Ridin' the blueberry boat [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ridin' the blueberry boat

-Jar-
10-03-2004, 05:18 AM
with the Firey Furnaces was an interesting journey.. I feel like I took a boat ride into a freakish musical house of history.. ya know one of those boat rides kind of like in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? "I think I'm having a freak-out!"

Along the way are distorted images of Ween, old old Sebadoh, Helium, His Name is Alive, some fleeting images of classic rock and musicals, plus the normal psychotic merry-go-round music you might hear at a fair.

It's a lot to digest, I'm not used to music that's so very lyric-focused, but they create such interesting sonic backdrops for their weird tales of beenie babies, TCBY, blacksmiths and other weird topics that it's difficult to stop listening. I'm definately reminded of Ween's THE POD. Almost too many musical ideas to fit into one album, but they do it somehow.

They don't really hit on what really turns me on about music.. they sort of hit everything else though, much to like, much to appreciate.

-jar

Slosh
10-03-2004, 05:46 AM
That's an interesting (and apt) way to put it. They also often veer off my usual musical path but it's all so well done and compelling (a contradiction I know but those who have heard this album will know what I'm talking about) that I nearly always end up just listening to the whole album, even when I intended to just play a few cuts. Is there any higher praise than that? This is one of those albums that you just know right away will be a cult classic.

NP: Earlimart - Treble & Tremble (which just may be good enough to challenge Blueberry Boat for my best of '04, or at least place very highly in my top ten)

Davey
10-03-2004, 11:26 AM
If you're ridin' the blueberry boat, better keep a watch out for the pirates, because.....

<i>The radar said nothing and nothing crossed my mind
when they came starboard side up from behind.
I never saw them coming even though it was light;
they beat two of my men simply out of spite.
And then they came back to the helm, kicked me over and said
Do what we say or we'll kill you and your men.
I looked back at those pirates with their beady little eyes;
I gathered my courage and I could see their surprise
when I said Go ahead you could cut my throat
but you ain't never getting the cargo of my blueberry boat.
--It's sad and it's cold at the bottom of the sea
but at least I got my blueberries with me.</i>

:)

<i><font size="-1">"Lyrically, they've crafted the most complete concept stories of recent memory; with these epics, they spin range from credit card fraud to pirates to joining the army to a dog finding religious enlightenment. But musically? That's where it gets tough. The Furnaces touch on everything from the Beatles to Pink Floyd, Dylan, early Americana folk and blues, the Who (faintly), Captain Beefheart, the inventiveness of the Velvets, PJ Harvey, Patti Smith, Queen, Radiohead, the ADD of Guided By Voices, the heavy trip hop production of the Bristol Massive, Bjork, Royal Trux, etc. etc. Throw all of the above mentioned bands into a blender, add some Jack Daniels and puree--the end result is something wholly original and enjoyable, an extremely rare combination. Suffice to say the Friedbergers have made a cogent statement that leaves most other contemporary acts in the dust." http://www.cokemachineglow.com/reviews/fieryfurnaces_blueberry2004.html </font></i>

Dusty Chalk
10-04-2004, 04:56 AM
And you guys think I listen to some W.A.S. (http://patriot.net/~dusty/was.html)?
It's a lot to digest, I'm not used to music that's so very lyric-focused, but they create such interesting sonic backdrops for their weird tales of beenie babies, TCBY, blacksmiths and other weird topics that it's difficult to stop listening.And don't forget the lost dog.
Along the way are distorted images of Ween, old old Sebadoh, Helium, His Name is Alive, some fleeting images of classic rock and musicals, plus the normal psychotic merry-go-round music you might hear at a fair. I definitely hear some They Might Be Giants.

tentoze
10-04-2004, 06:38 AM
I've only heard the 2 cuts on Davey's comp, and I ain't so sure I'm ready to trade in my sliced bread yet.

-Jar-
10-04-2004, 07:38 AM
I've only heard the 2 cuts on Davey's comp, and I ain't so sure I'm ready to trade in my sliced bread yet.

I heard a cut (don't know which one) on the radio a few weeks before everyone started talking about them around here.. but, I just remember thinking WTF?!? .. but, after listening to the whole album, they pieces fall together a bit more. I have to admit, taken out of context, the songs are pretty bizzarre. In all honestly, I don't know how I could possibly fit them onto a comp, because I can think of any bands that would go on either side of them.. Postal Service maybe? I don't have any Postal Service though.

-jar

Davey
10-04-2004, 08:02 AM
NP: Earlimart - Treble & Tremble (which just may be good enough to challenge Blueberry Boat for my best of '04, or at least place very highly in my top ten)
So how does that whole Elliott Smith aspect to the album play out? Is it very overt? For those not in the know, the singer/songwriter for Earlimart was Elliott Smith's neighbor and good friend and this album is something of a tribute to him. Even the cover seems to be inspired by ES with "XOXO" underlining the simple drawing. What little I've read about it suggests it may be a bit more dynamic than the last one...is that true Sloshy? I liked the last one but it just never snuck all the way into my heart because I think it was just too non-dynamic. I guess that's what bothered me about the last Grandaddy album as well, compared to The Sophtware Slump which I thought was more balanced. Guess I'm just really getting back into dynamics in music the last couple years and that's why all the albums from bands like Broken Social Scene and Arcade Fire and The Fiery Furnaces and the Honeydogs have been knocking me out. Still like the gloom and doom, but just not as a steady diet :)

Slosh
10-04-2004, 01:19 PM
So how does that whole Elliott Smith aspect to the album play out? Is it very overt? For those not in the know, the singer/songwriter for Earlimart was Elliott Smith's neighbor and good friend and this album is something of a tribute to him. Even the cover seems to be inspired by ES with "XOXO" underlining the simple drawing.

How the hell should I know? I don't even have any Elliot Smith albums. :( It is dedicated to him, though.

What little I've read about it suggests it may be a bit more dynamic than the last one...is that true Sloshy? I liked the last one but it just never snuck all the way into my heart because I think it was just too non-dynamic. )

Yes, that's true. Naturally they're gonna get compared to Grandaddy and I'd say it's somewhere between Slump and Sum. There are definitely more upbeat, and even a few rawkin' songs here. There's still a lot of acoustic based sounds fleshed out with synths, which they do so well IMO. I like it more than Everyone Down Here but the funny thing is it somehow made me see Everyone in a new light and I appreciate it even more now. I'll have to get my hands on some of their earlier albums, which I've read are supposed to be more garagey.

Dusty Chalk
10-04-2004, 05:28 PM
...I just remember thinking WTF?!? .. but, after listening to the whole album, they pieces fall together a bit more. I have to admit, taken out of context, the songs are pretty bizzarre.Nope, even in context, they're pretty bizarre.

But remember who's talking -- bizarre==good.
In all honestly, I don't know how I could possibly fit them onto a comp, because I can think of any bands that would go on either side of them.. I think violent juxtapositions would rule the day. Put some Slayer on one side, and some Henry Mancini on the other. That'll win ya.

chrisnz
10-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Well going off the two tracks on Davey's comp (Lost Dog and Mason City) I'm somewhat conflicted too. I find the Dog thing mildly annoying but Mason City's great. How you'd introduce it in a comp remains a mystery to me but I think after Mason City I'd have a pause to reflect and then go back to first principles with something off Bonnie Prince Billys - I See A Darkness. But that could really suck so maybe Henry Mancini would be the ticket :-)

tentoze
10-04-2004, 10:18 PM
A very interesting melding proposition there, chris- I wuz thinking Arthur Brown on one side and Andre Previn on the other........

Slosh
10-04-2004, 11:23 PM
In all honestly, I don't know how I could possibly fit them onto a comp, because I can't think of any bands that would go on either side of them.

On a comp-in-progress I have "Chief Inspector Blancheflower" nestled between Earlimart's "Unintentional Tape Manipulations" and Modest Mouse's "The View" and it flows quite well, although I did lop off the first part of the song to get there.

Davey
10-05-2004, 01:50 PM
How you'd introduce it in a comp remains a mystery to me but I think after Mason City I'd have a pause to reflect and then go back to first principles with something off Bonnie Prince Billys - I See A Darkness. But that could really suck so maybe Henry Mancini would be the ticket :-)

A very interesting melding proposition there, chris- I wuz thinking Arthur Brown on one side and Andre Previn on the other........
I thought Mason City into Wheat's Body Talk was genius. Inspired. The perfect flow. Match made in heaven. If I could just find that emoticon with the guy dropping trou.....oh wait, there's my buddy....

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/moonboy.gif

tentoze
10-05-2004, 02:11 PM
I thought Mason City into Wheat's Body Talk was genius. Inspired. The perfect flow. Match made in heaven. If I could just find that emoticon with the guy dropping trou.....oh wait, there's my buddy....

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/moonboy.gif
:p

It did work, Davey. But it never hurts to drill some different holes around the original well and see what you find.................

BWAHAAAHAAAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!