Degauss [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Degauss

tpcounty
09-30-2004, 04:10 PM
Can you degauss a tv tube? I have a 9 year old Sony 27" TV that has some discolration in the upper right corner of the screen. On a blue background it looks like a slightly yello/green smudge in the corner. I am assuming I must have had a magnetic source of some sort come near that corner. Or is this an indicator of somethng else?

eisforelectronic
10-01-2004, 01:24 AM
degaussing may help if it was indeed caused by a magnetic source. It's not incredibly hard to do, although I don't know what a tech would charge to do it. Then again, it's 9 years old, a comparable model probably would cost a lot less than this one did originally.

Worf101
10-01-2004, 05:40 AM
35-inch mankiller had instructions for degaussing. It involved turning the TV in a certain direction till the discoloration disappered and turning it off and on once and moving it back into position or perhaps I had to unplug it. I don't remember. If you can find the manual online or have it, check and see if there's a procedure to degauss the thing.

Da Worfster :cool:

Kursun
10-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Can you degauss a tv tube? I have a 9 year old Sony 27" TV that has some discolration in the upper right corner of the screen. On a blue background it looks like a slightly yello/green smudge in the corner. I am assuming I must have had a magnetic source of some sort come near that corner. Or is this an indicator of somethng else?I degauss my TV tube using a cassette deck head degausser. It's nothing but a simple mains operated coil.