Rule of thumb buying used? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rule of thumb buying used?

HighFlyer
12-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Wondering if there is a general rule of thumb for buying used speakers in terms of current price vise initial purchase price.

Anything to look for in demo-ing the used goods.

Is it wise to be buying used speakers to begin with?

Thanks.

spacedeckman
12-09-2003, 08:57 PM
I don't know of any hard set rules. If the speakers are still current or have been in the past few months, 50-60% of list would be okay, lower would be better. If they are older but have some kind of thing going for them (very popular, exotic, well regarded) then 30-50% would be in the ballpark. If they are run of the mill speakers that are a few years old, 25-40%. If they came out of the back of a white van, 1%.

Worf101
12-15-2003, 09:04 AM
I've bought almost all my speakers used on ebay or audiogon. There's some general rules I use when buying used speakers...

1. Check reviews of the models you like. Make sure you've some idea as to the strength or weaknesses of the model you like and whether the item has value and/or a loyal following. Asking here about particular models in the speaker section would be good as well.

2. Check the value. There's a used speaker "Blue Book" that's helpful for this. But you can also check ebay and other auction sites to see what a particular brand of speaker is going for.

3. Find out if speaker was prone to "surround rot". Some brands of speakers have foam surrounds that rot over time. Allisons, Epi, Epicures, Bose and some others are prone to this. The speakers will have to be refoamed, either by you or someone else.

4. Check how big/heavy speakers are and factor in shipping in your budget.

5. Get enough pictures to ensure you know what damage may be on the speakers..

6. Check sellers rating and be careful... audition when you can.

Hope these help...

Da Worfster

Debbi
12-16-2003, 03:04 PM
....ie well regarded and not made any longer, I would not consider used.People have a tendency to think they got a deal and compare what they paid to retail, not realizing that they could deal with someone locally and get a substantial discount on new items. Unless you find "used" locally, you have to add the cost of shipping and a good faith belief that the condition was properly represented and latent defects were pointed out by the seller.....almost too much to ask considering human nature....plus they wont have the new car smell.