Everyone Always Makes a List of Favorite Films; How About Opinions on the WORST Films [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Everyone Always Makes a List of Favorite Films; How About Opinions on the WORST Films

Lexmark3200
09-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Here is what I have on the top of my head regarding some of the worst films ever made, simply in my own opinion; I'll add as I think of more....these get my award:

Exorcist II: The Heretic
2Fast2Furious
Jaws: The Revenge
The Italian Job (original; please no flaming on this: It's my opinion)
Amityville 1992: Its About Time
Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes
Amityville: A New Generation
Amityville: Dollhouse (was this REALLY necessary?)
Amityville Curse
Lawnmower Man 2
Galaxy Quest

More will come to mind as I think of them.....

alumpkin
09-23-2004, 12:26 PM
For starters...

The Pledge
Head of State
Bringing Down the House
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (the women were nice though)

alumpkin
09-23-2004, 12:52 PM
After looking up my poorly rated Netflix movies here are some more:

Jeeper Creepers
The Villain
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
Universal Soldier: The Return
Children of the Corn IV
The Graveyard Shift
The Real Cancun
The Core
Like Mike
Down to Earth
Pootie Tang
Breakfast of Champions
Solo
The Master of Disguise
House of the Dead
Black Knight
Batman and Robin
Dungeons & Dragons
Encino Man
Escape from LA
Ernest Goes to Jail
Freejack

I am sure some people are going to have some differing opinions, but these are some movies I really didn't like.

JSE
09-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Let's See?

1. TOYS
2. WAITING FOR GUFMAN (SP?)
3. DAREDEVIL (Just about anything with AAAAAFLAAAAACK)
4. OPEN WATERS
5. EXORCIST II
6. BATTLEFIELD EARTH
7. FLASH GORDON
9: All FRIDAY THE 13TH movies.
10. EUROPEAN AND VEGAS VACATIONS.

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

JSE

alumpkin
09-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Let's See?

1. TOYS
2. WAITING FOR GUFMAN (SP?)
3. DAREDEVIL (Just about anything with AAAAAFLAAAAACK)
4. OPEN WATERS
5. EXORCIST II
6. BATTLEFIELD EARTH
7. FLASH GORDON
9: All FRIDAY THE 13TH movies.
10. EUROPEAN AND VEGAS VACATIONS.

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

JSE

Wow, I forgot about Daredevil and Battlefield Earth. Thanks JSE. I thought Open Waters was bad, but I wouldn't put in my worst movie ever list, but I hear where you are coming from.

JSE
09-23-2004, 01:12 PM

Jeeper Creepers
The Villain
Children of the Corn IV
The Graveyard Shift
The Real Cancun
The Core
Like Mike
Down to Earth
Pootie Tang
Breakfast of Champions
Solo
The Master of Disguise
House of the Dead
Black Knight
Batman and Robin
Dungeons & Dragons
Encino Man
Escape from LA
Ernest Goes to Jail
Freejack

I am sure some people are going to have some differing opinions, but these are some movies I really didn't like.

Jeez, your list reminds me of a lot of movies that I also thought sucked. I can't believe you can remember all these. The only one I can somewhat disagree with is The Real Cancun. Any movie with that much female skin just can't be put on a "Worst List". I started to put Showgirls on the list but again, can't do it. :D

JSE

Dusty Chalk
09-23-2004, 02:07 PM
But I guess that's the danger of lists like these -- always, there are bound to be movies on these lists that I like. Oh, well...

Mine:

Ishtar
Avengers
Batman and Robin
Perfect Storm (I know I'm in the minority on this -- I'll respond to all the flames now: bite me, it's just an opinion.)

...hmm..can't really think of any others (that I've seen -- didn't see Battlefield Earth).

sc03979
09-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Some of these movies aren't necessarily awful just much worst then what I expected.

Eyes Wide Shut
Gothika
Hollow Man
Gods and Generals
Any Batman without Michael Keaton

Lexmark3200
09-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Wow, didnt think it would garner this much attention; nice detail here, guys....must totally agree with some of you, like on Charlies Angels....nice girls, ****ty film....but disagree with some of your choices on WORST FILMS OF ALL TIME where JSE included "Open Waters" and some others; while that film gets polarized reactions, I dont think it really belongs in "The Worst Films Of All Time" category....Im glad I wasnt the only one who thought Exorcist II was one of the all-time most horrendous films ever made; it really was.

Oh, and how about "Leprechaun: Back In The Hood"....? Did any of you see THAT piece of crap? HOW does this stuff even GET MADE??

Lexmark3200
09-23-2004, 08:37 PM
But I guess that's the danger of lists like these -- always, there are bound to be movies on these lists that I like. Oh, well...

Mine:

Ishtar
Avengers
Batman and Robin
Perfect Storm (I know I'm in the minority on this -- I'll respond to all the flames now: bite me, it's just an opinion.)

...hmm..can't really think of any others (that I've seen -- didn't see Battlefield Earth).

Yeah, no flaming, but MUST disagree with you on Perfect Storm; I liked it and own the DVD. It wasnt fabulous, though, but I wouldnt put it on my worst films of all time list.

Lexmark3200
09-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Some of these movies aren't necessarily awful just much worst then what I expected.

Eyes Wide Shut
Gothika
Hollow Man
Gods and Generals
Any Batman without Michael Keaton

Yeah SC,

I dont think any of these warrant "worst ever made films of all time...."; to be honest, they may have been bad (which, yeah, a couple on your list were), but they werent entirely not watchable, like some others listed in this post are......interesting response, though. Thanks.

Worf101
09-24-2004, 06:02 AM
Here's my list off the top of my head,.

1. Star Wars Episode I - For all the reasons enumerated over and over again by myself and others. The creator of Jar Jar Binks should have his head lopped off and put on spike for all to see.

3. Aliens 3 - The worst pile of excrement seen in a while. How to take a wonderful franchise and destroy it. Only good thing was it was filmed so darkly I couldn't see a thing.

4. The Shadow - I'd read these books as a kid and listened to tapes of the old radio shows. How can you destroy so venerable a character by putting a godd**n Baldwin in it.

5. Gods and Generals - Ohhh see the gallant Southern Gentlemen repel the nasty foreign invaders from tne Norf (errr the South fired first). Ohhh look at the happy darkies, tearfully crying for their daid massa's and defending thier property from the ravagin' Yankee scum (err right, that's the ticket). I hadn't been so mad leaving a movie since Star Wars Episode I.

6. Peal Harbor - Hmm how historically innaccurate can we make this movie. Oh I know let's have P40 Warhawks fly like X-Wings and use the the whole mish mash as a backdrop for the tiredest love story in the history of mankind.

7. Batman's 3 and 4 - So sh***y I can't even remember the titles. Thank God...

8. The Avengers - Sigh, can you please leave me alone with my memories of the REAL Emma Peel!!!??? Why did you have to ruin this for me.

9. Superman (?) The Quest for Peas? - Richard Pryor should be ashamed of himself, or am I confusing the two?

10. Another 48 Hours - Just couldn't leave well enough alone could they???

11. Beverly Hills Cop II and III - See the above and triple it.

12. Black Knight - When will someone tell Martin Lawrence that he stopped bein' funny about 6 years ago. Like Pryor he was funnier when on cocaine.

13. King Kong (1970 something) - Sigh.... a crime against humanity.

14. The Black Hole - My first inkling that Disney really was dead.

15. Contact - Three hours of that chite only to be told "it's a matter of faith". Puhleese.

Well that's enough for now. I'm making myself sick...

Da Worfster :(

JSE
09-24-2004, 06:53 AM
"14. The Black Hole - My first inkling that Disney really was dead. "

Ahh, Worf, your killin me. I loved this movie. I saw it again on cable about 6 months ago or so. I had not seen it in years, many years. I used to have poster of the Dr's cheif bad robot (cannot remember his name for some reason) standing there on that rock in the middle of the Black Hole which seemed to resemble hell. See, that's deep! :D

JSE

Dusty Chalk
09-24-2004, 07:35 AM
Yeah, no flaming, but MUST disagree with you on Perfect Storm; I liked it and own the DVD. It wasnt fabulous, though, but I wouldnt put it on my worst films of all time list.I guess what I didn't like about it (and films like it) is when movies are "vehicles" for particular actors to "act". This one was a multi-purpose vehicle for the entire ensemble to "act", and I just didn't think it went anywhere. I don't mind "acting", but I hate it when they're too obvious and "Hollywood" about it. (And I have been a fan of George Clooney since From Dusk Til Dawn -- he's just such a very charismatic actor.)

Oh, oh, another one, what was that one with Jodie Foster and ...Richard Gere, was it? Oh, yeah, Somersby -- retch.

I have to agree with Contact. The best thing about that one was what's-his-name...erm...the psycho...I guess it was the Henry Strozier character, the minister?

And of course, with a list as comprehensive as Worf's, I have to disagree with one or two: Aliens 3 (I like courageous films -- in fact, I dug the whole franchise/quadrilogy/whatever, and need to get those on DVD), Beverly Hills Cop II (I liked Tony Scott's direction on that one).

I liked Black Hole until the end, but the end was so bad it ruined the rest of the movie for me.

Lexmark3200
09-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Here's my list off the top of my head,.

1. Star Wars Episode I - For all the reasons enumerated over and over again by myself and others. The creator of Jar Jar Binks should have his head lopped off and put on spike for all to see.

3. Aliens 3 - The worst pile of excrement seen in a while. How to take a wonderful franchise and destroy it. Only good thing was it was filmed so darkly I couldn't see a thing.

4. The Shadow - I'd read these books as a kid and listened to tapes of the old radio shows. How can you destroy so venerable a character by putting a godd**n Baldwin in it.

5. Gods and Generals - Ohhh see the gallant Southern Gentlemen repel the nasty foreign invaders from tne Norf (errr the South fired first). Ohhh look at the happy darkies, tearfully crying for their daid massa's and defending thier property from the ravagin' Yankee scum (err right, that's the ticket). I hadn't been so mad leaving a movie since Star Wars Episode I.

6. Peal Harbor - Hmm how historically innaccurate can we make this movie. Oh I know let's have P40 Warhawks fly like X-Wings and use the the whole mish mash as a backdrop for the tiredest love story in the history of mankind.

7. Batman's 3 and 4 - So sh***y I can't even remember the titles. Thank God...

8. The Avengers - Sigh, can you please leave me alone with my memories of the REAL Emma Peel!!!??? Why did you have to ruin this for me.

9. Superman (?) The Quest for Peas? - Richard Pryor should be ashamed of himself, or am I confusing the two?

10. Another 48 Hours - Just couldn't leave well enough alone could they???

11. Beverly Hills Cop II and III - See the above and triple it.

12. Black Knight - When will someone tell Martin Lawrence that he stopped bein' funny about 6 years ago. Like Pryor he was funnier when on cocaine.

13. King Kong (1970 something) - Sigh.... a crime against humanity.

14. The Black Hole - My first inkling that Disney really was dead.

15. Contact - Three hours of that chite only to be told "it's a matter of faith". Puhleese.

Well that's enough for now. I'm making myself sick...

Da Worfster :(

Okay, Worfie....sure its been awhile since this topic was posted, but must agree with you on many of these.....it was actually Superman III that had Richard Pryor in it, and you are CRACKING ME UP right now with your title for Superman IV: The Quest For PEAS!!!! It was actually PEACE....but these two films WERE horrible; it is actually what is stopping me from buying the Superman box set collection. Contact was another horrible attempt at sci fi, you are correct. Pearl Harbor I will agree with, that it was horribly historically inaccurate, but I dont think it quite belongs on the list of all time worst; dont even get me started on the backdrop love story plot; that was completely assinine and ridiculous, and simply satisfied this theater going generation's inability to sit in their seats and watch a piece of cinema about something that actually happened during this country's history WITHOUT some kind of sappy, ridiculous idiotic love story attached to it, a la "Titanic," which I blame for starting all this crap. Still, the sound and visuals of Michael Bay's "Pearl Harbor" in the Vista Series two disc THX mastered, DTS-ladened version I think may make up for the film's shortcomings, and may be the reason why the film MAY make it into my collection at some point.

More for the "Worst Films of all Time" list? How about Police Academy....oh....say.....number 4 on, "Citizens on Patrol," "Assignment: Miami Beach" and "Mission to Moscow".....did anyone actually SEE Mission to Moscow???

kexodusc
09-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Here's a few:

1) Cool Runnings
2) Windtalkers
3) Wing Commander - yucko
4) Dances with Wolves
5) Gigli
6) Battlefield Earth
7) The End of the Affair
8) Jackie Brown (even Tarantino doesn't acknowledge this film any more)
9) Eyes Wide Shut
10) Mummy 2

Dusty Chalk
09-24-2004, 01:52 PM
8) Jackie Brown (even Tarantino doesn't acknowledge this film any more)I have a friend whose favourite Tarantino film is Jackie Brown. And, what do you mean, he doesn't acknowledge it?
10) Mummy 2Aw, c'mon, that was a great film! Well, not "great" as in "Oscar-worthy", but great as in one of the few sequels that did not disappoint. It was fun! I thought it was as good as the first one.

I haven't seen Pearl Harbor, but I heard it's bad. Who cares if the sound and colors are wonderful?

Oh, here's a couple: Matrix 2 & 3. So disappointing, after the innovation of the first one.

Lexmark3200
09-24-2004, 03:10 PM
I have a friend whose favourite Tarantino film is Jackie Brown. And, what do you mean, he doesn't acknowledge it?Aw, c'mon, that was a great film! Well, not "great" as in "Oscar-worthy", but great as in one of the few sequels that did not disappoint. It was fun! I thought it was as good as the first one.

I haven't seen Pearl Harbor, but I heard it's bad. Who cares if the sound and colors are wonderful?

Oh, here's a couple: Matrix 2 & 3. So disappointing, after the innovation of the first one.

Well I happen to care if sound and visuals are wonderful. Thats why I spent the big bucks for the install, cracko.

Geoffcin
09-24-2004, 04:45 PM
That would be Van Helsing for me.

The CGI monster is out of the bag and running wild all over a screen near you!

Hugh Jackman looked like he couldn't wait for this movie to be over, and I agree with him 100%.

Kate Beckinsale's Transylvanian accent will go down as possibly the worst accent ever forged.

There was one memorable line in the move though;

Dracula to Igor as Igor is torturing the Werewolf with a cattle prod;

Igor, why do you that?

Igor; But master, that's what I do.

Dusty Chalk
09-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Well I happen to care if sound and visuals are wonderful. Thats why I spent the big bucks for the install, cracko.No, no, don't get me wrong -- I go over to a friend's house every chance I can, because he has a big-bucks HT system -- mostly for the sound and visuals. I'm just saying the best sound and visuals in the world won't save a bad movie, that's all.
Kate Beckinsale's Transylvanian accent will go down as possibly the worst accent ever forged. Nope. It is bad, in fact, it's up there in my top 10 worst that I've seen recently, but the mother in Man on Fire was all over the place -- Southern at one point, fake-British-rich-snob in another, you name it. I could almost justify it (the Southern is during a breakdown, so I'm thinking maybe she's breaking down, and regressing to her Southern roots), but then again...

But the worst was Nicole Kidman's in Cold Mountain. Sorry, Nicole, I love you dearly, and you are a wonderful actress, so I can only blame the director.

Lexmark3200
09-24-2004, 11:18 PM
Okay, I thought of a couple of others that belonged in my original list....Grease 2 and Stayin Alive...two ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY UNNECESSARY sequels.

Lexmark3200
09-24-2004, 11:23 PM
"No, no, don't get me wrong -- I go over to a friend's house every chance I can, because he has a big-bucks HT system -- mostly for the sound and visuals. I'm just saying the best sound and visuals in the world won't save a bad movie, that's all."

Well, when broken down succinctly, perhaps that may be correct, but sometimes I find myself forgiving certain films because of their absolutely beautiful marketing or performance on Digital Versatile Disc; this has happened with Pearl Harbor for me, and because of its THX mastered delivery, its DTS soundtrack and the gorgeous packaging, I will probably add it to my collection soon. Sure, the film sucked great big donkey dick, and I am a surface fan of Michael Bay's, but it was a travesty of a film that did no justice or homage to the surviving families of folks lost during that cowardly raid and at the same time HID behind a sappy, ridiculous nauseating love triangle story that was COMPLETELY unnecessary.

But, in Home Theater Magazine's "DVDs Of All Time" issue, Pearl Harbor fell in the category of "BEST DVD PRESENTATIONS OF BAD FILMS...." or some such mention; it said something about Pearl Harbor having an absolutely gorgeous packaging scheme and awesome transfer and it was too bad because it was a movie that was "just so ridiculously corny while not even trying........"

Lexmark3200
09-24-2004, 11:30 PM

Jeeper Creepers
The Villain
Children of the Corn IV
The Graveyard Shift
The Real Cancun
The Core
Like Mike
Down to Earth
Pootie Tang
Breakfast of Champions
Solo
The Master of Disguise
House of the Dead
Black Knight
Batman and Robin
Dungeons & Dragons
Encino Man
Escape from LA
Ernest Goes to Jail
Freejack

Of your list, I enjoy and/or own the following, so must disagree (on):

Escape From LA (Thought it was a clever sequel to one of my favorite Carpenter films, Escape From New York; Russell just seems born to play Snake Plissken)

Jeepers Creepers (my better half loves this and part 2, and I thought they were nifty little horror flicks that "creeped" me out and which I hadnt felt in a long time from today's horror films; the idea of the "Creeper" was pretty cool)

Graveyard Shift (while not great, I thought this was a neat Stephen King adaptation for the screen; Stephen Macht is just downright creepy in this and so is Brad Douriff as the rat exterminator)

The other titles on your list I agree with; man were some of these bad.....Like Mike and The Core....holy ****....those were bad.....

alumpkin
09-27-2004, 05:35 AM
Of your list, I enjoy and/or own the following, so must disagree (on):

Escape From LA (Thought it was a clever sequel to one of my favorite Carpenter films, Escape From New York; Russell just seems born to play Snake Plissken)

Jeepers Creepers (my better half loves this and part 2, and I thought they were nifty little horror flicks that "creeped" me out and which I hadnt felt in a long time from today's horror films; the idea of the "Creeper" was pretty cool)

Graveyard Shift (while not great, I thought this was a neat Stephen King adaptation for the screen; Stephen Macht is just downright creepy in this and so is Brad Douriff as the rat exterminator)

The other titles on your list I agree with; man were some of these bad.....Like Mike and The Core....holy ****....those were bad.....

Lexmark, I do have to agree somewhat here. I say somewhat because I would still have these movies on my list, but they are the better ones that thinking back, shouldn't be on the worst movies of all time list. Escape from New York was entertaining and I agree about Russell, but it was just a little too over the top for me. I guess I was just disapointed with Jeepers Creepers... it started out well and then went downhill. I did like the 2nd Jeepers Creepers though. Graveyard Shift... yeah I was probably unfair... for the time it came out, the special effects were good and I agree that the story was pretty good as well. Overall, you make some good points.

Lexmark3200
09-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Lexmark, I do have to agree somewhat here. I say somewhat because I would still have these movies on my list, but they are the better ones that thinking back, shouldn't be on the worst movies of all time list. Escape from New York was entertaining and I agree about Russell, but it was just a little too over the top for me. I guess I was just disapointed with Jeepers Creepers... it started out well and then went downhill. I did like the 2nd Jeepers Creepers though. Graveyard Shift... yeah I was probably unfair... for the time it came out, the special effects were good and I agree that the story was pretty good as well. Overall, you make some good points.

Understandable; as a serious, avid film buff who studied communications and film techniques at New York's Hofstra University, I feel my opinions on most Hollywood created products are shared by a majority of people; when I usually say something sucks, it usually sucks, and vice versa; thats why I felt the titles on YOUR list didnt necessarily belong on a really, really horrid, "worst films of all time" list.....I mean, I dont think they were unwatchable....thats a really heavy honor to bestow on a piece of **** such as Grease 2, 2Fast2Furious and Exorcist II. THESE were bad, but I was actually ENTERTAINED by some on your list, including Escape From LA and Jeepers Creepers. I am glad you re-thought some of your stance here; you made the right choice! And yes, please give Graveyard Shift another chance....that giant rat/bat creature at the end was worth the price of admission alone...if not for Brad Douriff and Stephen Macht's seedy chararacters; nowhere near the best horror film of all time, but a decent Stephen King adapatation nonetheless, perhaps next to "It" and "Sleepwalkers."

Lexmark3200
09-27-2004, 07:45 AM
That would be Van Helsing for me.

The CGI monster is out of the bag and running wild all over a screen near you!

Hugh Jackman looked like he couldn't wait for this movie to be over, and I agree with him 100%.

Kate Beckinsale's Transylvanian accent will go down as possibly the worst accent ever forged.

There was one memorable line in the move though;

Dracula to Igor as Igor is torturing the Werewolf with a cattle prod;

Igor, why do you that?

Igor; But master, that's what I do.

Wow, now THIS I seriously need to disagree with....I thought "Helsing" was the best action film I had seen the whole season of theater-going when it came out, and cant wait to get the DVD (which I heard Universal is only putting a Dolby 5.1 track on, no DTS)....no way in the world is Van Helsing the worst film made in all of time....no way.

Retardking
09-27-2004, 08:30 AM
1. Showgirls- I thought boobs could save any movie. This one proves that theory incorrect. I was 16 or 17 when I saw it in the theater and I was ready to walk out, but I saw it with a couple of my friends. When the movie was over I mentioned I wanted to walk out about 30 minutes into it. Both of my friends thought the same thing, but didn't think the others would want to go.

2. The Avengers- I saw this a long time ago, and really can't remember much about it. I just know I the pall of boredom that overcame me.

3. Speed- Made me want to never see a Keanu Reeves move ever again. (Finally gave in and watched The Matrix last week, yeah I hated Speed that much!) It was just so stupid and the continuity errors are abundant. (Watch for the cameras reflected off the bus for example)

4. Brotherhood of the Wolf- I didn't understand it. Maybe it was because I was sleepy when I saw it. But nonetheless, there wasn't much entertainment value to it for me.

5. The Net- Did anyone else see this? Best thing about this movie was David Spade mentioning it in a "Hollywood Minute" segment on SNL. (Did you see the movie about the talking pig? That's right Sandra Bullock in The Net. Or something to that effect)

6. Natural Born Killers- Would've been an okay movie if it would've ended when I thought it was going to. But when you add that next hour that followed, it becomes torturous. Not a being a fan of Juliette Lewis also hurts this one.

7. Independence Day- I really like Will Smith and the movie had a cameo by Harry Connick Jr. to boot, but Bill Pullman drags every movie down.

8. Twister- I never thought you could root for a tornado. Then I saw Twister. Nice CGI, but what was the point. Coolest thing about the movie was when leaving the theater, a thunderstorm was starting to make its way toward us.

9. Con-Air- I just can't get past Cage's ridiculous accent! Didn't anyone have the guts to tell him he sounded nearly retarded? Why did he need to have the accent anyway? Argh!!!

10. Renaissance Man- DeVito in the army... 'nuff said.

That's the first ten that came to mind.

alumpkin
09-27-2004, 09:00 AM

HAHAHA!!!! I forgot about Renaissance Man... that movie was HORRIBLE! Great call RetardKing. It had the nice happy ending with everyone showing up and passing their tests... it would have been better if they had been called into combat and left DeVito to pout and do some PT.

Lexmark3200
09-27-2004, 09:05 AM
1. Showgirls- I thought boobs could save any movie. This one proves that theory incorrect. I was 16 or 17 when I saw it in the theater and I was ready to walk out, but I saw it with a couple of my friends. When the movie was over I mentioned I wanted to walk out about 30 minutes into it. Both of my friends thought the same thing, but didn't think the others would want to go.

2. The Avengers- I saw this a long time ago, and really can't remember much about it. I just know I the pall of boredom that overcame me.

3. Speed- Made me want to never see a Keanu Reeves move ever again. (Finally gave in and watched The Matrix last week, yeah I hated Speed that much!) It was just so stupid and the continuity errors are abundant. (Watch for the cameras reflected off the bus for example)

4. Brotherhood of the Wolf- I didn't understand it. Maybe it was because I was sleepy when I saw it. But nonetheless, there wasn't much entertainment value to it for me.

5. The Net- Did anyone else see this? Best thing about this movie was David Spade mentioning it in a "Hollywood Minute" segment on SNL. (Did you see the movie about the talking pig? That's right Sandra Bullock in The Net. Or something to that effect)

6. Natural Born Killers- Would've been an okay movie if it would've ended when I thought it was going to. But when you add that next hour that followed, it becomes torturous. Not a being a fan of Juliette Lewis also hurts this one.

7. Independence Day- I really like Will Smith and the movie had a cameo by Harry Connick Jr. to boot, but Bill Pullman drags every movie down.

8. Twister- I never thought you could root for a tornado. Then I saw Twister. Nice CGI, but what was the point. Coolest thing about the movie was when leaving the theater, a thunderstorm was starting to make its way toward us.

9. Con-Air- I just can't get past Cage's ridiculous accent! Didn't anyone have the guts to tell him he sounded nearly retarded? Why did he need to have the accent anyway? Argh!!!

That's the first ten that came to mind.

Okay, let me break some of this down for you because its an interestingly assorted list;

Agree with you on:

Showgirls (you are right --- not even tits and ass saved this ridiculous film --- did you see the GIGANTIC box set thing they put together for this waste?)

Renasissance Man (absolutely a waste of time)

The Net (BAD and did not need a Special Edition DVD, did it?)

I Disagree with you on:

Independence Day, Twister, and Con Air; I loved these and own all of them; they all sound really good in 5.1 surround, with Twister getting DTS. I just bought Con Air the other night, but you must understand I am a Jerry Bruckheimer nut, and anything he produces I will probably buy, which I have, including Crimson Tide, the Bad Boys films, Armageddon, you know....I thought Cage's accent was terrible too, but it was just such a cool action film.

Dusty Chalk
09-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Well, when broken down succinctly, perhaps that may be correct, but sometimes I find myself forgiving certain films because of their absolutely beautiful marketing or performance on Digital Versatile Disc...Okay, so basically we agree on the synopsis, but disagree on the conclusion. (I vote thumbs down, you vote thumbs up, yes?) Fine.

But, I could say a similar thing about showgirls: Well, when [you say that it's not a story worth making a film about], perhaps that may be correct, but sometimes I find myself forgiving certain films because of their [T&A].

Actually, I did enjoy the T&A in Showgirls. The thought of Elizabeth Berkley -- Jessie from Saved by The Bell, ferpete'ssakes! -- all growed up and nekkid...mmmm...I'm going to have to get that boxset, but I'm confident enough with it's future that I think I'll wait until I see it in the cutout bins.

But that's not even what saved it for me.

I should mention that I really enjoyed the characterizations -- it's kind of like watching a shark school -- at first, they all look dangerous, but then you realize, some of them are even afraid of each other. (So, by analogy, at first glance, all the characters in Showgirls were sleazy, but then some of them had moral lines that they wouldn't cross, that others would. So there were characters in them that were sleazier than other characters. Enough so that even some of the sleaziest characters in the film found them sleazy by comparison. Did that make any sense?)

JSE
09-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Actually, I did enjoy the T&A in Showgirls. The thought of Elizabeth Berkley -- Jessie from Saved by The Bell, ferpete'ssakes! -- all growed up and nekkid...mmmm...

Exactly! Just for that, it's kept off the list. :cool:

JSE

RGA
09-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Hmm - all the movies I gave *1/2/***** or less to - yes I rate films too.

No Stars

Black Sheep
Flesh Gordon
Friday The 13th, Part III
Ghost In The Machine
Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday
Oasis Of The Zombies
Showgirls
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
Airheads
Baby--Secret Of The Lost Legend
Bad Girls
Barb Wire
Congo
Crash
Friday The 13th, Part II
Friday The 13th, Part V-A New Beginning
Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers
Hellmaster
Jaws: The Revenge
Lightning Jack
On Deadly Ground
Police Academy 4: Citizens On Patrol
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Stay Tuned
Swarm, The

* to *1/2
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Anaconda
Armed And Dangerous
Avengers, The
Bad Boys
Bad Company
Bad Moon
Batman & Robin
Beastmaster, The
Bees, The
Before And After
Best Defense
Beverly Hills Cop II
Blob, The (1958)
Bordello of Blood
Boxing Helena
Brain, The
Bram Stoker's Dracula
By Dawn's Early Light
Canadian Bacon
Candyman
Cannibal Woman In The Avocado Jungle Of Death
Cannonball Run II
Chain Reaction
Chopping Mall
Cowboy Way, The
Crocodile Dundee II
Crow: City Of Angels, The
Crush, The
Day After, The
Daylight
Death Wish II
Deepstar Six
Diabolique(1996)
Dune
Earthquake
Entity, The
Escape From L.A.
Evil Dead, The
Excalibur
Exorcist II: The Heretic
Eye For An Eye, An
F/X 2: The Deadly Art Of Illusion
Final Conflict, The
Fire Down Below
Firewalker
Friday The 13th
Friday The 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives
Friday The 13th, Part VII: The New Blood
Friday The 13th-The Final Chapter
Ghost And The Darkness, The
Good Mother, The
Great Expectations
Halloween III: Season Of The Witch
Halloween IV: The Return Of Michael Myers
Halloween V: The Revenge Of Michael Myers
Hard Rain
Haunted Honeymoon
Hell Night
High School High
Independence Day
Jackal, The (1997)
John Carpenter's Vampires
Jurassic Park III
Juror, The
Langoliers, The
Larger Than Life
Leviathan
Lifepod
Loose Cannons
Major League II
Mars Attacks!
Maximum Overdrive
National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1
Night Of The Living Dead (1990)
Nightmare On Elm Street 2, A: Freddy's Revenge
Out To Sea
Patriot, The
Peacemaker, The
Pelican Brief, The
Pet Sematary
Police Academy II: Their First Assignment
Poltergeist II: The Other Side
Predator 2
Problem Child
Punisher, The (1990)
Quick And The Dead
Raising Cain
Robocop 2
Robocop 3
Rocky V
Santa Clause, The
Scanner Cop
Scanners 2: The New Order
Scorpion King, The
Sphere
Stealing Home
Striptease
Substitute, The
Supergirl
Superman IV: The Quest For Peace
Surviving The Game
Tango And Cash
Terror In The Aisles
Thinner
Traces Of Red
Trigger Effect, The
Volcano
Wes Craven's Wishmaster
Suspect Zero

Lexmark3200
09-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Okay, so basically we agree on the synopsis, but disagree on the conclusion. (I vote thumbs down, you vote thumbs up, yes?) Fine.

But, I could say a similar thing about showgirls: Well, when [you say that it's not a story worth making a film about], perhaps that may be correct, but sometimes I find myself forgiving certain films because of their [T&A].

Actually, I did enjoy the T&A in Showgirls. The thought of Elizabeth Berkley -- Jessie from Saved by The Bell, ferpete'ssakes! -- all growed up and nekkid...mmmm...I'm going to have to get that boxset, but I'm confident enough with it's future that I think I'll wait until I see it in the cutout bins.

But that's not even what saved it for me.

I should mention that I really enjoyed the characterizations -- it's kind of like watching a shark school -- at first, they all look dangerous, but then you realize, some of them are even afraid of each other. (So, by analogy, at first glance, all the characters in Showgirls were sleazy, but then some of them had moral lines that they wouldn't cross, that others would. So there were characters in them that were sleazier than other characters. Enough so that even some of the sleaziest characters in the film found them sleazy by comparison. Did that make any sense?)

Yeah, I gotta tell ya Dusty....she really WAS one delightful delicious piece of ass in that film, our Miss Saved By The Bell....what a body on that girl. I couldnt stand the film, and didnt understand why this gets a massive DVD set with all kinds of collectors items that makes it look like some kind of board game, while cult classics like "The Warriors" get bare bones treatment from the likes of Paramount; but I can understand the appeal for some people. After all, the rest of us need jerk off material, right?

When you say "grown up and nekkid...." man, was that girl awesomely N-A-K-E-D in that film! What a body on her; and Kyle McLoughan's little slut wasnt half bad, either. I would have loved to see the two of them roll around in the hay a bit.

Lexmark3200
09-27-2004, 09:54 PM
"Jason X"....one of the absolute worst films --- horror or otherwise --- of all time, surely.

I am glad to see Exorcist II and Jaws: The Revenge making other people's lists of the worst......