Who's gonna Smile on Tuesday? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who's gonna Smile on Tuesday?

Davey
09-27-2004, 09:14 AM
Saw in the Sunday paper that Brian Wilson's <i>Smile</i> is getting a pretty big push for its Tuesday release. Saw it under $10 at one local store so might have to grab a copy myself. I know that Jay has already talked some about it and expressed some mild disapointment (and we do have a virtual beer bet riding on its sales since he said it won't even sell 1/3 of what Bjork's <i>Medulla</i> sells and I said he's a madman because I predict it'll sell pretty good and probably even outsell Bjork since she doesn't really sell that much since her early days ;)).

Anyway, who's in? Is there much interest around here? I know this isn't really a big Brian Wilson board like over at the Steve Hoffman site and some other places, and most of his solo album are kind of sucky IMO based on the (admittedly) little I've heard, but this one seems like one that most music nerdly types would almost feel an obligation to check out. Maybe not, though.

Also saw that BB has the new Interpol CD for under 10 smacks tomorrow. How many gonna grab that one? I bought the last one on very crappy Matador vinyl and not gonna fall for that con again. I'll take the $9.99 silver disc this time and let someone else wonder if all that rumble and surface noise is supposed to be part of the music, or not. Boy, they sure have gone downhill in recent years :(

Any other big ones on your radar screen?

MindGoneHaywire
09-27-2004, 09:20 AM
I've seen someone saying that it's #1 on Amazon. So I may lose that bet after all, but I'll be one glad mofo if I do, believe me. And I wouldn't exactly call it disappointment--this is an ESSENTIAL record. It's just tough to say it measures up to the much-improved boots that have been floating around in recent years. However, since those recordings encompass what I think would've been one of THE pop/rock records of ALL TIME...let's just say I think it would've been difficult to TOP how I feel about those recordings, since so few others have made an impression on me like those did...especially in the past decade or so. So...DON'T read that as disappointment, please. This is an OUTSTANDING record that EVERYONE should go & get...tonight at midnight. Seriously. Now, I do hope that Nonesuch is up to the task of promoting this properly (possible), though so much of that means placing 'songs' on the RADIO (doubtful). We'll see. I think that if nothing from it (Good Vibrations is probably the best bet) makes it to the radio that it will, yes, struggle, to sell 250K. I sure hope I'm wrong.

nobody
09-27-2004, 10:18 AM
A bunch of stuff coming up that I'm interested in. I've never been a big Beach Boys guy, but I may get interested in Smile, don't know. Still waiting for my local shop to get the vinyl in of Bjork's new one.

Tomorrow's Interpol, and also new Social Distortion, both of which I'll have to grab before the week's out.

Then, there's a new Tom Waits coming up next week. Then there's also new REM, Peter Murphy and Fatboy Slim, all of which could end up being good or complete crap, hard to tell with any of those.

Week after that, I'll be on the look out for a new Massive Attack soundtrack record from some movie I know nothing about.

And, I believe there's new Beck on the horizon.

D<a>amn, 2004's looking to finish strong, considering this is just what I've heard of and doesn't include anything new I'll get interested in.

Jim Clark
09-27-2004, 11:23 AM
I'm probably going to pass on Smile and someday hit J up for one of those boots instead. Finished my BB phase a long time ago and yes I realize that this isn't a BB album.

I'll take the Best Buy ad into Circuit City tomorrow and get the Interpol disc for 9.00 since they match + beat the price by 10%. More than likely grab the Best Of Delerium at the same time, wiping out any savings.

October 5-The Legends and I think a new album by Stars (Canadian band) is coming out.
October 11-Ian Broudie goes solo!

At some point this year:
Icon Of Coil
Assemblage 23
Apoptygma Berzerk

All are on my grab asap list. There was a Gary Numan album rumored to be coming out but I haven't heard anythng for quite a while but it would sure be nice.

DariusNYC
09-27-2004, 12:16 PM
I hadn't focused on the fact that Smile isn't out yet, so once last week and once this weekend I went into a record store looking for it, and ended up walking out with other stuff. First trip I walked out with Franz Ferdinand, R. Kelly, Green Day and Brandy. Second trip I walked out with The Libertines, Bjork and Nelly.

Bad Darius! I should be more disciplined.

So when I go in again looking for this record, they better have it in stock, or I'm probably going to walk out with some more consolation prizes.

nobody
09-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Which Nelly did you pick up? I grabbed Suit, and it's a good listen. I've only had a chance to hear it once, but liked it.

DariusNYC
09-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Which Nelly did you pick up? I grabbed Suit, and it's a good listen. I've only had a chance to hear it once, but liked it.

I picked up Suit. Listened to it only once as well and quite enjoyed it.

Dusty Chalk
09-27-2004, 05:14 PM
I'll be getting the Interpol, other than that, I'm not sure. I was really bad during last week's Borders sale, and caught up on a lot of Metropolis disks (which are never on sale except during Tower's increasingly disheartening storewide sale) bunch of Piazzolla (which is similarly rarely on sale), and a couple other things, so I gotta lay low for a while.

Swish
09-27-2004, 07:27 PM
along with that new Interpol since I liked the first one so much and continue to play it fairly often. As for Smile, I really can't wait to hear it. I still consider Pet Sounds to be the definitive BB record, and many agree, but J has been all over this one so I have to give it a shot. I'm still digging my recent purchases of David Kilgour's "Frozen Orange" (what a delight), Willard Grant Conspiracy's "Regard the End" (ditto), and the Fiery Furnaces' "Blueberry Boat". These three are likely going to make my top 10 for 2004, but there's still a few months left to find more gems, so I'll just keep on buying. Say, when is that new Chuck Prophet coming out, or is it already available?

Swish