Static Sound Coming From CD Player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Static Sound Coming From CD Player

UKfootball
09-26-2004, 09:33 PM
I have a Sony 300 disc CD Player. Just about anytime I play a CD, there is a static type noise in the background. The sound is there during playback of burned CD's as well as brand new CD's bought at the store. I have the red and white connecting cables connecting the CD player to my receiver. I made sure the connection was tight and I also tried using a digital optical cable thinnking maybe the connectors were bad or dirty, with no luck. The set-up I have is a 48" wide-screen TV with a pillar on each side of the TV, and the CD player sits on the shelf of one of the pillars. I've tried plugging the CD player into a separate wall outlet than everything else, and that didn't work. There is no static coming from the receiver when I watch a DVD or use the surround sound for the TV. Sometimes, a disc will play fine for a few tracks, but then the static sound starts. I've only had the CD player since the beginning of the year, and the static noise wasn't there originally. Even when the TV is not on, the static sound is there. I heard that using a digital optical cable would eliminate any interferance that the TV or anything else close to the CD player would cause if that is the problem, but that didn't work. I've tried everything I can think of with no luck, so I'm hoping someone who knows more about this stuff than me can help. I don't know if it is something I can correct myself or if there is a technical problem with the CD player that causes this sound that someone on here may be familiar with. Any help would be appreciated because I'm getting very frustrated trying to figure this out!! :confused:

markw
09-27-2004, 06:27 AM
... to try to isolate the problem. Try to "swap out" the 300 CD changer with another known working unit. Use the same connections that are in use already. If the problem persists, it's either in the cables or on the other end of the cables.

The fact that it seems to occur with both the analog (red/white RCA) and digital feed leads me to believe it's the CD player itself. Likewise, since it doesn't seem to manifest itself with any other sources tends to reinforce that thinking for me.

Quagmire
09-27-2004, 08:02 AM
I concur with Markw. A very good troubleshooting method. The first rule of troubleshooting is ALWAYS TRY TO ISOLATE THE PROBLEM! Also, have you tried something as basic as using a cleaning disc?

Something else you can try is to use EITHER the RCA analog cables OR the optical cable with the CD player; don't have both sets of cables connected to the player and receiver at the same time. Physically remove one set of cables (from both the player and the receiver) and see if that clears up the problem. If it doesn't then swap out the other cable and try again. Even though only one or the other of the inputs/cables should be active at a time, simply having both of them attached can conceiveably cause a problem, especially if one of the cables is bad, and... it's a very simply and cost free thing to try.

Q

UKfootball
09-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the help markw and quagmire. I did connect the analog and the optical cables separately as well as using a laser cleaner, and I had the same results. I haven't tried using another CD player with the same hook-ups, so maybe I'll try that next. I have a feeling though that it is the CD player that is the problem. I just figured it would skip if there was a problem instead of the static noise, but it seems like that is the case. Thanks again for the ideas!

Quagmire
09-28-2004, 08:07 AM
One other thing you should try... plug the wiring into a different input on your receiver. Any other input should work (except phono) and see if the problem goes away or migrates with the wiring change. If the static noise goes away then there is likely a problem with the CD input on the receiver; if it remains even when using another input, then the problem has to be associated with the CD player or the wiring itself. Like I said before, you've got to be able to isolate the problem before you can do anything to correct it. You may have tried this already but does jiggling the wires during playback have any effect on the static noise?

Q

deakinsd
03-02-2013, 10:15 AM
One other thing you should try... plug the wiring into a different input on your receiver. Any other input should work (except phono) and see if the problem goes away or migrates with the wiring change. If the static noise goes away then there is likely a problem with the CD input on the receiver; if it remains even when using another input, then the problem has to be associated with the CD player or the wiring itself. Like I said before, you've got to be able to isolate the problem before you can do anything to correct it. You may have tried this already but does jiggling the wires during playback have any effect on the static noise?

Q

I don't have a permanent solution to the problem, however I have something you might try if you have this problem.

I have the same 300 disk Sony unit, with an optical cable and 265 discs in the unit and after two years of usage it starting doing the same thing. I took out all the discs and had it serviced, with no falt being found. It worked fine for a while and then started doing it again. With the access door openned I removed the disk to the left of the one that was playing and then closed the access door and starting playing the same disk again. This time there was no static. After an hour I replaced the disc and I've been playing disk one after another for a couple of hours with no static. Perhaps because there are so many plastic discs in the player, so close to each other static builds up causing the problem. Perhaps openning the door allows more humid air into the player (temporarily?) fixing the problem I will repost as I find out more.

markw
03-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Your willingness to help is greatly appreciated but I would hope the problem has been resolved in the 8.5 years that have transpired since OP initially asked his question.

deakinsd
03-02-2013, 08:29 PM
I would hope so as well. I was thinking of the next person to have the problem and hoped that someone else could provide me with some advice. I was again getting static on my player. I removed a couple of discs; at first it did not work but after a few minutes the static stopped. Does anyone out there have a suggestion for permanently fixing this problem? Thanks

deakinsd
04-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Anyone have a permanent solution? After some play time the static returns. Can it be the hot arrid conditions causing static transfer between disks? Is there a wise engineer out there somewhere?

menschenstimme
04-02-2013, 12:19 PM
This may sound somewhat silly - but it would not hurt to try it. Place a bowl of water under the player or the audio system. People do this with their pianos all the time to protect them from arrid weather.

deakinsd
04-04-2013, 06:33 AM
This may sound somewhat silly - but it would not hurt to try it. Place a bowl of water under the player or the audio system. People do this with their pianos all the time to protect them from arrid weather.
Thanks mensch. I'll try introducing some moisture; there are no vent holes in the unit so I'm not sure the dish trick would work. I may open the access door and spray/mist in front of it (not directly in) to increase the humidity.

menschenstimme
04-04-2013, 09:12 AM
You are welcome! Just a bowl of water near enough to the player and below it might penetrate enough to reduce the static. Good luck!