T4F: A Happy Ending [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : T4F: A Happy Ending

BarryL
09-30-2004, 06:56 AM
Is this the final Tears For Fears CD? Could it be a happy ending? I doubt it's the last.

As for Everybody Loves A Happy Ending, it should be a very successful CD for them. This is a CD built for radioplay, and should be a huge success. Almost every song has a happy hook, but my favorite so far is Closest Thing To Heaven.

The problem with this CD is that it is too sweet. Orzabel and Smith crafted nice Beatlesque pop songs that are perfect for radio play, but they didn't take any chances. It's an album that lacks power and edge, and IMO, will lack staying power. You can put it on and have a nice listen, and enjoy it from start to finish, but there's nothing to keep you coming back over and over. None of the songs have the power of some of the older stuff, like Shout, Women In Chains, Elemental and Power, or the George Martinish production creativity of Sewing The Seeds of Love.

As a T4F fan who was looking forward to this CD, I'm not disappointed. I'm glad they didn't create something trashy. It's a good start for the reformed pair. Hopefully they'll have a hit and then take some bigger chances on their next effor.

Troy
09-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the review. Lots of people on other boards are calling this the second coming, so it's nice to see a more level headed review.

As a fan of the tougher sounding stuff (well, it's all relative), I think I'll look for this onthe used market.

BarryL
09-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the review. Lots of people on other boards are calling this the second coming, so it's nice to see a more level headed review.

As a fan of the tougher sounding stuff (well, it's all relative), I think I'll look for this onthe used market.

Hope you enjoyed the lava lamp vacation. I'm assuming you cycled to the top and back down again!. Take pictures? I had a great day north of SF in the highlands.

This T4F should be easy to find used. I'm not sure you'll like it enough to keep around for long, though. It's missing the Orzabel magic. I suppose the record label wanted the perfect T4F hit album, which is what they delivered. Very little risk, very little personality. Is it the second coming? Yeah, I suppose the last two Orazabel albums were sort of hit and miss. Some good stuff on Raul, but not enough good stuff. Same for the last solo, whatever it was called. This one sets the foundation for the next one.

Troy
09-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Hawaii is excellent this time of year, yes. No crowds, lower prices (again, all relative) and primo weather.

We were at the Mauna Kea hotel on the Kona coast of the big island.

It surely is miserable coming back to the fog.

http://www.lostamerica.com/samplestuff/panorama.small.jpg

BarryL
09-30-2004, 01:02 PM
Hawaii is excellent this time of year, yes. No crowds, lower prices (again, all relative) and primo weather.

We were at the Mauna Kea hotel on the Kona coast of the big island.

It surely is miserable coming back to the fog.

http://www.lostamerica.com/samplestuff/panorama.small.jpg

..to see the sun rise. I have one CD by a traditional Hawiian guiter player. I'll have to dig it up to give you his name. I think it was something like Cyril Pahanu although I know this is wrong.

Troy
09-30-2004, 01:13 PM
That was a sunset, Barry. I did wake up for dawn a couple of times though. It really is a daylight sorta place, but we did do a few midnight full moon ocean swims. Total bliss.

3-LockBox
09-30-2004, 06:03 PM
So I'm glad to read that this may mirror that one...Songs From The Big Chair was great, but I think I liked Seeds more. Haven't heard anyhting off the new album but come to think of it, I don't listen to radio anymore.

If it does become super popular, I'll wait for it on the used bin. That's the nice thing about fickle music fans, always plenty of used 'pop' albums.

DPM
09-30-2004, 08:50 PM
When I was in LA a couple of weeks back Tears For Fears was on one of the morning news programs promoting their new disk. They played two tunes from it. Both were pretty good. The surprise was the drummer was none other than Nick D. from Spock's Beard. He looked like he was enjoying himself.

Dave M

BarryL
10-01-2004, 06:18 AM
When I was in LA a couple of weeks back Tears For Fears was on one of the morning news programs promoting their new disk. They played two tunes from it. Both were pretty good. The surprise was the drummer was none other than Nick D. from Spock's Beard. He looked like he was enjoying himself.

Dave M

I saw Orzabel without Smith about ten years ago, and it was a great concert. I'm hoping that their tour brings them back to Toronto, part of the American suburbs.