Shopping outside of the comfort zone [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shopping outside of the comfort zone

ForeverAutumn
09-25-2004, 10:39 AM
In an effort to shock my system out of this "getting bored of music again" state, I went on a little CD Shopping Spree today. I decided to invest $100 in CDs that I wouldn't normally buy in order to expand my musical horizons. These were all pretty much completely blind purchases based on recs here or reviews that I've read. Here's the purchases:

The Libertines - S/T
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
Beck - Odelay
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Constantines - Shine A Light
The Thrills - Let's Bottle Bohemia (this was playing in the store while I was wandering around - sounded like The Flaming Lips - so I bought it).

As you can see, not the usual FA fare. I'll post my thoughts once I've had a chance to listen and make some first impressions.

Oooh, this is exciting! :cool:

DarrenH
09-25-2004, 11:31 AM
I know what you mean Autumn. I was getting tired of listening to just prog so I branched out myself. Branched out into jazz and fusion and a little 80's new wave and post punk. I'm appreciating the 80's more now than I ever did back then. Bands like Midnight Oil and Duran Duran and The Simple Minds and Gary Numan were easily dismissed by me back then but I've grown to like them now. Funny how tastes change as we get older. And I've ventured into some classical as well. Caught some new things like the Mooney Suzuki and The Killers. It's all been a welcome surprise. I still listen to prog. I just mix it up more with other things.

Anyway, enjoy your new music and have a great Saturday. That Killlers disc was really very good imo. Let us know what you think.

Darren