B&W vs. Wharfedale? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W vs. Wharfedale?

lbhkilla
09-29-2004, 07:34 PM
I just got back from a dealer that carried B&W and Paradigm stuff and found my new favorite speaker. I had really like Monitor 3's but now hearing it next to a DM601 I really want one. I have heard a lot of good stuff from Wharfedales, but have never gotten a chance to hear them since I have none near me. How do the Diamonds and Pacific EVOs sound compared to B&W, I really liked the sound of the highs in the B&Ws and was wondering if any other brand has a similar sound.

RGA
09-29-2004, 09:17 PM
The Wharfedale Diamonds don;t have the treble sparkle of the B&W's. The Diamon 8.2 is a bit sloppier but it does sound very nice and I would recommend them. I ahve not heard the 601S3 for a long while. But if you can pony up for the B&W 602S3 you will get a fuller sound.

I would also Highly recommend yuo try and find the Dynaudio Audience 42 and the Audio Note AX-Two. The latter does have the high frequency extension and openness - has better bass depth and midrange presnece - $550.00US list - but I bet you could get em for $450. Do not get bother with the Audio Note AX-one.

I posted some thoughts on Wharfedale B&W and Audio Note among others. I am biased to Audio Note since i own them. I also owned B&W and still own Wharfedale speakers. I don't think you'll go too wrong with what you're considering - but having other options to try is always nice.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6696

topspeed
09-30-2004, 09:44 AM
I grew up with Wharfedales and can attest to their quality. I have heard people compare Tannoy to B&W, although my last experience with Tannoy was so long ago, I can't say for certain. Mission has the typical somewhat polite Brit sound, as well. Personally, I don't think Dyne's sound similar to B&W's at all, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It all depends on what you like.

B&W's are rightfully famous for their tweeters, especially the Nautilus tweeter. Some people like 'em, some don't. Neither are right or wrong, it's all a matter of taste. You seem to like them so why not buy 'em?

Lensman
09-30-2004, 04:10 PM
I just got back from a dealer that carried B&W and Paradigm stuff and found my new favorite speaker. I had really like Monitor 3's but now hearing it next to a DM601 I really want one. I have heard a lot of good stuff from Wharfedales, but have never gotten a chance to hear them since I have none near me. How do the Diamonds and Pacific EVOs sound compared to B&W, I really liked the sound of the highs in the B&Ws and was wondering if any other brand has a similar sound.

I heard a pair of Monitor Audio Silver S1s ($549 pair) a couple of weeks ago and you might like their sound since you mention highs. This is an all metal speaker with a 6" aluminum magnesium woofer and a 1" gold dome tweeter. They also make an S2 with a 7" woofer that adds about half an octave of bass.

I was in the market for a pair of bookshelves in the $500-$1,000 range and of all the speakers I listened to, these were easily the most articulate and detailed. I heard things on the recordings I took around I simply didn't hear or notice on other speakers. On one Enya CD I could actually tell Enya's mouth was somewhat dry as she sang because I could hear the faint pop of her lips parting when she opened them. It was almost as if the microphone had moved 6 inches closer to her. The highs were airy and extended, and though the S1s didn't throw the widest sound field, they did throw the deepest one. Imaging was on par with the better speakers I heard. Bass was very clean and tight, though not particularly deep.

The shop owner mentioned to me this sound was somewhat typical of British speaker manufacturers who prefer more forward, detailed highs and underdamped cabinets that resulted in tighter, punchier bass at the loss of extension. He recommended if I liked the sound I should also hear some B&Ws. I wish I could say I did, but with three authorized dealers in comfortable driving distance, not one keeps a SINGLE speaker in stock. They're all "custom install" shops and only special order stuff. This seems to be the way a lot of audio shops are going. :(