cables and length [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : cables and length

robinc
12-10-2003, 04:15 AM
received new hit 50v500 so moved all components to the back of the room- this requires extending many cables -Catv,2 component sets, 2 s video to approx 40feet- I purchased 3 50ft- sets (that was the size they came in!) -
is this too long for component or svhs?
it appears to be working but is the picture reduced in quality?
I Read somewhere that making your cables out of COAX RG 6 -and using F/Rca adapters at the ends will be as god as any very high priced pre made cable?
Can you really use this one cable type for component and audio cables?
appreciate any help you can provide
Robin C

FLZapped
12-10-2003, 09:01 AM
Can you really use this one cable type for component and audio cables?
appreciate any help you can provide
Robin C

The short answer is yes. Audio doesn't care and the rf and video expect to see 75 ohms.

The only problem you get into with audio is that with such long lengths the cable's capacitance could get high enough to start affecting the highest frequencies.

-Bruce

robinc
01-02-2004, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=FLZapped]The short answer is yes. Audio doesn't care and the rf and video expect to see 75 ohms.

The only problem you get into with audio is that with such long lengths the cable's capacitance could get high enough to start affecting the highest frequencies.

ok I have this nifty crimping tool to put crimp on RCA connectors "waterproof as well?" onto 75 ohm coax cable - Is it correct to assume I can buy say 500ft of this rg6 cable and make exact length audio and video cables -actual required length is approx 36foot- and that using this cable should be as good as anything available from Monster or others - but at huge cost saving by crimping my own plugs on?- has anyone done this at home?
I am planning to use to replace two runs of component cables, 6 audio
cables and one for the sub !
have not figured out how to make Svideo yet?
comments apprciated
Robin

mtrycraft
01-02-2004, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=FLZapped]The short answer is yes. Audio doesn't care and the rf and video expect to see 75 ohms.

ok I have this nifty crimping tool to put crimp on RCA connectors "waterproof as well?" onto 75 ohm coax cable - Is it correct to assume I can buy say 500ft of this rg6 cable and make exact length audio and video cables -actual required length is approx 36foot- and that using this cable should be as good as anything available from Monster or others - but at huge cost saving by crimping my own plugs on?- has anyone done this at home?
I am planning to use to replace two runs of component cables, 6 audio
cables and one for the sub !
have not figured out how to make Svideo yet?
comments apprciated
Robin

As Bruce indicated, you will be fine. As to buying 500ft, you have to be the judge as how cost effective that is as you will have lots left over. Crimping RCA connectors are fine too.
If you are using component video, why have S Video?
Waterproof? Are you expecting floods or rain in there ? :)

robinc
01-02-2004, 05:15 PM
waterproof-was the one this store had in stock -although it appears to work with other connectors

still using s video for the jvc vcr, and the Laser player- (still have it !-but I am turning into an old fart and want to keep some of my old toys)both through the Sony Receiver strdb930
thanks I will let you know how I progress
Robin

skeptic
01-03-2004, 05:15 AM
I have a very large house with many of my TV sets 50 feet or more from the distribution rf amplifier. That amplifier is well over 100 feet from the cable company's distribution amplifier at the curb (I live in a rural area.) You can be sure that the electrical contractor who wired my house for cable used the cheapest wire he could get his hands on (RG6.) The picture quality I get since the cable company upgraded THEIR equipment is outstanding. I have 12 Sony tv sets including 4 KV36XBR250 so I would see any shortcomings easily. I made many of my own cable jumpers from Belden RG59 with crimp on connectors and RCA RG6 from Home Depot with Radio Shack twist on connectors. A good crimper and stripping tool are nice things to have. Compared to the many hundreds of megahertz for a composite cable rf signal, a single channel of NTSC tv which is only 6 megaherts is a much easier signal to transmit and an audio signal of 20 khz hardly even counts.