Velodyne Subwoofer Question? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Velodyne Subwoofer Question?

Marc B.
10-03-2004, 01:02 PM
How would rate the the Velodyne CHT12 Subwoofer?

Thanks for any info.
Marc

Lord_Magnepan
10-03-2004, 01:09 PM
Well i once owned a CT100 which was a predecessor. I liked him a lot, for its size and prize he was truly special. For a more musical sub i would give the Rega Vulcan and Rel Quake a good listen. The velodyne "to my ears" or more a Movie sub. But still great ;-)

Geoffcin
10-03-2004, 02:35 PM
How would rate the the Velodyne CHT12 Subwoofer?

Thanks for any info.
Marc

Velodyne has been doing subs for longer than almost anyone. The CHT line is thier most affordable models, but still packs a punch.

In the Spetember issue of Sound & Vision, Tom Nousaine did a test of some of the player in the 12" sub market, and the Velodyne did very well, especially in the "bang for buck" catagory.

vr6ofpain
10-03-2004, 04:45 PM
I love my VA-907.2, it has an 8" front firing woofer(2" voicecoil and 55oz magnet), a 10" downward firing passive raditor and a 100 watt RMS, 250 watt peak class A/B amp. I have been very impressed with it ever since I purchased it almost a decade ago.

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/manuals/VA907.2.pdf

Geoffcin
10-03-2004, 04:52 PM
I love my VA-907.2, it has an 8" front firing woofer(2" voicecoil and 55oz magnet), a 10" downward firing passive raditor and a 100 watt RMS, 250 watt peak class A/B amp. I have been very impressed with it ever since I purchased it almost a decade ago.

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/manuals/VA907.2.pdf

Mans had a sub for a decade with no problems. Most of the powered subs are only warrenteed for 1 or 2 years, so 10 years without a problem is a big deal.

vr6ofpain
10-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Mans had a sub for a decade with no problems. Most of the powered subs are only warrenteed for 1 or 2 years, so 10 years without a problem is a big deal.

:)
Ya know, that is a good point. I really like my sub, but never really thought about how long I have had it. All these years and it still sounds (and looks) great:

http://www.parts4vws.com/images/members/redventoglx/DSCF0303.JPG
*sorry, the pic is kinda crappy.

C Bennett
10-16-2004, 07:44 AM
I think you will like it. I had to make a choice for my HT set up it came down to the Velodyne you are asking about and its smaller 10" brother, the CSW 10" and 12" subs and the Atlantic Technology T70 10". I decided that for my smaller living room and space that the 10" would do fine so I listened to all. They were all good but at $179 the AT sub just beat out the others in price so thats what I got. I was close to getting the Velodyne but actually saved $10 :) with the AT sub. So yes its a decent sub for its price.

Geoffcin
10-16-2004, 08:35 AM
I think you will like it. I had to make a choice for my HT set up it came down to the Velodyne you are asking about and its smaller 10" brother, the CSW 10" and 12" subs and the Atlantic Technology T70 10". I decided that for my smaller living room and space that the 10" would do fine so I listened to all. They were all good but at $179 the AT sub just beat out the others in price so thats what I got. I was close to getting the Velodyne but actually saved $10 :) with the AT sub. So yes its a decent sub for its price.

I got a CSW 12s" for $162 off of ebay. The thing works great, it's very musical, and for HT it's probably the biggest bang for the buck I've seen. CSW give you the same warrentee when purchased off of Ebay too.