Help with system for large parties [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with system for large parties

sternie57
09-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a budget of $1500-$1700 to buy equipment for parties and playing music outside. With that money, I have to get speakers, a mixer, cd player, and amp. They have to be very durable. One of my friends suggested an acive Mackie setup. Some other guys went to Guitar Center and had one of their salesmen "hook them up" with a sweet deal. However, I thought you guys would give some unbiased and better advice or at least send me in a direction of where I could find what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help,

Bobby

Woochifer
09-27-2004, 03:13 PM
The Mackie near field monitors are now the most commonly used models for studio mixing work, but that does not say anything about their live audio monitors. Very different design for a different purpose. Might want to give them a listen for yourself and see which one works best for the type of sound you're trying to get. The thing about going with pro audio equipment for live sound applications is that they are more durable and will typically play louder for less power.

Geoffcin
09-27-2004, 03:31 PM
I thought you guys would give some unbiased and better advice or at least send me in a direction of where I could find what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help,

Bobby

Most of the people who post in this forum are going to be into Home Audio, and Home Theater. None of which is going to be good for your application.

What you looking for is professional DJ equipment. The advice you got about going to a Guitar store is pretty good. Usually you'll be able to check out several brands of DJ equipment there. Then you'll have some idea of what you want, and can also make an informed decision if you want to purchase something from an online dealer. Even before you go to the Guitar store you can do a search on Ebay for pro gear. Here's a link to a listing for a JBL speaker setup that is sure to rock the neighbors outta bed!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38091&item=3750239060&rd=1

Geoffcin
09-27-2004, 03:43 PM
But it's a complete turnkey system with a trailer to boot!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4785&item=3750166378&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

poneal
09-27-2004, 07:42 PM
I think that Hafler puts out better products but may be a little more expensive. If you get active monitors you shouldnt need an amp. Just run the CD player into the mixer and the mixer out to the active speakers. Parts Express sells an assortment of mixers and pro dj gear. You may want to check them out. http://www.partsexpress.com

eisforelectronic
09-28-2004, 01:47 AM
How about some JBL Eon's with convenient carrying handles

Worf101
09-28-2004, 07:16 AM
The Mackie near field monitors are now the most commonly used models for studio mixing work, but that does not say anything about their live audio monitors. Very different design for a different purpose. Might want to give them a listen for yourself and see which one works best for the type of sound you're trying to get. The thing about going with pro audio equipment for live sound applications is that they are more durable and will typically play louder for less power.

Mackie makes a whole line of active and passive PA gear. We run a Mackie powered stereo mixing head with our small club rig. Very versatile and quite reliable. Still working after 5 years of almost constant giggin. He's on the the right track with that brand. Pricey though.

Da Worfster

Monstrous Mike
09-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a budget of $1500-$1700 to buy equipment for parties and playing music outside. With that money, I have to get speakers, a mixer, cd player, and amp. They have to be very durable. One of my friends suggested an acive Mackie setup. Some other guys went to Guitar Center and had one of their salesmen "hook them up" with a sweet deal. However, I thought you guys would give some unbiased and better advice or at least send me in a direction of where I could find what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help,

Bobby
I play in a band and we have Kustom speakers that are economical and really quite good. Here is an example of a Kustom package that has an amp (plenty of power), mixer, graphic equalizer and two large speakers: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/630542/

You can hook up a CD player or two into the amp plus microphones and anything else you need.

This Guy
09-29-2004, 04:20 PM
go to audioasylum.com and ask in the "pro audio" or "high efficiency" forums. They know what they're talking about with this stuff.