Heard some Joss Stone last night [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Heard some Joss Stone last night

Hyfi
10-01-2004, 04:51 AM
WXPN played a track from the new Joss Stone while I was driving home last night. I'm not sure of the title but the music was a direct ripoff of "Am I The Same Girl" by Swing Out Sister. That was what I thought she was going to sing after I heard the intro. It was probably another cover tune but it was a real disapointment to hear them rip off other music for the arangement.

Anyone else heard any thing from the new Joss Stone?

Mike
10-01-2004, 05:06 AM
Anyone else heard any thing from the new Joss Stone?

I've heard about half a dozen decent length samples from the album and to be honest it left me a bit cold. I still like her voice and it sounds like they have tried to re-capture the sound of her debut but none of the songs or arrangements did it for me. Vocally to me she sounded like she was trying a bit too hard, the slower tracks sounded better.

I suppose I'll buy it someday or gleam a copy from a friend but it's not high on my list at the moment. In the British press right now I sense a bit of a backlash going on against her, over exposure for an artist is never a good thing. One journalist commented something like "5 years from now will we wonder what all the fuss was about", and I kind of agree.

Cheers
Mike

Hyfi
10-01-2004, 05:16 AM
Vocally to me she sounded like she was trying a bit too hard, the slower tracks sounded better.

Cheers
Mike

That was exactly what I thought while listening to the song I heard. She will have a hard time topping "Fell in Love With A Boy" as far as emotion and dynamics and range.