hiss [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : hiss

cjg321
09-23-2004, 10:30 PM
I have a hiss coming form my speakers. My system is Parasound preamp and amp, B&W CM-6 speakers, Rotel CD, KImber 8 TC speaker wire (bi-wired) and Kimber hero interconnections. The hiss is only coming form the tweeters and is loud enough to be heard at low listening levels or approx. 7to 9 feet away when the system is on but nothing is playing. The hiss was not alway in the system, but started 2 weeks ago. HOW CAN I TROUBLE SHOOT THIS AND REMOVE THE HISS. Thank you for any help!!!

markw
09-24-2004, 03:15 AM
It originates in one of the upstream components and they simply reproduce it. The only real way to pinpoint it's source is to isolate it to whichever component generates it.

Does it do it for any source or only one source? If only one source, then the cause is obvious.

Does is do it when only the power amp is on and not the preamp? Then I'd be looking at the power amp.

It may come down to actually removing the components from the circuit one at a time. HEck, it's even possible it could be a bad interconect but I kinda doubt it.

etc... etc...

IMNSHO, I'd suspect the preamp but I've been wrong before.