So what's new and interesting? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So what's new and interesting?

Slosh
10-01-2004, 08:51 AM
The fall is great. After a slow start for interesting-to-me new releases, new things are finally starting to trickle in. Case in point, I just picked up the new Earlimart album today, Treble & Tremble, and goddamn it's good! :) I'm still on the first spin but man, they really grew from their previous album (which was no slouch either).

That Old Canes album that Davey's been talking about arrived yesterday and I like it a lot. Giant Sand Is All Over The Map has been growing on me big time, plus I'm expecting albums from Rogue Wave and The Arcade Fire to show up soon (hopefully this weekend).

Anyone know when the new Beck album is due out? I may have to pass on that one initially if there's a DVD-A or SACD version in the works.

So what are you delving into at the moment?

DarrenH
10-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Brian Wilson presents SMiLE. I've had this since last Tuesday actually and I think it's pretty good. I've never heard anything from this except for "Good Vibrations" so it was completely new a real treat to finally hear it.

I received in the mail yesterday the lastest addition to the Miles Davis Columbia Legacy box set series. Vol 3 - Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings of Miles Davis 1963-64. It's a 7 disc set that includes a bunch of live and unreleased bits and chronicles a period of time between his first great quintet and his second. I can't wait to tear into this tonight.

Darren

Dave_G
10-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Well, Nobody sent me a reggae comp that I will surely enjoy.

Also I borrowed Van Halen 1984 and Fair Warning from a buddy to check out, and also Queensryche's Rage For Order.

And I have The Killers and Franz Ferdinand to check out, I like Killers a lot.

Plus a Glass Hammer dvd.

Dave

Slosh
10-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Also I borrowed Queensryche's Rage For Order.

That's by far their best, IMO. That's one album I would rebuy if it were to come out on DVD-A.

Dusty Chalk
10-01-2004, 10:25 AM
I am definitely enjoying that Jim White, Drill A Hole In The Substrate And Tell Me What You See -- some other points of reference: Paul Simon, Robbie Robertson, Timbuk3.

tentoze
10-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Came back to Las Vegas last night after 2 storm-driven weeks in FL- had comps from Davey, Nobody, and Jar in the mailbox. Got 4 cuts into Davey's on the way in to work this AM (liked 'em all so far, and I didn't get depressed on a single one of 'em yet), and looking forward to da reggae from Nobody, and Jar's looks like one that deserves some spinnage this weekend, if I get any time off from work. Thanks to all 3 of youse.

tentoze
10-01-2004, 10:31 AM
I really like the new Jim White as well- quite a different sound than his previous 2.

tentoze
10-01-2004, 10:43 AM
BTW, Davey, if you see this, post another link to the freaking track list for that damn comp- I can't find ANYTHING by searching on this software.

Slosh
10-01-2004, 11:15 AM
BTW, Davey, if you see this, post another link to the freaking track list for that damn comp- I can't find ANYTHING by searching on this software.

Go to

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hneel/software.htm

and install HACP. Don't worry, it's a real quick download and there's no junk attached to the file. It's just for playing CDs so you'll still need Windows Media Player (or whatever) for mp3s and such. HACP reads CD-Text and has freedb for non-text CDs.

Stone
10-01-2004, 11:23 AM
The new Faint record is pretty good, but "Erection" seems a bit out of place. I swear that song could have been a Sigue Sigue Sputnik tune. Other parts of it sound very Vince Clarke influenced, but it's certainly not Speak and Spell II. The album is a slight departure from Danse Macabre, as Dusty pointed out, but so far I really like it.

I've also been listening to the Features, Beep Beep, and Travistan. Travistan certainly doesn't hold up (at least on my two spins of it) to the Dismemberment Plan stuff, but giving it a 0.0 (as Pitchfork did) is ridiculous and such a fuc<a>king</a> copout. I like Pitchfork less and less as time goes on. Okay, enough ranting.

Gotta get The Arcade Fire and Smile too, if for nothing else to see how it compares to the couple of bootleg versions I've heard.

Davey
10-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Sorry for my lapse in professionalism on this one.....http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbicomps.htm#Down_the_Road_Again

And if I still lived down there in the freakin' desert, I'd say to you in my best sarcastically dripping voice, "Welcome home!" :rolleyes:

Davey
10-01-2004, 11:35 AM
I'm put together beautifully
Big wet bottle in my fist
Big wet rose in my teeth

I'm a perfect piece of ass
Like every Californian
So tall I take over the street

With high beams shining up my back
A wingspan unbelievable
I'm a festival
I'm a parade

And all the wine is all for me
And all the wine is all for me
And all the wine is all for me......

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/party.gif

Oh, and did I forget to mention that I've got some Lagunitas India Pale Ale cooling in the fridge for later? Mmmmmmm.....hoppy ale from Petaluma :)

tentoze
10-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Not meant to be a commentary on yr production at all- I was frustrated because I knew you had posted alink previously, and this crappy software's search function is almost non-existent, at leat to me. Thanks for the link.

et

chrisnz
10-01-2004, 09:03 PM
The last three I ordered but don't have yet are...

Junior Boys - Last Exit
Foreign Exchange - Connected
Madvillain - Madvillainy

Isn't there a new Nick Cave out/due?

audiobill
10-02-2004, 04:15 AM
I've been on a nouveau punk kick these past few days.

Just bought the new Green Day "American Idiot". Second spin, so far, and I really really like it. Dripping with political commentary against we know who. Man, are these guys ever in top form. Loved them when they first hit the music scene and love them still -- I know this is not indie-cred-snob stuff, but I like it.

Also, this Friday I picked up an album by a band called Bigwig. This was purely on instinct, as it was on the same rack as the Green Day CD. It's titled "an invitation to tragedy". If you like crunchy guitars with ascerbic lyrics this is definitely one for you. Me likes, so far.

Cheers,
audiobill

Stone
10-02-2004, 04:39 AM
Also, this Friday I picked up an album by a band called Bigwig. This was purely on instinct, as it was on the same rack as the Green Day CD. It's titled "an invitation to tragedy". If you like crunchy guitars with ascerbic lyrics this is definitely one for you. Me likes, so far.

They have a great song on Short Music For Short People. Here are the lyrics:

Well, I'd club a baby seal
But you know I won't ingest it
I'd tell my vegan girlfriend
You know I wouldn't suggest it

Well, all my shoes are leather
And I don't care whether or not
If all the cute little animals were to be shot
Were to be SHOT

(spoken)
Consider someone else
Stop preaching about animals

I may have to check out one of their full lengths. Let us know how you like it.

Lord_Magnepan
10-03-2004, 08:16 AM
Well i dont know if its new but my last were

Therion- Sirius B
Therion- Lemuria
Nightwish- Oceanborn
Nightwish- Century Child
Nightwish- Live

3-LockBox
10-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Brian Wilson presents SMiLE. I've had this since last Tuesday actually and I think it's pretty good. I've never heard anything from this except for "Good Vibrations" so it was completely new a real treat to finally hear it.

I think I saw this at Circuit City the other day. I've heard on other sites that Wilson gives a pretty good accounting of himself on stage. (although, I still think he talks like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack)

audiobill
10-04-2004, 06:37 AM
They have a great song on Short Music For Short People. Here are the lyrics:

Well, I'd club a baby seal
But you know I won't ingest it
I'd tell my vegan girlfriend
You know I wouldn't suggest it

Well, all my shoes are leather
And I don't care whether or not
If all the cute little animals were to be shot
Were to be SHOT

(spoken)
Consider someone else
Stop preaching about animals

I may have to check out one of their full lengths. Let us know how you like it.

Hey, Stone.

I like it. It, especially, has some "hardcore" elements that give their punk an edgy quality.
I still need to hear it several more times. Nevertheless, bigwig impresses me.

Mr MidFi
10-04-2004, 08:11 AM
I picked up the new 7-song EP of cover tunes from Los Lobos, Ride This. I've only spun a couple of times, but I'd say it's worth the price of admission. Highlights include an angry, deliberately paced rendition of Richard Thompson's "Shoot Out the Lights," a fun and catchy Tom Waits number (whose name escapes me), "Uncomplicated" from Elvis Costello, and a good old-fashioned stomper originally by The Blasters (does it really matter which one?). When they veer off into soul, R&B and salsa...it's OK, but just OK.