Infinity? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Infinity?

Thomsoad
09-29-2004, 06:49 PM
Whats the general consensus on Infinity speakers?
Good bang for the buck or significantly outclassed by others?

eisforelectronic
09-30-2004, 12:53 AM
Always comes down to personnal taste, but I would say pretty equal to Polk or JBL. I personnally always liked the older Infinity Kappa series and really liked the IL40's from the Interlude series. Their CMMD drivers are relatively clean sounding. Polk has always sounded a little boomier to me. I've really only enjoyed the RT55's before the I series. I actually haven't heard too many JBL's lately, but I did really like their SVA's for affordable speakers.

Did you know that Bose outsells the next top three speaker manufacturers combined every year?

piece-it pete
09-30-2004, 11:07 AM
Did you know that Bose outsells the next top three speaker manufacturers combined every year?

Heck, that did it. I'm selling my crappy gear and buying Bose!!

Pete

eisforelectronic
10-01-2004, 01:18 AM
I hope that wasn't taken as a plug for Bose.

piece-it pete
10-01-2004, 10:02 AM
I hope that wasn't taken as a plug for Bose.

Nope e, just my lame attempt at sarcastic humor!

Pete

Lord_Magnepan
10-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Hey it worked for me :p

J*E*Cole
10-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Well I just picked up some Infinity Alpha 50's for $179 each and couldn't be more happy. They sound absolutely awesome, and as they continue to break in, they just get better. This is my first set of Infinitys though. They replaced some Paradigm Monitor bookshelfs, and I think the Infinitys sound much better. I would certainly recommend them.

musicfan
10-25-2004, 04:54 AM
sounds like a good price, could you share with us where you bought it from?

Well I just picked up some Infinity Alpha 50's for $179 each and couldn't be more happy. They sound absolutely awesome, and as they continue to break in, they just get better. This is my first set of Infinitys though. They replaced some Paradigm Monitor bookshelfs, and I think the Infinitys sound much better. I would certainly recommend them.

vr6ofpain
10-25-2004, 11:18 AM
I have a set of Infinity Reference Series 2000.1's in my TV system. I got them back in high school, which was about 8 years ago. They took the abuse of 4 years of high school and 4 years of college.

Sound wise they are pretty plain, but they were $200 at Circuit City ~8 years ago so what can you ask for. A simple rear ported bookshelf with 5.25" poly woofers and a cheesy 0.5" polycarbonate tweeter. Definately ok, but not high fi.

My parents old surround system sounds alright. It is composed of the same Reference series line, but with the 2000.3's(6.5" poly woofer, looks similar to the ones used in the Paradigm monitor series, i.e. somewhat transparent white, and a better 1" silk dome tweeter) for mains, a matching center(same tweeter, with 5.25" versions of the transparent/white woofers), and the 2000.1's as surrounds.

Infinity = budget sound. Not bad, but not great.

eqm
10-25-2004, 12:55 PM
I have a set of Infinity Reference Series 2000.1's in my TV system. I got them back in high school, which was about 8 years ago. They took the abuse of 4 years of high school and 4 years of college.

Sound wise they are pretty plain, but they were $200 at Circuit City ~8 years ago so what can you ask for. A simple rear ported bookshelf with 5.25" poly woofers and a cheesy 0.5" polycarbonate tweeter. Definately ok, but not high fi.

My parents old surround system sounds alright. It is composed of the same Reference series line, but with the 2000.3's(6.5" poly woofer, looks similar to the ones used in the Paradigm monitor series, i.e. somewhat transparent white, and a better 1" silk dome tweeter) for mains, a matching center(same tweeter, with 5.25" versions of the transparent/white woofers), and the 2000.1's as surrounds.

Infinity = budget sound. Not bad, but not great.

the infinitys that you have have nothing to do with the infinitys available today. they shut down production for a while because of exactly what you were referring to. I also had some circuit city infinitys from the reference line back in my post-school days, and yes, they were very much on the unremarkable side. The new CMMD woofers are a drastic improvement over their older cones and I have a full 7.1 kappa system that replaced a boston acoustics VRM60 7.1 system. make sure you listen to many different types of speakers before you make a decision, because even in the infinity lineup, there are HUGE differences among the series.

goatspeed
10-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Infinity has great price and product range, and the tweeters in even their most base products are very good. I'm a fan of the new Kappa series. They are great sounding all the way around IMO, and you can get them for very cheap right now at places like www.onecall.com. The are fairly common as a brand, so it wouldn't be hard, I think, to get a pair to audition.

vr6ofpain
10-25-2004, 01:35 PM
the infinitys that you have have nothing to do with the infinitys available today. they shut down production for a while because of exactly what you were referring to.

I did not know that, though their newer stuff does look better.

I also had some circuit city infinitys from the reference line back in my post-school days, and yes, they were very much on the unremarkable side. The new CMMD woofers are a drastic improvement over their older cones and I have a full 7.1 kappa system that replaced a boston acoustics VRM60 7.1 system. make sure you listen to many different types of speakers before you make a decision, because even in the infinity lineup, there are HUGE differences among the series.
Listen to this guy, he has experience their bad, and now their good.

Hey did you ever listen to the old Kappa stuff? I remember listening to some very large floorstanding kappa's that had this ~3" dome tweeter(semi-transparent material), their Emit-R tweeter, and more typical Kappa woofers. I remember being quite impressed by those at the time. They were probably one of the most expensive speakers at that particular Circuit City at the time. I actually remember listening to those along with some huge Carver's that were some type of planar or electrostatic speaker, with a 10" woofer in the bass to fill out the lower octaves.

....this was all circa ~1994

vr6ofpain
10-25-2004, 08:26 PM
I did n
Hey did you ever listen to the old Kappa stuff? I remember listening to some very large floorstanding kappa's that had this ~3" dome tweeter(semi-transparent material), their Emit-R tweeter, and more typical Kappa woofers.

saw this on ebay tonight. this was the generation I was speaking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61376&item=5726714349&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

here is that hardcore dome midrange:

http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/aa/8c/ce_1.JPG

the "polydome" ??!?

eisforelectronic
10-26-2004, 12:38 AM
I really wish I had gotten a pair of the old Kappa 5's. I never really liked those big Carvers even though I was always told they just weren't getting enough power.

J*E*Cole
10-26-2004, 03:24 PM
sounds like a good price, could you share with us where you bought it from?
Got them at Circuit City on closeout. I actually went in to buy those new Sony ssk90's, but found these by chance, and am very happy I did. I see that Sony just aren't known for speakers, even though the ones in question have gotten great reviews, ultimately I am glad I went with a more respected speaker mfg.