Receiver as clock radio? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver as clock radio?

marco
12-09-2003, 07:56 PM
Our bedroom has a TV with bad speakers, and the world's oldest clock radio. Additionally, there's a radio station that we can only receive by hooking (TV) cable to a receiver's tuner.

I'd like to replace the whole mess with a receiver and a pair of speakers. Does anyone have a suggestion of a receiver that acts like an alarm clock? Ideally, I need a wake-up alarm and a sleep-timer.

joel2762
12-10-2003, 04:38 PM
You want a Micro System. Nice ones from Panasonic and Sony. Have all the features you need i'd say. On timer, sleep timer, etc. Aux inputs, cd player, tape. Depends on what model. Check www.sony.com or the panasonic site. should be something good for you there.

trollgirl
12-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Years ago, way before micro systems, I used a full-bore stereo system as a "clock radio". Everything was left with the power switches on, and the gear plugged into a digital timer. When the clock struck, say, 6 AM, everything powered up, and played at whatever gain setting I had selected the night before. There was too much gear plugged into the timer, however, and it burned out. A second unit was protected by my using a relay which handled most of the juice, the digital timer only having to throw the relay's contacts. Does that make sense? I dunno, I don't do it that way anymore.

Laz

piece-it pete
12-11-2003, 09:35 AM
I owned one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3060731553&category=50592

It had a clock/timer that could have been used for a clock radio, and though not "audiophile" quality :) had a nice sound and plenty of power for a bedroom (I think 70 WPC). It was also IMO attractive. Mine sold for $75 + frt.

Good luck!

Pete

woodman
12-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Our bedroom has a TV with bad speakers, and the world's oldest clock radio. Additionally, there's a radio station that we can only receive by hooking (TV) cable to a receiver's tuner.

I'd like to replace the whole mess with a receiver and a pair of speakers. Does anyone have a suggestion of a receiver that acts like an alarm clock? Ideally, I need a wake-up alarm and a sleep-timer.

For this scheme to work for you, you must be certain that the receiver you pick has a power switch that "latches" in the "on" mode. Most, if not all of today's receivers revert to a "standby" mode when power is removed, such as would be the case if it was plugged into a "clock timer".

Hope this helps you

woodman
I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
Steven Wright