Monkey Gone to Heaven [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Gone to Heaven

Davey
09-27-2004, 11:24 AM
Driving around a little yesterday and it was almost like a time warp because they were playing the Pixies! Can't remember what came before or what followed, but I remember that I had a big smile during the Monkey :)

Kind of fun that the Pixies are enjoying such a huge popularity for their reunion. I honestly didn't really expect the success they are having, selling out multiple nights all over the world.

Finch Platte
09-27-2004, 07:31 PM
I've read an article w/ Frank Blacksis ridiculing the songs he has to sing. He's only in it for the $$.

I wouldn't see them if you focking paid me, especially after hearing that. A quote from the SF Chron article: Thompson says the reunion hasn't particularly opened the emotional floodgates: "Do I get choked up and cry? No. It's like, 'Yep, the song goes like this.' It's not like I get whisked away in my mind to some other time and place. I'm in the here and now. Here we go, let us sing the mantra again, 'This monkey's gone to heaven/ This monkey's gone to heaven.' " He does this in the most boring way possible.

fp

Davey
09-27-2004, 09:20 PM
I've read an article w/ Frank Blacksis ridiculing the songs he has to sing. He's only in it for the $$.
Well, there probably aren't many bands that get back together for a reunion tour just for the fun of it :)

All I know is that they are sure getting some raves from people that have seen them play together again. Check out the review below that I scanned from the last Uncut for the Brixton Academy concert....

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/pixies.jpg

ForeverAutumn
09-28-2004, 04:40 AM
Driving around a little yesterday and it was almost like a time warp because they were playing the Pixies! Can't remember what came before or what followed, but I remember that I had a big smile during the Monkey :)

Kind of fun that the Pixies are enjoying such a huge popularity for their reunion. I honestly didn't really expect the success they are having, selling out multiple nights all over the world.

I wasn't familiar with The Pixies but this reunion tour has been making headlines and sold out two shows here. So, I had a friend, who's a big fan, put together his version of a "best of the Pixies" comp for me. I had to sit on my hands to keep myself from pulling the disk out of the player before I had heard the whole thing (which wasn't an easy task since I was driving! :eek: ).

I'm sorry, but I just don't get the attraction to them.

-Jar-
09-28-2004, 05:33 AM
I wasn't familiar with The Pixies but this reunion tour has been making headlines and sold out two shows here. So, I had a friend, who's a big fan, put together his version of a "best of the Pixies" comp for me. I had to sit on my hands to keep myself from pulling the disk out of the player before I had heard the whole thing (which wasn't an easy task since I was driving! :eek: ).

I remember when I first listened to their album SURFER ROSA I thought it was a big screaming honking jagged mess. I've grown to enjoy their music over the years. Not a huge fan mind you, I think they have a lot of great individual songs, their albums, except for maybe DOOLITTLE are uneven in my opinion. Most people have certain kinds of music they are comfortable with. Enjoying the Pixies is like cramming a square peg into a round hole. I hope your friend put "Where is My Mind?" on there because I think that's their best song. Again, for me with the Pixies, there's some amazing, awesome songs. Hope you grow to like them a little more.. but I know it's hard to force something that you have a negative reaction to the first time.

-jar

mad rhetorik
09-28-2004, 07:36 AM

That's too bad...The Pixies are my favorite alternative band of all time. Hugely influential, and in their prime they couldn't write a bad song if they tried, IMO. Try listening to them a few more times. Like Jar said they sound rather jagged and messy at first, but once the hook catches you will NOT be able to stop singing/feet tapping/head bobbing.

Black Francis (or Frank Black, if you prefer) is one of my favorite vocalists. Very distinctive, and I love it when he screams. "Rock Music" whips me into a fury every time. Kim Deal's a good vocalist too, though she shined more prominently with The Breeders. And Joey Santiago's a cool guitarist, very unique...just a big heap of talent in that band.

I've seriously considered selling blood/one of my kidneys to see their reunion tour. Even if the band is just going through the motions I still want to check it out. It's about f<a>ucking time they started getting attention from the mainstream!