Friday Song of the Day? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Friday Song of the Day?

Davey
09-24-2004, 11:57 AM
I've got one that's been bouncing around my head all day. I've been listening to the Hector Zazou <i>Sahara Blue</i> CD that I mentioned in another post off and on pretty much exclusively today. And the title track sung by the breathy-voiced Barbara Gogan is stuck on mental repeat. With walkie talkies and claviers for effects :)

<i>Flower beds of amaranths up to
The pleasant palace of Jupiter
You I know spread here your Blue
Your desert Blue, almost-Sahara Blue!</i>

I think I put this one on a comp I did a coupla years ago. Too lazy right now to look it up. Anyone remember? Cool song! What's yours?

nobody
09-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Gotta go with......

<b>Marquee Moon</b> by Television.

Fantastic guitar work on a great song. I love the interplay between the two guitars on this one and near the end when everything goes off into space, then suddenly breaks and the main rythm kicks back into gear always makes me smile.

-Jar-
09-24-2004, 12:18 PM
"These Are Things" by Wheat.

I love how this song builds, until about 2/3rds of the way through the song really starts to soar and the singer almost goes into Bono mode circa "In the Name of Love" - very effective.. and the line "Because your heart's breaking, your mouth's shaking" reminds me of the old REM song "Crazy"..

-jar

Stone
09-24-2004, 12:26 PM
"Glad to see you go, go, go, go, goodbye . . . "

After listening to a couple Ramones albums last week, I can't seem to get their songs out of my head. Definitely not a bad earwig, though.

Mr MidFi
09-24-2004, 12:43 PM
"I'm a Wheel" from the new Wilco disc. It's infectious and bouncy as hell, and has the best deliberately dumb rhyme of the year:

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9
Once in Germany someone said 'nein'

Fun song. Unusual album.

Mr MidFi
09-24-2004, 12:46 PM
...reminds me of the old REM song "Crazy"..

That's actually a remake of a Pylon song. They're also from Athens.

-Jar-
09-24-2004, 12:52 PM
damn! I was thinking that it was some other song on DEAD LETTER OFFICE was the Pylon song. Thanks for pointing that out.

-jar

Ex Lion Tamer
09-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Finally got this album yesterday after much ballyhoo from critics and hipsters alike. Sounds good so far. My eight-year-old made me play this song three times in a row...so I guess it is my SOD by default.

Davey
09-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Finally got this album yesterday after much ballyhoo from critics and hipsters alike. Sounds good so far. My eight-year-old made me play this song three times in a row...so I guess it is my SOD by default.
Hehehe, raising a cute little indie hipster elitist snob, eh? Isn't that the Leonard Cohen song? Wonder what that means? I never quite came to terms with Grace but I know that many love it dearly, both critics and regular non-geeky music lovers too. I remember posing a question on the old board about why people like it so much and was a bit surprised to find that most people that replied felt kind of like me.

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF63926.php

Nice that albums like this are being kept alive and reintroduced to a younger generation with "deluxe" editions. That can only be good in my view, although it does tend to perpetuate the myth some spread that there are very few albums of that caliber. The new deluxe edition of London Calling will probably trump anything from the last decade for critical acclaim since I doubt anyone will dare say a bad word about it. I wouldn't either since it's a great album, but it is 25 years old and it's kind of unfair to have to compete in the market against that type of near universal acclaim if you're a new band trying to get heard...in a way...I guess :)

Dusty Chalk
09-24-2004, 05:49 PM
I got nuthin'.

-Jar-
09-24-2004, 06:46 PM

That song does appear in the first SHREK movie sung by Rufus Wainwright, but as I am looking it up on Amazon it appears that John Cale sings it in the movie, the Wainwright version is on the soundtrack cd. Weird.

-jar

ForeverAutumn
09-25-2004, 05:08 AM
That song does appear in the first SHREK movie sung by Rufus Wainwright, but as I am looking it up on Amazon it appears that John Cale sings it in the movie, the Wainwright version is on the soundtrack cd. Weird.

-jar

Hmmm. Makes me wonder if Wainwright is signed to the record label that released the soundtrack and Cale isn't. Would the label give preference to their own artists for this kind of stuff?

SOD --- this is pretty mainstream, but I've been humming Matchbox Twenty's Unwell all day.

I've never paid much attention to this band, but picked up their most recent album, mainly for this song. I'm surprised how much I am enjoying this disk. It's very good IMO. Good enough for me to want to try another one.

Stone
09-25-2004, 08:25 AM
SOD

Okay, my new song of the day is "Anti-Procrastination Song."

nobody
09-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Well, if you're gonna get all hardcore and s<a>hit, now I gotta decide if I wanna pick Street Justice by the Cro-Mags or Here Come the Cops by the Afflicted.

DariusNYC
09-25-2004, 07:10 PM
"American Idiot" -- Green Day.

Oh yeah.

Mike
09-27-2004, 01:21 AM
"These Are Things" by Wheat.

I love how this song builds, until about 2/3rds of the way through the song really starts to soar -jar

Hey Jar, that has to be one of my favourite songs over the last couple of years I just never tire of hearing it. And I know just what you mean about 2/3rds into the song, just when you think it's peaked it suddenly takes on a new life. It's a perfect song in my books.

As for my Friday/Monday song I'll choose Razorlight - Up All Night

Cheers
Mike

Davey
09-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Well, after a weekend of pigging out on the new Arcade Fire disc, I've still got "Crown of Lies" and "Wake Up" and especially the anthemic "Rebellion (Lies)" stuck on fragmented but infinite repeat in my head this Monday morning. Can't complain cause it really is a pretty nice place to be. Who knew a few years ago that Canada was soon to be the center of the indie rock universe? Hehehe, well maybe not the center but there sure seems to be a bunch of good bands and albums coming from all across Canada in recent times. Many, many more than I can keep up with. And with a refreshing sense of adventure that was starting to be missed by many of us indie snobs ;)

<i><font size="-1">Every time you close your eyes Lies, Lies! People try and hide the night underneath the covers. People try and hide the light underneath the covers. Come on hide your lovers underneath the covers, come on hide your lovers underneath the covers. Hidin' from your brothers underneath the covers, come on hide your lovers underneath the covers. People say that you'll die faster than without water, but we know it's just a lie, scare your son, scare your daughter, Scare your son, scare your daughter. Now here's the sun, it's alright! (Lies!) Now here's the moon, it's alright! (Lies!) Now here's the sun, it's alright! (Lies!) Now here's the moon it's alright (Lies!) But every time you close your eyes. Lies!!!!</font></i>

Audio Girl
09-27-2004, 08:57 AM
In case you missed my post, my song of the day last Friday was "Tupelo Honey". I also got to listen to several spins of "Van Lear Rose" by Loretta Lynn. That is a powerful CD, Jack White did an excellent job on the production end. Of particular interest was "Miss being Mrs" and "This Old House". You can feel her pain. And joy.

Ag

DariusNYC
09-27-2004, 04:15 PM

-jar

I don't think that was the John Cale version that was included in the movie. It didn't sound like it to me, but maybe I was mistaken. I assumed it was Rufus Wainwright.