Progressive Scan DVD player for plasma HELP [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Scan DVD player for plasma HELP

Jonny Ice
10-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Ok, So i've been looking at some ED plasmas and realized that may DVD player may not cut it...It is the Sony SACD/CD/DVD 5 disc changer...with component out, but is not progressive scan...I hear this may cause me some sadness when i hook her up to the potential plasma...are their any relatively cheap progressive scan DVD players out there that can cut it....I dont need anything fancy as i already have the changer...
any help is much appreciated!
Thanks

Smokey
10-03-2004, 07:52 PM
How about Toshiba - SD-3960:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6158

eqm
10-04-2004, 06:59 AM
Ok, So i've been looking at some ED plasmas and realized that may DVD player may not cut it...It is the Sony SACD/CD/DVD 5 disc changer...with component out, but is not progressive scan...I hear this may cause me some sadness when i hook her up to the potential plasma...are their any relatively cheap progressive scan DVD players out there that can cut it....I dont need anything fancy as i already have the changer...
any help is much appreciated!
Thanks

if you're going to go cheap, save your money...! your plasma will make everything 480p and will probably have a better upconversion than a cheap dvd anyway!

Jonny Ice
10-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Thanks...I am probably going to wait and see how the plasma does with my current Sony...If I see issues, I most likely will be willing to pay up to $150 if i am going to get a great bang for the buck!

Jonny Ice
10-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Does a plasma with Faroudja DCDi built-in help this process?

AVMASTER
10-10-2004, 04:51 AM
yes, to some degree; but why a ED plasma? Why a plasma ? What model r u considering?

Jonny Ice
10-10-2004, 06:36 AM
For space considerations I need a plasma and on my kiddy budget an ED will do for now...I am awaiting shipment on the Zenith P42W46X...I was considering the much heralded Sony 34" XBR tube HD, but the screen was just too small....I also looked at the heralded Panny ED Plasma and it didnt do it for me...so im going to take my chances.

AVMASTER
10-10-2004, 10:36 AM
For space considerations I need a plasma and on my kiddy budget an ED will do for now...I am awaiting shipment on the Zenith P42W46X...I was considering the much heralded Sony 34" XBR tube HD, but the screen was just too small....I also looked at the heralded Panny ED Plasma and it didnt do it for me...so im going to take my chances.
interesting choice of words, " on my kiddy budget an ED will do for now " and yet you've turned away the 34" Sony XBR because of screen size? No slamm against you but you are the perfect example of a disturbing trend in this industry; I'll call it "the good-enough buyer", those who are willing to give up performance over form/design/price. I've no problem with a good deal and I'm sure you got one on the Zenith but I've yet to see a inexpensive plasma perform any where near as good as a top notch CRT, let along an ED plasma!!!!! At least the Panasonic has a ATSC tuner, but i shall assume from your previous posts that you'll just be using it for DVD playback; in essense the ED plasma will be "good-enough".
In any case, good luck with your new plasma

Jonny Ice
10-10-2004, 01:41 PM
The tuner is a non-issue for me...I will be using the DVI connection for my HD feeds that are coming from my forthcoming cable box...There's about 13 HD channels and the rest will just be digital cable and DVD...I understand what you mean...i am settling...but i am a kiddy and since i dont live in my own house, it is hard to justify spending that $2100 on a 34" widescreen, when its not some overwhelming picture and i dont own the "real estate" that it is takign up...I am upgrading from an old 27" Zenith...so at this point anything will be an upgrade...sorry if it seems as if i have an itchy trigger finger, but i just need a new tv, after dealing with my old crt my whole life...i work in the music biz, i know about some disturbing trends!