New to site..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New to site.....

JamesV
09-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Hello all,
I was reading a lot of the threads and was wondering, what are some of the better places to get a/v equipment from on the internet. I've seen B&H from New York and have heard that they are good but I was thinking that if a can comparison shop, price wise, then just going to them for everything. The equipment I'm looking for are new speakers, all around, and receiver.

Thanks in advance for the help.......

lumiere
09-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Hi.
B&H is really for pro video, photography and audio. You won't find there what you are looking for. Audio Advisor.com is a good choice online. Also MusicDirect and http://www.audioconnect.com/.

Cheers
Miguel

markw
09-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Low prices? Generally, these are from grey market dealers that are not authorized dealers for some ofthe brands they sell. This can make warranty work dicey.

Best service? These may charge a little more but are generally authorized for the brands they sell.

Best brands? Depends on what you are looking for.

Best selection? Could be either of the above.

Hoccm you don't want to even explore your local options?

FWIW, I've always liked http://www.saturdayaudio.com but they might not have what you need.

E-Stat
09-23-2004, 02:50 PM
... but I was thinking that if a can comparison shop, price wise, then just going to them for everything. The equipment I'm looking for are new speakers, all around, and receiver.
While differences in electronics are more subtle, there are pretty substantial diffferences to be found with speakers. They come in many flavors and are optimized for different situations and music types. If sound quality matters to you, I recommend going out and auditioning a range of speakers to determine which works best for you. That is not necessarily a quick or easy task. Once you establish what speaker you want, then you mate a receiver or amplfier to the power and load requirements of the speaker.

rw

JamesV
09-24-2004, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm going to look at the sites that everyone posted and decide what I'm going to do.

MarkW, the only places that I know of around me is BB and CC. I'm going to check into that a bit and see if I can find a dedicated HT store. I know of one that I can go and look at.

Thanks E-Stat, I going to take your advise and got speakers first then match up everything to them.