Onkyo TX-SR501 + Cambridge SoundWorks M80 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo TX-SR501 + Cambridge SoundWorks M80

cradek
12-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Hi everyone !

I’m looking for a pair of speakers and HT receiver. I would use it to listen music and watch movies. Also in the future I would upgrade it to 5.1 or 6.1 system.

My budget is about $400-$500.

I found Onkyo TX-SR501 for $184 and
Cambridge SoundWorks M80 for $240 (pair).

My questions:
1) Is this a good match? Will this two pieces work well together?
2) Can I do Bi-Wiring using this receiver?

Do you have any other suggestions for a speakers and receiver in the $500 range?

Thank you

psonic
12-09-2003, 08:53 PM
i have not heard much on cambridge speakers
you could also look at $329 refurbished w/ shipping - onkyo HT-S650
http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog.cfm?id=3
click club onkyo price, click register, click join now then you will see the special club price or the $449 HT-S760 6.1 system with free dvd player (club onkyo)

i have listened to these systems and they sound surprisingly good, in fact they ranked them really high over at CNET equipment reviews, the best part is they are complete with a 150w powered sub, so you got a nice platform to grow from...

cradek
12-10-2003, 01:54 PM
$449 HT-S760 6.1 system with free dvd player (club onkyo)
the best part is they are complete with a 150w powered sub, so you got a nice platform to grow from...

Thanks for the response,

It looks like a big system, currently i'm staying in the dorm room but after spring semester i'm going to graduate and i'll move to the apartment or a house.

Am I going to be able to set up the system in a small dorm room? Isn't the room too small?

Also I want to listen music (alternative rock, pop, rave) is this system good for it?

Thanks

psonic
12-10-2003, 06:06 PM
here is a review of it..

you could just hook up the sub and fronts and save the rears for later...i personally would get a small integrated amplifier and a pair of good ~ $300 speakers like B&W DM-303. That is similar to what I am running now at home, very space effective and sounds far better than my H/K receiver, even without the rear and center speakers, the sound is so clear and real that they are not missed. For a small amp you could go with a new Cambridge for $199, they also have a A500 Integrated Amp with remote, a demo unit, for $225 at http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/clearance.asp you could also look at used NAD, Creek or Rotel gear at ebay or audiogon..... this will give you the best possible music sound for the dollar

keep us posted

psonic
12-10-2003, 06:13 PM
(sorry could not locate the review, on cnet somewhere in hometheater)