Help Receiver & Subwoofer Questions for things I Should Know But Don't [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help Receiver & Subwoofer Questions for things I Should Know But Don't

hershon
09-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Can anyone help me out on some basic receiver type things that I should know but don't:

1. If I have a non HDTV TV will I get the same picture with a composite video cord (which I have) or an S video cord when playing DVD's?? What about a component video cord? If one is preferable to the other please let me know and what model number would you recommend?

Same question but for HDTV? Will I see a difference in the three and what model (would you recommend)?

2. Is it OK if my speaker wire isn't long enough to attach it to the same exact speaker wire
(I have 2 15' wires and I need a 25" connection)? Will I suffer absolutely no loss in sound/quality? Is it dangerous for the extended wire to thus be slightly exposed (at the place I connected them together)?

3. Also n regard to wiring, as I don't have the device that you can peel/cut off the coating
on to get the wire out, will you get the same signal from a speaker if only part of the wire
is put in (in other words instead of cutting it and getting100% of the wire out, I butcher it up and say get 70% if I'm lucky)?

4. I just got a second home theater system and I can either connect the sub directly to the receiver through a single input in the sub, or use a "Y" adapter and have a single sub cord attached to the left & right inputs on the sub- the speaker builder says the only difference is the sub will be louder using the 2 inputs. Which will I get better sound quality and what would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice.

bargainseeker
09-25-2004, 10:43 PM
1. If I have a non HDTV TV will I get the same picture with a composite video cord (which I have) or an S video cord when playing DVD's?? What about a component video cord? If one is preferable to the other please let me know and what model number would you recommend?
Here are the types of video connections ranked by picture quality with the best first:
1. DVI
2. Component video
3. S-video
4. Composite video

I recommend that you use the best video connection that your TV has inputs for and that your video source (DVD player, satellite receiver, cable box, etc.) has outputs for.

I don't understand what type of model recommendations you are looking for. TVs? Cables? Receivers? What are you looking for and what is your budget?

Same question but for HDTV? Will I see a difference in the three and what model (would you recommend)?
The differences will be more obvious on an HDTV-ready TV but the same advice still applies. As to HDTV recommendations, what is your budget and what screen size are you looking for?

2. Is it OK if my speaker wire isn't long enough to attach it to the same exact speaker wire
(I have 2 15' wires and I need a 25" connection)? Will I suffer absolutely no loss in sound/quality? Is it dangerous for the extended wire to thus be slightly exposed (at the place I connected them together)?
Unless you are experienced at splicing, soldering and insulating wires; I don't recommend that you do this. Your chances of a bad connection or a short circuit would be too high. Decent speaker wire is fairly cheap, see for example this wire (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=100-150) which also comes in 100 foot lengths.

3. Also n regard to wiring, as I don't have the device that you can peel/cut off the coating
on to get the wire out, will you get the same signal from a speaker if only part of the wire
is put in (in other words instead of cutting it and getting100% of the wire out, I butcher it up and say get 70% if I'm lucky)?
While you are getting speaker wire, pick up a basic wire stripper such as this one (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=360-634). If you would rather not buy online, you can also get 12 gauge speaker wire and wire strippers from Home Depot or Lowes. Just don't go for the overpriced Monster wire.

4. I just got a second home theater system and I can either connect the sub directly to the receiver through a single input in the sub, or use a "Y" adapter and have a single sub cord attached to the left & right inputs on the sub- the speaker builder says the only difference is the sub will be louder using the 2 inputs. Which will I get better sound quality and what would you recommend?
I recommend that you connect the subwoofer output jack on the receiver to the low level RCA (phono) input jack on the subwoofer. Be sure to use a shielded coaxial cable to make this connection. Adjust the loudness of the subwoofer with the gain control on the subwoofer.

hershon
09-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Thanks for your advice, especially on the speaker wire. I'm going to follow your advice and get a 25' cord of 16 guage wire. I just ran out of wire in the apartment and will probably go out on Monday to replace my temporary splice as its not worth risking a short on.

I got a decent set of Monster THX component cables at a good price on Ebay and based on your reply will get another one even though my second TV is not HDTV (If I'm in love with the HDTV I just got, I'll get a second one. I've actually gotten good results on Monster THX such as sub cable & can get them at a good price on Ebay. I thikn the Monster Ultra series is a total rip off though.

Looking for recommendations in cables.

I'll see if I can get a cheap pair of wire stripper at the places you recommended. The thing is I'm too cheap & don't want to spend over $8 on this.

Here are the types of video connections ranked by picture quality with the best first:
1. DVI
2. Component video
3. S-video
4. Composite video

I recommend that you use the best video connection that your TV has inputs for and that your video source (DVD player, satellite receiver, cable box, etc.) has outputs for.

I don't understand what type of model recommendations you are looking for. TVs? Cables? Receivers? What are you looking for and what is your budget?

The differences will be more obvious on an HDTV-ready TV but the same advice still applies. As to HDTV recommendations, what is your budget and what screen size are you looking for?

Unless you are experienced at splicing, soldering and insulating wires; I don't recommend that you do this. Your chances of a bad connection or a short circuit would be too high. Decent speaker wire is fairly cheap, see for example this wire (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=100-150) which also comes in 100 foot lengths.

While you are getting speaker wire, pick up a basic wire stripper such as this one (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=360-634). If you would rather not buy online, you can also get 12 gauge speaker wire and wire strippers from Home Depot or Lowes. Just don't go for the overpriced Monster wire.

I recommend that you connect the subwoofer output jack on the receiver to the low level RCA (phono) input jack on the subwoofer. Be sure to use a shielded coaxial cable to make this connection. Adjust the loudness of the subwoofer with the gain control on the subwoofer.