CDNow's Preferred Buyers Club [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CDNow's Preferred Buyers Club

Jim Clark
12-10-2003, 10:58 AM
Has anyone signed up for this? This is the most confusing buyers club I have ever encountered. I got the email telling me of 20% or more off CDs If I register for the program. I follow the link to the PBC page but it doesn't mention how to sign up. After much time and effort I did finally manage to sign up but I couldn't refer you to the page I finally found that allowed me to do it, it was buried.

After signing up I received an email telling me that I was enrolled and I could access the pricing by simply logging in with my normal Amazon account. I placed my order which included 3 CD's but none showed any change in price from what I could have got without registering for the stupid program. The buyers club says that I must buy one CD at normal club pricing and then another within 12 months. My order of 3 should have satisfied that demand and I should have got at least 20% off one of the CD's and I didn't. I've emailed the guy in charge of the program and will be surprised if I get a response.

Has anyone else tried to use this program? What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
jc

tentoze
12-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Has anyone signed up for this? This is the most confusing buyers club I have ever encountered. I got the email telling me of 20% or more off CDs If I register for the program. I follow the link to the PBC page but it doesn't mention how to sign up. After much time and effort I did finally manage to sign up but I couldn't refer you to the page I finally found that allowed me to do it, it was buried.

After signing up I received an email telling me that I was enrolled and I could access the pricing by simply logging in with my normal Amazon account. I placed my order which included 3 CD's but none showed any change in price from what I could have got without registering for the stupid program. The buyers club says that I must buy one CD at normal club pricing and then another within 12 months. My order of 3 should have satisfied that demand and I should have got at least 20% off one of the CD's and I didn't. I've emailed the guy in charge of the program and will be surprised if I get a response.

Has anyone else tried to use this program? What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
jc

I don't buy from Amazon very often, and after your story, I think it shows good judgment on my part. I will say their turn-around time from order to delivery is quite good, in my experience. Sounds like this buyer's club promo is a bit smoke-and-mirrorish, though..............

;)

Dusty Chalk
12-10-2003, 04:16 PM
If it works the way it used to work, I think it needs to be in your wishlist first. In my case, I wasn't allowed to add anything to my wishlist after the sale started.

PS I hate CDNow. I'm so glad they got et.

Jim Clark
12-11-2003, 06:22 AM
Update on this frustrating saga. I did get a reply to my email and it's even more frustrating. The Buyer's Club can't even tell me how to register and order-unbelievable.

"Hello Jim,

Thank you for contacting The CDNOW Preferred Buyer's Club.

I am sorry that you have experienced a problem with your recent order.
The order number you have provided is an Amazon order number.

Therefore, we ask that you contact the Amazon.com customer service team
to assist you with this order and how you may join and order product
from the Preferred Buyers Club.

Please visit www.amazon.com/contact-us and select the link that best
matches your inquiry or you can call Amazon's customer service
department at 1-877-896-0038.

Sincerely,

Trevor A.
Customer Service
CDNOW Preferred Buyer's Club"

You have been warned.

jc

Jim Clark
12-11-2003, 07:40 AM
Final update on this fiasco. I was able to get out of this jacked up program so I shouldn't get charged for not meeting my 'obligations' under the club rules.

My final email to the Buyer's Club CSR is included:

"Thank you for your reply, it was fairly unexpected and a pleasant surprise. I contacted the customer service center as you suggested and they helped me cancel the Preferred Buyer's Club membership. Right now that's simply the easiest solution.

I encountered many problems trying to use the club, which is unfortunate. It seems the biggest would be:

-No sign up link on the page the email directed me to. That is a huge oversight.

-using the search function can take me out of the PBC selections. For example if I type in the band "Rapture" it takes me to a page with 2 buyers club CD's with that word in it. Since neither of these is the one I want I need to search again. If I use the search function on the current page it takes me away from the PBC selections. In essence nothing I want is a club selection but I didn't know that at the time. I was under the mistaken impression that all CD's were available to club members when it's only a very limited list of titles.

Regards,
Jim Clark