HK vs DENNON [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HK vs DENNON

Randy and Tina
09-25-2004, 04:52 PM
After using my current reciever a sony STR-DE985 for 2 years I have decided to upgrade my choices are the Harman Kardon AVR630 or the Dennon 3805 I really like the HK and feel they would go well with my JBL speakers since they are made by the same company but Im afraid I might lose to much power since the 630 is only rated at 75 watts per channel However I have heard that the power ratings on the sonys is over rated has anyone had any experience with this that might know how the HK would perform compared to my current reciever?
Thanks Randy :cool:

NickWH
09-25-2004, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't worry about power. The Sony may look better on paper, but in reality the HK is pushing more power. HK has a history of underrating their power specs (most other manufacturer's stretch the truth).

I hold no reservation in stating that the HK will be more powerful than your current receiver.

VRDUB
09-26-2004, 07:01 AM
I think the Denon would be a great receiver match for the JBL's with alot more options than the HK. Either way I would take the Denon or HK over the Sony anytime. IMO they just sound better to me.

Dale M
09-26-2004, 08:21 AM
I Have the HK and love it, I understand they rate their power differently then alot of the other makers do,so with 75 watts, It will go as loud as you like it Im sure and it will sound crisp and clean thro the whole range..
Dale M

eisforelectronic
09-26-2004, 03:26 PM
at 75 watts, the HK is probably near double the power of your Sony. I would put my 55 watt HK up against most major brand higher wattage receivers. Also you will notice the sound is much smoother and sounds less strained than your Sony. Doing A/B comparisons more detail can easily be detected from the HK. The last time I heard an HK rep do a demo she used JBL speakers. Although, to be honest she was using the JBL's because the Concert she was showing had been mixed for JBL venue speakers and she was showing how they were timbre matched across the whole range.

Anyway, I like HK a lot!

kexodusc
09-27-2004, 03:47 AM
The H/K's power supply is bigger than that of the Denon's and will most likely put out more true wattage to all channels than it.
Not that the difference is terribly substantial, I doubt it'd make a 1 dB difference, and you'd have to crank the bejeezus out of the receivers to get to that point.

I've always thought in the sub $1500 category that H/K receivers offered the most power and dynamics of any HT receiver. Not that the differences are worth getting excited over, though, their minimal at best. Ialso believe the Denon has more user friendly features, however. If I'm not mistaken the 3805 comes with it's own built in Parametric EQ/auto setup feature.

I don't think you could go wrong with either unit. Both would be a huge improvement over the sony. While neither would be my first choice, I think the Denon is slightly more competent as A/V control center.

I can't imagine one sounding outright better driving the JBL's than the other...but I've been wrong before.

laser204
09-29-2004, 04:33 PM
im looking to get HK 7300,for a couple of reasons.but the main reason i want it is because of the video chip set,and because of the power it puts out.my question is how will my tv,dvd,ps2 and xbox look.i dont know anyone that has it and i havent seen it in the stores,so i cant look for myself.if it doesnt really improve the video then i will go with the DENON 3805 and the DVDO iscan processor.but the thing is $$$$$.if i can get the all in one like the HK 7300 for 1500 to 1800 why not.other wise i would spend about 900 for the denon and another 1000 to 1300 for the processor.now for sound,i know the HK will push my polks just fine.but i think the DENON will be much better,and then theres the ARCAM DiVA AVR300 but i dont really want to spend that much on a receiver.thanks for the help..........