5.1 with lots of power that support newer sound formats? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 with lots of power that support newer sound formats?

Thomsoad
09-30-2004, 02:37 PM
First of all I want to thank everyone for their input regarding several of my posts. For the most part I have found them to be extremely beneficial. I have norrowed my field down to a 5.1 (I am not an audiophile so this will be plenty for me). My living room is fairly large (15' by 27') so I need something that will have a clear sound to fill the room at high volume and will be used almost entirely on movies.So I will also need something that can support the latest technology, but anything more than 5.1 for me WILL be wasted money. I am all ears for suggestions

alumpkin
10-01-2004, 05:54 AM
First of all I want to thank everyone for their input regarding several of my posts. For the most part I have found them to be extremely beneficial. I have norrowed my field down to a 5.1 (I am not an audiophile so this will be plenty for me). My living room is fairly large (15' by 27') so I need something that will have a clear sound to fill the room at high volume and will be used almost entirely on movies.So I will also need something that can support the latest technology, but anything more than 5.1 for me WILL be wasted money. I am all ears for suggestions

Thomsoad, I admit that I haven't read your earlier posts as you mentioned, but don't rule out getting a 7.1 receiver and bi-amping the front two speakers. That way you can always expand later if you wish. The 7.1 might cost you slightly more, but if you watch a lot of movies like I do... when 7.1 is fully supported by all or most DVDs, it will be really nice to have.

I also am somewhat confused by your post. Are you asking someone to recommend an entire 5.1 system or just speakers or just a receiver? And if you asking for recommendations, a budget would help.

Good luck with your upcoming new system.

Thomsoad
10-01-2004, 09:48 AM
My fault, I was referring to the receiver only. Right now from what I have read the Pioneer VSX 912K looks to be a really good deal for $350. It has the 7.1 which will allow me to expand if necessary my only concern is the power, but they say it handles loud volume very well. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

Eric Z
10-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Do a search on this site for a Yamaha HTR5760/V650. It supports 7.1 and is a great inexpensive receiver!! I've had it for 3 months and it powers my 5.1 extremely well. I got it as a floor model for $325, but generally you can get it new for around $400.

Good luck!
Eric

Lord_Magnepan
10-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Well i would give the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R a try. I traded my Onkyo 939 for it. I tested it against a Denon AVC 1SE- The little british kid has some real current. Its a 6.1 Receiver with the 6.1. You can add a processor for 7.1 later if you wish, and also add more powerfull mono amps later.

cheers