Is front projection right for me? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is front projection right for me?

Rich
09-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Before reading this forum I had never considered front projection. Now I am beginning to wonder if it might be my best choice. First, some parameters:

1. Room is basically square, 17 feet on a side with a cathedral ceiling.
2. Ambient light: front of room windows on either side of fireplace and there is a double french door on one side wall. Back of room is open to entry hall and second story loft.
3. I don't really want a huge rptv taking up space and I don't know where I'd put it anyway.
4. Preferred seating arrangement is focused on fireplace, maybe 10 feet back.

What I am currently thinking is mounting a screen above the fireplace and putting a front projector on the back wall above the archway. The projector would thus be at least 10 feet above the floor and the bottom edge of the screen would be somewhere between 5 and 6 feet above the floor. The distance from the projector to the screen would be about 17 feet. Does that sound workable?

I am mainly concerned about the height of the screen and the throw (?) distance. I'm used to looking straight ahead at tv, not up at an angle. And just how dark does the room need to be? Most viewing will be at night but some will be during the day.

All ideas and assistance appreciated.

Geoffcin
09-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Before reading this forum I had never considered front projection. Now I am beginning to wonder if it might be my best choice. First, some parameters:

1. Room is basically square, 17 feet on a side with a cathedral ceiling.
2. Ambient light: front of room windows on either side of fireplace and there is a double french door on one side wall. Back of room is open to entry hall and second story loft.
3. I don't really want a huge rptv taking up space and I don't know where I'd put it anyway.
4. Preferred seating arrangement is focused on fireplace, maybe 10 feet back.

What I am currently thinking is mounting a screen above the fireplace and putting a front projector on the back wall above the archway. The projector would thus be at least 10 feet above the floor and the bottom edge of the screen would be somewhere between 5 and 6 feet above the floor. The distance from the projector to the screen would be about 17 feet. Does that sound workable?

I am mainly concerned about the height of the screen and the throw (?) distance. I'm used to looking straight ahead at tv, not up at an angle. And just how dark does the room need to be? Most viewing will be at night but some will be during the day.

All ideas and assistance appreciated.

I would seriously NOT recommend a front projector. Stray light on the screen has a huge effect on the picture quality witha front projector. This is the main reason that I have not gone with a front projector. Your preferred placement is not good either. Looking up at the screen will give you the same neck strain that you get when you sit in the front few rows of a movie theater.

kpzbee
09-25-2004, 07:46 PM
I'd have to agree with Geoffcin. I looked into one myself & the dealer I went to, had a window in the room with the front projector in it. I was watching it & the sales guy lifted the blind. The picture darn near dissapeared! It was that dramatic. Not suited for my living room. A basement with small or no windows is the best place for a front projector.

Rich
09-26-2004, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. While it was fun to consider for awhile I am convinced it would have been a costly mistake. I do have another room where I could put a front projection system but we don't really watch enough tv/movies to justify a dedicated theater room. I guess the thing to do now is go find a smallish entertainment console that my wife likes and then buy the biggest widescreen hd set that I can fit in it.