Looking to replace home theater receiver.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking to replace home theater receiver..

goldenmember
09-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Hi, looking to replace my Denon receiver that has been in the shop for weeks now with no end in sight. I am powering B&W 602 speakers all around and listen to 50/50 home theater/two channel. I like neutral to bright sound and plenty of rock and blues. If anyone has any suggestions to audition I'd appreciate them. Also I am not concerned about 6 or 7.1 amplification but would like bass management.
Thanks

kexodusc
09-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Well, I guess the most obivous recommendation for you would be Yamaha. Most feel Yamaha has the highest quality component of your general sub $1200 receivers. Plenty of power, heavy with HT features and probably the best DSP's by far (I can actually tolerate some of Yamaha's).
After a few years of problems with H/K and Marantz, I switched to Yamaha and haven't had any issues. Of course, even Yamaha's aren't 100% perfect all the time.
Some feel the Yammies sound bright too...I find them completely neutral, but whatever, either way you say that's what you're looking for.

Without knowing what your budget is, it's difficult to recommend a certain model, the RX-V650 and HTR-5760 (identical except for looks) get my vote as the single best value in Yamaha's offerings.

I like Onkyo and Marantz alot too if you find the Yamaha's not to your liking. Never owned a Denon, but they're probably the 2nd most popular here, and just because you had a problem with one, doesn't mean you'll have a problem again.

goldenmember
09-23-2004, 11:44 AM
My budget is 1-2000 Cdn$. Was also wondering about NAD. Anyone have any input on them?

goldenmember
09-23-2004, 12:33 PM
the Denon model 4800 which is a real workhorse but I am so ticked at Denons service that I will switch manufacturers. It has been in the shop for over a month with no end in sight.

kexodusc
09-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Okay, let's start all over...at $1-$2000 (which is about double or triple what most people who post questions about receivers spend) you've really got a ton of options.
NAD, in particular, makes great receivers, tons of power, and a very nice sound.
In the price range you're looking at, the only brand I DON'T like is Harman Kardon...not because they're bad, but they seem to be incredibly overpriced in Canada compared to the competition. And if you can swing a good deal, I'd even consider them.
I'd definitely start with the NAD T763, Yamaha RX-V1400, and Denon AVR-3803.
These are all terrific units and should give you an idea of what to expect for in terms of performance, features, and price. I don't think you'll notice much difference in sound quality between these models, and they've all got more than enough juice to drive your B&W's.

I own the RX-V1400, a solid unit, comes with an automatic calibration feature (as does the Denon). and parametric EQ, which is a heck of a feature and will soon become the standard on all receivers.

You said you aren't interested in 7.1 amplification, etc...but in the end, your purchase decision is going to come down to features such as this, video up-conversion, etc, because the "luxuries" are really where these receiver begin to differ.
How much did you pay for your current receiver? Receivers prices have dropped considerably in the last few years.

hershon
09-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi,

You're musical tastes are the same as mine. If you want a great deal on price, you'll get the DVD receiver system I have, JVC RX DV31SL but only if you don't mind listening to 5 channels & sub as opposed to 2 speakers. The sound on this for rock and blues with my Orb Speaker system to me is great (as is the sound/picure of DVD's & watching TV). Personally, however, I do not care to listen to CD's on 2 speakers or 2 speakers & a sub on this system. The 5 channel & sub system for playing DVD's is the "all channel option" which is different than ProLogic sound. If you're insistant on 2 speaker sound, this system isn't for you. You can get this system brand new for more than 1/2off the $450 or so retail price on Ebay if you're patient for a few weeks.

Hi, looking to replace my Denon receiver that has been in the shop for weeks now with no end in sight. I am powering B&W 602 speakers all around and listen to 50/50 home theater/two channel. I like neutral to bright sound and plenty of rock and blues. If anyone has any suggestions to audition I'd appreciate them. Also I am not concerned about 6 or 7.1 amplification but would like bass management.
Thanks