Yamaha RXV595 vs New Denon AVR 1705 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RXV595 vs New Denon AVR 1705

dmz19
09-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Somethings missing! I've noticed an incredible difference in DVD audio but overall - something is not quite there! Missing some of the lower and upper end and feels a bit empty? Something I can get used to? Not sure - dropped the crossover to 60 which helped somewhat and put the tone control off for music which fills things up. Not sure if I will keep this or get the new Yamaha RXV550 Any comments????

Woochifer
09-29-2004, 03:59 PM
With DVD-A, the bass management depends ENTIRELY on what's incorporated into the player itself. If you're using a lower end DVD-A player, a lot of them send the full range signal into all five main channels, plus the subwoofer track with no crossover activity. Most receivers, including the RX-V595, simply pass the six-channel analog input signal onto the amplifier and bypass all the DSP and bass management circuits. If you're using a sub/sat system with satellite units that cutoff well before about 80 Hz, you'll wind up with a major gap in the midbass. If your DVD-A player has no bass management that redirects the lower frequencies into the subwoofer, then the only sounds going through the subwoofer will come from the LFE track (the .1 in 5.1), and most DVD-A discs that I've heard do not have a lot of activity in the LFE track.

When you mention that you adjusted the crossover to 60 Hz, was that on the subwoofer? I'm not sure where you're going with this, since you're citing issues with both the lows and the highs. Keep in mind that DVD-A is total repurposing of the original recording, and the quality of the playback will vary from disc to disc.

dmz19
09-29-2004, 04:20 PM
With DVD-A, the bass management depends ENTIRELY on what's incorporated into the player itself. If you're using a lower end DVD-A player, a lot of them send the full range signal into all five main channels, plus the subwoofer track with no crossover activity. Most receivers, including the RX-V595, simply pass the six-channel analog input signal onto the amplifier and bypass all the DSP and bass management circuits. If you're using a sub/sat system with satellite units that cutoff well before about 80 Hz, you'll wind up with a major gap in the midbass. If your DVD-A player has no bass management that redirects the lower frequencies into the subwoofer, then the only sounds going through the subwoofer will come from the LFE track (the .1 in 5.1), and most DVD-A discs that I've heard do not have a lot of activity in the LFE track.

When you mention that you adjusted the crossover to 60 Hz, was that on the subwoofer? I'm not sure where you're going with this, since you're citing issues with both the lows and the highs. Keep in mind that DVD-A is total repurposing of the original recording, and the quality of the playback will vary from disc to disc.

When I mentioned the crossover, I meant the sub woofer - I changed from preset of 80 to 60 and sounded better - this is using the Denon AVR-1705 and the Denon DVD1910. I noticed a significant change in DVD movies - the audio portion was crisp, precise and heard things I had missed when I was using the Yamaha. The Denon DVD1910 has a DVI connection though I have it connected with component - also has Faroudja dcdi....
Thanks,
Don