Pro and Con BOSE Speaker discussion. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pro and Con BOSE Speaker discussion.

Lord_Magnepan
10-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Well since the other thread is closed. Is this better?

Pro: Small and cute (depending on sense)

Con: Overpriced, horrible frequeny range, Absolutly no Audiophile sound no matter how hard you try, Upgrades are not possible

MikeyBC
10-04-2004, 03:53 PM
Pro-- If the average Joe who listens through an all-in-one rack system overhears that you own Bose, they'll think you have the best sounding stereo on earth.

Con-- Bose really can make half decent audio components sound like average Joe's all-in-one rack system.

chimera128
10-04-2004, 05:06 PM
BOSE:

Pros: Comic relief

Cons: They actually exist

Lord_Magnepan
10-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Well there one thing i never understod. What does a BOSE System do when you try and play a DTS-ES disk? Does it decode it, and then put its own frequency spectrum over it?!?!

jrflanne
10-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Pros: They're cute
Cons: So is Paris Hilton

goatspeed
10-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Pro: Speakers for dummies. If you don't know anything about speakers and want a speaker that is easy to hook up (big all in one cord) and easy to position (swivel cubes), Bose is for you. You pay a price for not knowing better, but that's how "<insert item here> for dummies" purchases usually go.

Con: That bass module. That is the root of all evil.

goatspeed
10-05-2004, 01:21 PM
To be fair (although I thought I was pretty fair before):

Pro: Bose makes fairly decent car audio systems, among the best factory systems you will hear excluding some offerings in Acura and Volvo. Bose probably makes the best computer/multimedia speakers you can buy.

Con: Both the car audio and multimedia speaker industry leave much to be desired, so being good in an area where everybody sucks is like beating your little sister arm-wrestling.

Lord_Magnepan
10-05-2004, 03:33 PM
To be fair (although I thought I was pretty fair before):

Pro: Bose makes fairly decent car audio systems, among the best factory systems you will hear excluding some offerings in Acura and Volvo. Bose probably makes the best computer/multimedia speakers you can buy.

Con: Both the car audio and multimedia speaker industry leave much to be desired, so being good in an area where everybody sucks is like beating your little sister arm-wrestling.

Now that is a funny post :p !!!! But i think that Klipsch are better PC speakers :-)

Geoffcin
10-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Now that is a funny post :p !!!! But i think that Klipsch are better PC speakers :-)

Had audiophile grade PC speakers long before Klipsh or Bose even thought to enter that market. Even though it's 3 years old I'll put my 210d up against ANY 2 channel system from the likes of Bose and Klipsh.

Lord_Magnepan
10-05-2004, 03:49 PM
210D ,,,,,am i missig out on something?

invertingamp
10-06-2004, 01:16 AM
I was going to reply to the closed post ne ways i feel this is a good one

Pros: Not many actually.. Expect the size. But I do feel the 301s are the best bose speaker. May be some say the 901s but for the price.....never!!!.I know the AM and the life style series are piece of crap but ppl fail to undersatnd that there are bigger better speakers bose make like the 301 which is in the 5th generation.I feel the 301s are good bookselves.I feel Bose is tryin so hard to promote the AM/lifestyle series as thats the only different product they have in the market compare to the other brands.Its unfair to blast the whole company but fair enough to do it to individual product like the AM....We guys have to think that bose is more than just those tiny horible sounding speakers with limited range and overprice. I feel the 301 are great speakers(Talking of bookselves...pls dont compare them with planer or floor standing) good power nice looks and quit good sound.

Cons:As said the Acosutics mass and the Life Style series sux big times. Bad freq response and way over priced.It seems the the AM was a good idea may be when i came out but i feel bose never moved forward. No wonders there are so many debates like this in most of the audio forums.

I feel its unfair to blast the "Bose" completely. They have some horrible speakers and some great ones like the 301s. Lots of guys are deciding what speakers to buy while visiting forums like this. they would rather like to hear that the AM/Lifestyle sux while the 301 are good. I feel thats a fair comment to end with.

HokieVT
10-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Pro - Very good sound
Con - But not for the money

Garrardman
10-06-2004, 05:18 AM
Very good sound? Don't think so somehow!!
I was recently on holiday in the US and visited both a B&O shop and a Bose one. In the B&O shop, a Beosound 9000 with Beolab 5's was playing quietly and when i wandered over to take a look, the salesman discreetly turned it up for me (yes, i did start drooling!). In the Bose shop, there was something playing quietly on a surround sound system - i went over and stood in front of the TV and pondered why it sounded like the muffled sound was coming out of the TV rather than some supposedly decent speakers, when the salesman came behind me, switched it off and wandered off!!
Are even the salesmen ashamed of the cr*p they sell?!!!

PROs - they give us all something to laugh about.
CON - yes they are.

Adam

P.S. - regarding their car systems, the only one i ever heard was the 10 speaker setup on the Vauxhall Omega (Cadillac Catera for you people in the US!!). All i could hear was a regular hideous thump instead of bass and, when sat in the driver's seat, the female vocals on the CD playing appeared to be coming from under the passenger seat.

Worf101
10-06-2004, 05:53 AM
Since I've known a few souls who've danced with the devil and some that ain't

Pros: Small, popular, you can get the WaveRadio as give away's and door prizes and folks think they actually GOT SUMTHIN'. 901''s look "cool" or did when I was in the service. You can sometimes talk people out of buying them.

Cons: Overpriced, over simplified, under designed and way too popular. You sometimes CAN'T talk people out of buying them. Proprietary interface.

Da Worfster

Geoffcin
10-06-2004, 05:19 PM
A few weeks ago a rare occurrence happened. Me and my better half wound up at a Circuit City store in search of a present. You have to understand that this is a very rare thing, as I'm usually left (happily) to do all the electronics shopping. After not finding what we came for I decided that rather than the trip be totally wasted, we might check out the sound room. We were in luck as the kid who usually works the room was out, and I got to play with things undisturbed. That didn't last long though, the store manager had noticed us, and of course he wanted to be helpful. It seems BOSE is the flavor du jour at Circuit City, as he had a wonderful $1800 setup to show us. Well, the first thing he does is CRANK the system up, and that sent the bass module into the most incredible dissonant notes I've ever heard out of a speaker. It quite literally sounded like someone banging on a box with a rock. My wife looked horror as she thought he just broke the speaker, but he just blithely kept on playing it at high volume! After a good 30 seconds of this sonic assault I shouted at him that something sounded wrong with the bass module, and he just replied that "That's the way it's supposed to sound" After hearing this statement my wife broke into laughter, and I couldn't help smirking either. Heck, I wanted to hear what all the BOSE fuss was about, and this is what I get!? It looks like I'll never get a chance to hear one of these systems properly, as I'm NEVER going back in that sound room voluntarily.

eisforelectronic
10-07-2004, 03:37 AM
A few weeks ago a rare occurrence happened. Me and my better half wound up at a Circuit City store in search of a present. You have to understand that this is a very rare thing, as I'm usually left (happily) to do all the electronics shopping. After not finding what we came for I decided that rather than the trip be totally wasted, we might check out the sound room. We were in luck as the kid who usually works the room was out, and I got to play with things undisturbed. That didn't last long though, the store manager had noticed us, and of course he wanted to be helpful. It seems BOSE is the flavor du jour at Circuit City, as he had a wonderful $1800 setup to show us. Well, the first thing he does is CRANK the system up, and that sent the bass module into the most incredible dissonant notes I've ever heard out of a speaker. It quite literally sounded like someone banging on a box with a rock. My wife looked horror as she thought he just broke the speaker, but he just blithely kept on playing it at high volume! After a good 30 seconds of this sonic assault I shouted at him that something sounded wrong with the bass module, and he just replied that "That's the way it's supposed to sound" After hearing this statement my wife broke into laughter, and I couldn't help smirking either. Heck, I wanted to hear what all the BOSE fuss was about, and this is what I get!? It looks like I'll never get a chance to hear one of these systems properly, as I'm NEVER going back in that sound room voluntarily.

I think even Bose would be horrified by that demo. Official Bose salepeople have scripts, specific cd tracks, and dictated actions to follow. Not that's a particularly good thing.

amarmistry
10-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Bose Schmose..
Back in India, I was a BOSE-buff.. years ago, but then again, hey... I learned to find "Better sound thru Research".

Pro: It makes lot of people happy. Look, it sooo cuuutttee and sound so (loud!)..
Con: I wish I was Amar Bose and not Amar Mistry(I'd be rich!)

psonic
10-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Bose-

Pros: Nothing
Cons: Everything