HT Hookup Challenged [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT Hookup Challenged

metcalfmk
09-28-2004, 05:37 AM
Hi
I am new to the forum.
My DH bought an HT system yesterday. It's an RCA RTDVD1. Here's the deal. I know squat about hooking this stuff up. I did manage to get it hooked up to the dish network box, and it sounds really great. My prob is, when we put a dvd in, there is no pic on the tv. I know someone out there is laughing, because this is probably something so simple to solve, but unfortunately, I don't know how! :confused: I followed the instructions in the quick connect guide which was pretty easy, you know, yellow cable, red cable, white cable, etc. How can I get the dvd to show on the tv? The command screen doesn't come up for the dvd either.

Thanks for any help I can get!
Katie :)

Max Power
09-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Hi
I am new to the forum.
My DH bought an HT system yesterday. It's an RCA RTDVD1. Here's the deal. I know squat about hooking this stuff up. I did manage to get it hooked up to the dish network box, and it sounds really great. My prob is, when we put a dvd in, there is no pic on the tv. I know someone out there is laughing, because this is probably something so simple to solve, but unfortunately, I don't know how! :confused: I followed the instructions in the quick connect guide which was pretty easy, you know, yellow cable, red cable, white cable, etc. How can I get the dvd to show on the tv? The command screen doesn't come up for the dvd either.

Thanks for any help I can get!
Katie :)

Sounds like it's hooked up correctly unless I'm reading this wrong. You have to note which Video section it is hooked up to on the TV itself. If you don't know, just hit the TV/Video button on you TV's remote while the DVD player is on. You may have several connections available on the back of the TV so keep hitting the TV/Video button (maybe its called Input button, depends on TV manufacturer) until you see a picture.
It's also possible that you hooked it up to the Dish Network box itself. This would mean that you could only watch the DVD through the box. If this is the case I would suggest unhooking it from the box and hooking up the composite (yellow, red, white) cables to the TV itself and then follow above technique. Hope this helps.

Quagmire
09-28-2004, 08:22 AM
Some inputs on televisions share a common video feed, like "Video 1" may allow you to use either a composite (yellow) cable or an S-Video connection but you can't use both at the same time, and you may have to go into your tv's menu to select which video input will work. You don't have any video connections to the receiver do you? If so, you may have to run a "monitor out" video cable from the receiver to an input on the tv, otherwise the signal never gets past the receiver.

Q