I beg to differ (Nomeansno) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I beg to differ (Nomeansno)

Finch Platte
10-04-2004, 06:14 AM
There's a review of the Nomeansno/Hanson Brothers: Would We Be...Live? DVD in the latest ish of Wonka Vision magazine (#25- www.wonkavisionmagazine.com). The reviewer (Jason Schreurs) claims to be a huge Nomeansno fan, and then states the DVD "looks and sounds awesome."

Frankly, it sounds like sh!t. This is a poorly recorded live event. Also being a Nomeansno fan (altho nowhere near Jason, I'm sure), I was very disappointed in the sound quality when I popped it in. Just be warned, if you plan to pick it up based on his review.

Also, Jason calls Nomeansno "dark and brooding...". Well, they may be that, but they also have a sense of humor, too, which is readily apparent in songs like Big DIck, S*x Mad and many others, in both their lyrics and the way they write and perform the songs.

Jason, I feel you're doing Nomeansno a disfavor by describing these things incorrectly, and I wanted to set the record (or DVD, as it were) straight.

I do agree with Jason overall, when he recommends picking up this DVD. It'll be a worthwhile addition to your collection, if you're any kind of a Nomeansno/Hanson Bros fan.

fp

Subscribing to Wonka is only $10 (4 issues), and includes free CDs.

Stone
10-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Jason calls Nomeansno "dark and brooding...".

I don't have all of their stuff, but based on the 4 albums I have, I wouldn't use either of those words to describe them, especially musically.

Thanks for the heads up; I didn't even know they had a DVD out.

Finch Platte
10-04-2004, 11:43 AM
I don't have all of their stuff, but based on the 4 albums I have, I wouldn't use either of those words to describe them, especially musically.

Thanks for the heads up; I didn't even know they had a DVD out.

...I don't have a problem with that. :) ...maybe if you have a disc or two I don't have, you might let me check 'em out?

Some of their lyrics can be disturbing, I'll give 'em that.

fp

-Jar-
10-04-2004, 12:50 PM
I got to see them once! they seemed to tour out east very rarely.

I've always thought of them as decendents of the Minutemen.. lots of awesome basswork.

Great band.

-jar

Finch Platte
10-04-2004, 01:26 PM
...lots of awesome basswork.

Great band.

-jar

He's definitely got a tone-of-his-own. Too bad on the DVD it sounds more like a guitar.

He's frickin' old, too. He looks like Hannibal Lecter. :eek:

fp