help -turntable etc [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : help -turntable etc

vinylfan
09-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Hi:

I have a Rega turntable, being the only piece of expensive audio equipment the drug consuming scum who have broken into our house twice have left..I recently bought a Denon Cd/Receiver which is easier to hide away when we're out. I connected up the turntable to the aux input, but have to turn the volume up to 25 to hear anything..sound very tinny/trebly. Do I need to buy a preamp or am I doing something wrong??

Thanks for any help...

N. Abstentia
09-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Yeah you need to buy a preamp if the receiver has no phono input.

thepogue
09-27-2004, 12:06 PM
a receiver with TT output ...most newer models dont have one (such as yours sorry to say)

sorry to hear ya got hit...at leat ya got your TT left!!

Peace, Pogue

Geoffcin
09-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Hi:

I have a Rega turntable, being the only piece of expensive audio equipment the drug consuming scum who have broken into our house twice have left..I recently bought a Denon Cd/Receiver which is easier to hide away when we're out. I connected up the turntable to the aux input, but have to turn the volume up to 25 to hear anything..sound very tinny/trebly. Do I need to buy a preamp or am I doing something wrong??

Thanks for any help...

Phono preamp on Ebay, or Audiogon.com

RGA
09-28-2004, 08:49 AM
A very good cheap solution is to go and buy the Little Rat for about $25.00. It is a small phono box that needs a 9 volt battery. You connect your turntable to this and out the other end an RCA cable to you AUX jack on the receiver.

The Little Rat is actually just the phono box they sell at Radio Shack. It's surprissingly very good - I have one as a back-up. If you do a search at Audio Asylum you'll see it compares very well with several hundred dollar NAD and Grados. The latter here is nearly 10X the money and uses just as cheap parts - but they put it in a nicer wood box.

Don't forget to turn it off when not in use or the battery might run down.

piece-it pete
09-30-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks RGA for the tip!

Sorry for your luck, Vinylfan. I would suggest a a female Rottweiler.

To expand on the Pogues' comment, if you have an old receiver lieing around, you can run your phono outs to the rec'rs phono in, then run the rec'rs "tape monitor out" to your main units' aux in.

But heck for $25 I'd go with RGA.

Pete

donald1959
10-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Hi:

Thanks for any help...

Try the $200 Creek stand alone phono preamp, it's an awesome piece for the money and it will raise your gain up where it needs to be.

donald1959
10-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Hi:

Thanks for any help...

Try the $200 Creek stand alone phono preamp, you don't have enough gain. Your equipment is too good for a $35 dollar cheapy and not sophisticated enough to benefit from anything higher-end. Creek is a good product with good build quality. Be sure to get the model designed for Moving coils if you have one. If you don't, consider a Sumiko Blue Point, you won't believe the detail and musicality