Relocated to UK... Need some advice! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Relocated to UK... Need some advice!

landshark99
10-04-2004, 05:11 AM
Reccently moved to the UK, sold everything but my speakers (paradigm v2 100's and HSU Sub etc...) and put those in storage back in the states. Currently have open ended contract and don't have any plans on returning to the states right now so I look at this move as "permanent". I'm setting myself up here as I get things together, bank account, place to live, mobile phone, etc... and need some speaker advice. Looking to get a nice setup here for my flat. Any recommendations on where to look or the brands (B&W?) to look at would be great. My budget is elastic somewhat but looking in the mid £700's to £900 range for front speakers... lower would be better :) but i know how that works!

I do not currently have an amp or receiver but want to purchase the best possible speakers I can for the money now and work on that next. I really love(d) my Paradigms... really miss them, but I know they are rare over here. Thanks again for any help you can give.

My place is pretty big, about 1500 sq feet... 3 bedroom split level with 14th century solid stone walls on all sides with a listening area of about 20 x 15 enclosed (doors) one window on the long side ( small) and tall ceilings.. (about 15+ feet)

Thanks

Chris

Lord_Magnepan
10-04-2004, 05:26 AM
Well since you are now British ;-)

try a

Rega Planet 2000 CD Player
Rega BRIO
Rega ELA

:p

alumpkin
10-04-2004, 06:22 AM
I have B&W 604 fronts and an Arcam AVR-300 receiver. I absolutely love my B&W's... warm sounding and fantastic tweeters. I would highly recommend you checking out B&W as a whole. From looking at discussions at this site and others, I see that people either love B&W or like them, just some other brand better. I know that is a really vague statement... all I am trying to say is to check them out.

Also, I really think the Arcam accentuates the B&W's very well... better than the Rotel pre/pro and amps I looked at and listened to. And it does it all in one package.

Anyway, just my two cents.

landshark99
10-04-2004, 06:33 AM
Yes i auditioned the B&W and Paradigms at the same time when i was shopping around last year and really enjoyed them both, but when it came down to it i preferred the paradigms and I got a price break as the new v3 came out the same week i bought mine... but, i would have bought the B&W's in a sec:) just wondering if there were other speakers I should listen too here since there seems to be quite a few brands I'm unfamilar with (iam a newbee :)) B&W's are on top of my list right now, but not a definite purchase...

topspeed
10-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Congrats on your move. You now have access to some terrific speakers that aren't nearly as well known on this side of the pond. Check out Spendor, Quad, Dali, Audio Physic, Harbeth, and Audio Note. What a nice opportunity to expand your horizons!

Have fun!

BillB
10-04-2004, 08:23 AM
Along the same lines as topspeed's response...pick up a copy of HiFi Choice at your local newsagent to get some idea of the many new names easily available to you. The UK is known for producing much of the best affordable HiFi gear on the planet.

Bill

Lord_Magnepan
10-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Rega and Cambridge Audio to name some of the bigger names

RGA
10-04-2004, 03:43 PM
In Britain...drum roll - Audio Note speakers. The AN J/Spe has better more tuneful bass than the 100V2 and easily surpasses it musically. It is pricey but you may find some deals as they're made in Britain. Check out Hi-fi choice for the reviews. The J/Spe got the same ratings as the AN E but the J only goes to 25hz-6db. The magazine kept the E in 1992 and they kept the current version. Best advantage is you can buy Single Ended low power amplifiers and get incredible sound and still get the volume. Something like the Sugden A21a for a Solid State or Audio Note or OTHER SET amps.

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=475

But you are in Britain so look at Spendor, ATC, Harbeth as well. All of these are tougher to drive but may hold some interest for you.

Good luck in the UK.