Totem Mite & Dynaudio Audience 52 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Totem Mite & Dynaudio Audience 52

vr6ofpain
10-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Who has experience with Totem speakers?

My buddy has a pair of their smallest speakers, the Mite.
http://www.totemacoustic.com/english/images/photos/mite.jpg
I think they sound pretty good. The sound is quite smooth(I'm not a fan of bright speakers) and they sound much bigger than they are. Considering they are a small rear-ported bookshelf with a 5.25" woofer and a 1" softdome they sound very nice. I was really impressed by them.

I'm considering some for myself, but I was wondering about their other, larger products. I know several of their models seem to have what I believe is a Dynaudio woofer(has that obvious dust cap with the openings).
http://www.totemacoustic.com/english/images/photos/model1.jpg

This brings me to another question, who here has some Dynaudio Audience 52's?
http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/photo/aud/new%20aud/aud52.jpg
I read a few good comments on here about them and want to hear them myself(found a dealer about 1.5 hours away). How would these compare to say a Paradigm Studio 20? How are the highs, bright? I honestly find myself leaning more toward a more laid back top end(personal preference). I'm wondering how these do. I usually prefer the sound of soft/silk/fabric dome tweeters over metal ones, though obviously I have heard some metal dome setups that were not that bad.

Anyone have any recommendations for a smaller bookshelf(single 5.25" or 6.5") with a laid back top end, for ~$800 a pair?

ROJ
10-03-2004, 12:38 AM
I own Dynaudio Audience 52s. I love the speakers. To me, the speakers were exactly what I sought: detailed, smooth, and neutral speakers. I compared the 52s to the Paradigm Studio 20s at the same dealer with the same electronics (Rotel) in the same room. I thought the Studio 20s were nice speakers, but with a different sound. Compared to the 52s, the 20s were a little more forward and not quite as neutral.

If possible, it is best to listen to both of the speakers. Even though I thought the 20s were more forward and little brighter than the 52s, I am sure others may disagree as we all have different definitions of the terms. I am not trying to criticize the Studio 20s as many people think they are excellent speakers for good reasons. For my tastes, however, which sound similar to your tastes, the 52s worked better for me than the studio 20s.

Lord_Magnepan
10-03-2004, 02:52 AM
I agree with the above member!! But i think that the Paradigms dont work to well with Rotel. Personally i am not a big fan of Rotel sound. I think the Paradigms woudnt sound so bright with Unison Research. What electronics are you going to use with the speakers? If i were looking for a "box" i would pick a Dynaudio or a Audio Physics.....

RGA
10-03-2004, 01:55 PM
I would take the Dane 52 as well or the 42 for that matter. I really like the Dane 52. I reviewed them along with others in threads down the page. As a cheaper option I would try the Audio Note AX-Two whcih are also smaller speakers. The advantage is higher sensitivity and can be run off low watt tube amps very very well. Should you ever want to try Single Ended tube amplifiers(and you never know) the Danes won't work well. I am biased as an Audio Note owner - but the AX-Two is only $550.00 so what the hell it won;t hurt to try and save a few bucks. but the Dane 52 is excellent and you can't go wrong with them. Totem no loger uses Dynaudio drivers and some feel they suffer as a result. I'm not necessaarily one of those some but I do find them a bit overpriced for what you get.

vr6ofpain
10-03-2004, 05:00 PM
as well or the 42 for that matter.

Considering that I have a sub(Velodyne VA-907.2), do you think a pair of the 42's would make more sense? I obviously won't need the 'shelves to have bass extension, because the sub will take care of that. The reason I was thinking about this is because I currently am running a set of MB Quart QLC200 'shelves(6.5" woofer, front ported) high passed at 80hz through my Lexicon CP-3. My Velodyne is lowpassed from 80hz. I was thinking maybe the 42's would make more sense(plus they would have the advantage of being cheaper!).

*Since sensitivity was brought up I have to mention that whatever 'shelves I go with will be driven by an Adcom GFA-545(100w per channel @ 8 ohms, more at 4 ohms, though not specified in the manual). It is more than capable of driving a 4 ohm load, and has been for the past year.

RGA
10-03-2004, 08:20 PM
I generally prefer having the most full range speaker I can. To me there more than just a bass extension advantage with the 52. That said why pay more than you need to.

DO NOT BUY without hearing what the speakers can do musically all by themselves. Is the tone right for you etc. I reviewed the 42 and 52 in one of three threads down the page. Yes your amp should do fine with the 42. I bring the AX Two up simply because it is cheaper than the 42 and opens up future options - as well as IMO sounding better - but it's also real tough to find as their only about 25 dealers in all of North America.

The 52 is a more breathy speaker - more open sounding. The AX-Two interestingly is also made in Holland - maybe they have the goods over there. The two is also the best low volume speaker of the lot IMO. All I can say if you stick with the Danes is to listen to both and determine if it's more of a bass improvement. The dollars are significant between the two. The B&W 602S3 could also be considered - it's a little less refined in the treble but not bright like some and will offer a bigger room filling sound than some as well. It's a bit cheaper than the 42 here as well.

I reviewed em all here http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6696

eisforelectronic
10-04-2004, 06:24 AM
I have only heard Dynaudio on a convention floor setting, so I cannot really speak for them.

I have heard Totem Mite's, Model 1's, Forrest, Arro's, Mite-T center, in-walls, and I own a pair of Dreamcatchers. In all cases I have been quite impressed. As far as my Dreamcatchers go, their sound is not perfect and they do lack bass, however they have enough clarity and detail to keep me satisfied. I do think they sound a bit better than the Mite's though. I have always wanted a pair of Model 1's for music listenng and I've thought about Model 1 twins for home theater. Anyway all of their products certainly satisfy.

Peter Duminy
10-07-2004, 08:55 AM
We use a pair of Dynaudio Audience 52's in the Lab here as a reference. It is a lively neutral sound, with an amazing fast paced bass. We tested the Totem, but could not justify the extra expense. But like others have said, try to audition in your own home on a trial basis. What can sound bright in one room can sound dull in another. Some dealers will part with their demo models for the weekend, or make a housecall.