The Legends = Ian Broudie? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Legends = Ian Broudie?

Jim Clark
09-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Caught this MP3 at pitchfork and instantly fell into it the music. The Legends disc comes out Oct. 5 and I'm excited for that day to come. Not too much on the web that I've found except that the members names and bio's are being kept underwraps. Kind of a goofy gimmick but I like the track. On the way home from work it hit me, the guy singing is Ian Broudie (Lightning Seeds and producer of several pretty cool albums among other things). Anyone else that may care should check out the track and if you agree, please let me know. FWIW the Asobi Seksu tracks are pretty darn cool as well but snipets fromt the rest of the album don't strike me as being nearly as good.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/mp3/

jc

Jim Clark
09-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Well, OK, maybe it's not. A little further investigation shows that on Oct. 11 Ian is releasing a solo album on Sony. I need to quit doing this sluething or I'm gonna go broke.

jc

Davey
09-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Hey Jim, I did download the "There and Back Again" song a few days ago and it is pretty enjoyable. Sounds kind of familiar, though, don't you think? Not that there's anything wrong with that. I did notice there's a couple more songs available at the label but didn't try them yet. Just did a quick search and there was a conversation about them over at CMJ recently and one person said that the main guy in the band is also the head guy at their Swedish label, Labrador. Anyway, you probably already saw all that but keep us up to date if you hear more. Nice find. You're right about going broke...I've downloaded quite a few songs recently that probably would've had me popping for the full album in years past. Guess I'm starting to develop a little more pickiness (or just better sense :)).

http://www.cmj.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021481.html

Jim Clark
09-26-2004, 06:49 AM
Hey Jim, I did download the "There and Back Again" song a few days ago and it is pretty enjoyable. Sounds kind of familiar, though, don't you think? Not that there's anything wrong with that. I did notice there's a couple more songs available at the label but didn't try them yet. Just did a quick search and there was a conversation about them over at CMJ recently and one person said that the main guy in the band is also the head guy at their Swedish label, Labrador. Anyway, you probably already saw all that but keep us up to date if you hear more. Nice find. You're right about going broke...I've downloaded quite a few songs recently that probably would've had me popping for the full album in years past. Guess I'm starting to develop a little more pickiness (or just better sense :)).

http://www.cmj.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021481.html

It was very familiar on a number of different levels which is probably why it scored so highly. Smiths and the Lightning Seeds almost immediately came to mind. For me to enjoy new music doesn't take the reinventing of the wheel which of course can be a curse when the Visa bill shows up. I was thinking about a review I read about the new clinic album which basically said it was the same type of stuff that was on the previous Clinic albums and how it just doesn't work anymore. Currently that line of thinking leaves me scratching my head. If the other albums were great, and this is pretty much the same then I'd think this would be great too. Massive Attack endured the same type of comments last year and of course I was enamored with that album. I dunno, maybe I don't require the bar be set at the highest level for me to enjoy something but that doesn't mean it's laying on the ground either.

Thanks for providing the link since I did miss that and also have not heard the other tracks on the label site.

jc

Davey
09-26-2004, 11:45 AM
It was very familiar on a number of different levels which is probably why it scored so highly. Smiths and the Lightning Seeds almost immediately came to mind. For me to enjoy new music doesn't take the reinventing of the wheel which of course can be a curse when the Visa bill shows up. I was thinking about a review I read about the new clinic album which basically said it was the same type of stuff that was on the previous Clinic albums and how it just doesn't work anymore. Currently that line of thinking leaves me scratching my head. If the other albums were great, and this is pretty much the same then I'd think this would be great too. Massive Attack endured the same type of comments last year and of course I was enamored with that album. I dunno, maybe I don't require the bar be set at the highest level for me to enjoy something but that doesn't mean it's laying on the ground either.
I don't really hear the Smiths in it but that may just be me since I don't listen to them much anymore. I can go both ways on the "sounds the same as the last album" issue, although I do tend to side with the critics when they dock an artist for repeating themselves. I'm also known for only following bands a relatively short time before moving on to something else, usually no more than three albums, which is one of my pseudo-serious rules. That is, unless a band does something really different, I almost never buy more than three of their albums in modern times. Works well for me and allows me to invest my time and money in many artists I would never get the chance to hear otherwise. But that's just me. I imagine this board is roughly split on whether they would like a progression on each album. Maybe the majority would fall in your camp, but there are also a few that feel like me. But my rules aren't all that hard and fast, and I recognize that change just for the sake of change isn't good either. But all else being equal, I'd prefer a band to bang up against my tolerance for accessibility before just repeating the sound of a good album, even if the repeat also sounded very good. At least, I think. Probably a good topic for a separate thread, but it's too disheartening when only about 10 people view my posts....so I'll leave it down here :)

BTW, I noticed you asked about that National EP in another thread and I guess Mike has you covered, but it is pretty nice. Only 7 songs, 5 of which are new and one live on the radio and one by a collaborator, but all new to me since I hadn't heard their previous album (note to self - hear previous album). I really like these guys alot. The CD should only set you back about $7 or $8 unless you get it gratis. At least I wouldn't pay much more than that for an EP and you can get it online for under $7. Think I might've paid $8 locally plus tax. Anyway, nice little album and mostly similar to that song on my comp, although the songs are all distinctive and some are a little noisier.