Robyn Hitchcock + Gillian Welch + David Rawlings = Spooked [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Robyn Hitchcock + Gillian Welch + David Rawlings = Spooked

Davey
10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
That's the equation and October 5 is the street date but has anyone heard much about this? Unplugged and uninhibited. Sounds charmed to me. I'll definitely be watching for early reports....

http://www.yeproc.com/artist_info.php?artistId=171&page=viewrelease&itemNum=CD-YEP-2086#

chrisnz
10-04-2004, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that does sound interesting. So I pre-ordered it to score the bonus CD-R.

Here's hoping!

Davey
10-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Yeah, that does sound interesting. So I pre-ordered it to score the bonus CD-R.
Wow! Decisive. Man of action. So, is that one of the reasons that Mrs. chrisnz made the trip to the altar with you? I bet that endless stream of packages arriving at your door from overseas is not helping her remember all your good traits, eh? I bet it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, eh?

:)

Hehehe, just saw a nice review of the album at http://popmatters.com/music/reviews/h/hitchcockrobyn-spooked.shtml. Keep me posted.

Swish
10-05-2004, 04:22 PM
$13 or so. They didn't mention a bonus cd, but I'm hoping that's included. After seeing Gillian and David live in August, I'm rarin' to hear something new from them. It was fun seeing them mixing it up with Emmylou, Buddy Miller and Patty Griffin, so I'm looking forward to their collaberation with Hitchcock. He's a pretty cool dude, so it should be interesting to say the least. In fact, I really have no preconceived ideas as to how this thing will sound, which makes it all the more enticing for me.

Swishster

chrisnz
10-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Wow! Decisive. Man of action. So, is that one of the reasons that Mrs. chrisnz made the trip to the altar with you? I bet that endless stream of packages arriving at your door from overseas is not helping her remember all your good traits, eh? I bet it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, eh?.

Errr that would be no, nope and definitely not.

I think what attracted her was more that I'm not..... an inclined to the parsimonious tighwad who lurks around hoping that someone else will bite the bullet so that he doesn't have to release the death grip on his wallet............unlike some that I could mention

BWAHAHAHA ;-)

Davey
10-06-2004, 08:59 AM
..... an inclined to the parsimonious tighwad who lurks around hoping that someone else will bite the bullet so that he doesn't have to release the death grip on his wallet............unlike some that I could mention
Hmmm, I think I've just been insulted but I'm still impressed whenever you whip out one of those colorful 5-syllable gems. Parsimonious tighwad, eh? I might have a quibble with the redundancy and we do stick another "t" in the middle of tightwad over here, but I do rather like the sound of it. Sure beats the stuffing out of that platitudinous "cheap-ass" I'm usually labelled with! :)

Stone
10-06-2004, 11:37 AM
I really have no preconceived ideas as to how this thing will sound, which makes it all the more enticing for me.

Swishster

I heard it's a mix of noise rock, no wave, and screamo. Should be great.

Swish
10-06-2004, 01:29 PM
I heard it's a mix of noise rock, no wave, and screamo. Should be great.

Noise rock, no wave and screamo. Hardee, har, har. Anyhoot, I guess I do have some idea how this will sound.

Swishy

Slosh
10-06-2004, 02:44 PM
no taste

Davey
10-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Anyone want to take the first shot at the new Tracker album?
Hmmm, I might. Do you know much about it? Apparently it's the soundtrack to a graphic novel (aka BIG comic book). All instrumental Eno-esque type thing. Not sure about it. Here's a couple things from the label site....

TRACKER - Blankets: Recording for the illustrated Novel

Portland, OR. Tracker-Blankets is the third release to come from song/ recording-man John Askew's assemblage Tracker. Askew wrote and produced the album to accompany the graphic novel Blankets by Craig Thompson. The music quietly threads its way through Thompson's stark images of winter and first love, and the novels dark, yet hopeful coming of age narrative. Following Tracker's acclaimed cinematic, backyard epic POLK (2003), and the grainy, lo-fi first album AMES (2001), Tracker-Blankets juxtaposes the loose, dusty interiors of this pair of Tracker concept albums with a more spare and cinematic instrumental sound. The tracks on Blankets unravel slowly, and never distract from Thompson's drawings. While one listens, the book's visuals come to the forefront of memory; the recordings perfectly provide the backdrop for the story to continue and replay. Through the albums ambient and breathing quality, Askew tips his hat to Brian Eno's Apollo, and Fripp/ Eno collaboration, and at times, the album shares the same sonic head-space as David Pajo's earlier Aerial M records and Yo La Tengo's Danelectro. In an era where invention, concept, and the visual seem to be rapidly dissolving in modern recordings, Blankets: Recordings for the Illustrated Novel satisfies one's need to again experience story and image meeting with music. With Thompson's graphic novel already considered a timeless, illustrated masterpiece, Tracker's soundtrack will dutifully rest by the side of Thompson's epic as a beautiful and moving recorded classic.

After receiving massive critical praise for his 2003 graphic novel Blankets, (Harvey award winner for Best Graphic Novel of 2003) comic artist/ writer Craig Thompson approached Tracker's John Askew to do a "soundtrack" for his book. With the song writing/ production duties accomplished by Askew in his Scenic Burrows, Craig Thompson designed the package with all original art to suppliment the book Blankets. The package is hand crafted and assembled by Stumptown Printers and Pinball printers in Portland, OR.

TRACKER - Blankets: Recording for the illustrated Novel

Craig Thompson has written - and drawn - his life story here in what is essentially a 600 page comic book. But I've never read an illustrated novel before that delivered this depth of emotion. Thompson unflinchingly remembers childhood in a lower middle class Midwestern family, sharing a bed with his brother, suffering the petty humiliations and horrors of pre-adolescence, raised as a strict Christian and then losing his faith as a teen, finding redemption and release in drawing and then growing up to be an artist, and finally, the blossoming of love and adulthood. Thompson's drawing reminds me of the anti-folk cartooning of Jeffrey Lewis - it might look like a comic strip, but he's able to communicate a wealth of feelings - the terrors of childhood, the unimaginable ecstasy of first love.

But what does all this have to do with music? The band Tracker, which is the name under which musician John Askew records, produced a CD of music to accompany the novel. Instrumental and mostly ambient background music, the disc nicely augments the memories invoked in the book. The final track is an acoustic folk song, "Everything Is Beautiful," that nicely sums up the theme of the book - for all the awful things that happen to us, live is indeed beautiful. For new age fans, the disc stands alone nicely. What does a snowfall sound like? What does puberty sound like? We all have our own soundtracks to our lives, but here - one man's life, captured in print, and accompanied by evocative musical compositions. It's, well, beautiful. Jim Testa

chrisnz
10-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Hmmm, I think I've just been insulted but I'm still impressed whenever you whip out one of those colorful 5-syllable gems. Parsimonious tighwad, eh? I might have a quibble with the redundancy and we do stick another "t" in the middle of tightwad over here, but I do rather like the sound of it. Sure beats the stuffing out of that platitudinous "cheap-ass" I'm usually labelled with! :)

Gad the humiliation! Lectured on spelling by an "English as a second language" American.

I guess I must have wrestled with the parsi... money thing and then relaxed... taken my eye off the ball...

As for the redundancy. Well it's like tighwad*tighwad, tighwad squared or... TIGHWAD!!!