Nektar - Evolution [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nektar - Evolution

BarryL
09-27-2004, 11:34 AM
The new Nektar arrived in the mail last week, and it sounds GREAT.

If you like Nektar of old, then you'll eat this one up. Roye Albrighton sounds great, as does the rest of the band. This doesn't sound like a new album for the new milleneum as much as it does a long lost tape from the vaults circa 1973 or 1980.

These old guys are just your basic melodic prog rockers, driven by the writing and guitar riffs of Albrighton. There's no Larry Fast here to add Recycled synthesizer effects, but the underlying organ and keys of Taff Freeman are outstanding.

The band starts out rocking with Camourflage to White, and then then finds room to mellow out through the middle movement of the next toon, Old Mother Earth, and Child of Mine, easily Nektar's best and most beautiful ballad.

Lyrically, the album covers the usual Nektar themes about humankind's ability to destroy nature, particularly on Danin' Into the Void. Other themes include birth (Child of Mine) and death (Phazed by the Storm), and religion (Always).

The band doesn't break too much new ground here, but that's okay. They do a great job creating new tunes on a proven foundation. This album is like finding a old lost friend. It carries on the 1970's prog tradition without the flash and flourish that so many technically proficient bands think is required to succeed.

The good news is that it's brand new, and hopefully they'll be able to put out a few more before their time is up.

unleasHell
09-28-2004, 03:29 PM
I'd really like to hear that Barry...

It sounds pretty cool

MasterCylinder
09-29-2004, 08:14 AM
Barry...........thank you for this review.

On my next mail order, I'll be sure this one is included.

BarryL
09-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Barry...........thank you for this review.

On my next mail order, I'll be sure this one is included.
Prodigal Son was thier release from last year (or the year before). It was also pretty good, but perhaps a bit less self-assured given it was their first new album in about 15 or 20 years. If money's not an object and you, like me, love the Nektar sound, then go for both.

They were in town playing with Caravan about a week ago, but I was out of town on business, so I didn't get to see them. Hopefully they'll be back.

3-LockBox
09-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Sounds like I need to check it out...since Pallas and IQ are still in heavy rotation. What other albums would you suggest from this group?

BarryL
10-01-2004, 06:24 AM
Sounds like I need to check it out...since Pallas and IQ are still in heavy rotation. What other albums would you suggest from this group?

But I'm a big fan, so I'm overly biased.

Their three masterpieces, IMO, are:

A Tab In The Ocean
Remember the Future
Recylced

All have been recently remastered, so don't buy the old one's for the same price as the remasters. The remasters all have bonus tracks. These three span from 1972 to 1974 or 1975.

Don't go for the live albums as a substitute. The sound is inferior.