

jc

Jim Clark
10-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Comp 2 (she really needs to work on the titles of these things!)

1. Go To Sleep-Radiohead s'ok. Like most radiohead it doesn't leap out and grab me but it's a good enough track. I've just got a Radiohead block.

2&3 . Big Big City and Skydiver -Schtum This band is now Hybrasil. I know because I've got the inside track. REally like every thing I've heard by this band.

4. Kansas City-The Beatles. What can I say?

5. We Used To Be Friends-Dandy Warhols. This was hilarious. We exchanged comps when she dropped by the Athletic club where I work. We both used this track in our comps. 'course I like it.

6. Beautiful Girl-Gadjits. I'd heard of this local band but never seen them. Ska revival. Not ever going to be my main thing but it's enjoyable.

7. Six Pacs-The Getaway people. Bouncy, catchy, not much to dislike. Not a favorite from this disc but that's ok.

8.On Top-The Killers. I bought this album based on Mike's rec and I'm glad I did. don't know how long it's going to last but I'm enjoying it now.

9. Cinnamon-The Long Winters. How did Davey miss this one. Sounds pretty much like his kind of thing. Great track.

10. On A rope-Rocket From the Crypt. Didn't like it at first, it caught up to me though. Chorus just sneaks up on you.

11. Medicine-Orbit. Another one that the more I hear it, the more i like it.

12. Meetings for Surrender-Neva Dinova. This one isn't growing on me at all. Sorry.

13. Buried In YOur black Heart-Burden Brothers. I'll bet these guys are hellions on stage. Loads of energy on this track and it's enjoyable but reasonably far removed from my normal listening.

14. Out Of My Hands-Caesars. Another in the long line of garage revivalists. Honestly I don't know if I like it or not. I like the darkness and the raw quality, may be worth investigating more. Oddly, it's got me thinking that maybe I should pick up that Concretes album today.

15. Detroit Swing 66-gomez. RPM (newtrix) submitted this track on a CRSV comp which lead to me getting my first Gomez album. Great song.

16. Ping One Down-Gomez. Obviously I didn't listen very much to my first Gomez album because I didn't remember this track at all and it's pretty darn good.

17. Rollover DJ-Jet. This album got lots of buzz at this site but I never did grab it. I like the track but I don't know if I would enjoy listening to an entire CD of this. Maybe I would but I think I'll wait to see if the library gets it. I'm thinking they will.

Thanks again KEXPMF, I've really enjoyed spending time with these comps.

jc

Davey
10-05-2004, 08:27 AM
9. Cinnamon-The Long Winters. How did Davey miss this one. Sounds pretty much like his kind of thing. Great track.
Hehehe, I do have their first album but never bought the last one and I do like them a lot. I think you were one of the unlucky slobs that received a copy of <a href="http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbicomps.htm#Spring_Cleaning"><b>this</b></a> comp I did a couple years ago or so, but I don't think the 3 songs I picked got a very good response at that time ;)

Those do look like some pretty nice comps she gave you. Hope some of her good taste in music rubs off on you!

Just kidding! No, really!

Jim Clark
10-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Hehehe, I do have their first album but never bought the last one and I do like them a lot. I think you were one of the unlucky slobs that received a copy of <a href="http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbicomps.htm#Spring_Cleaning"><b>this</b></a> comp I did a couple years ago or so, but I don't think the 3 songs I picked got a very good response at that time ;)

Those do look like some pretty nice comps she gave you. Hope some of her good taste in music rubs off on you!

Just kidding! No, really!

Well, I've got to dig that one out then don't I? Ought to be easy to find since I can still recall the cover! Actually I'm afraid that I'm getting old. At the time of that comp I was still in my 30's, well, those days are long gone. Am I getting too mellow. Aughh.

jc

KEXPMF
10-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Hi Jim
I'm super glad you liked the comps! I made them quickly without too much thought. They were just a lot of songs I play when I DJ and that I like. :)

Hey... there is a guy called Beatle Bob whom I see at a lot of concerts and music festivals in NY and elsewhere around the U.S (like SxSw, JazzFest, etc).
That's not the same Beatle Bob who is Celtic Bob is it? :confused: