DVD-R vs. DVR [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD-R vs. DVR

traut
09-23-2004, 09:00 AM
My VCR died during an electrical storm a couple of weeks ago, which leaves me in need of something to record with. I've decided to look into the new technologies, and I'm having a little trouble deciding what the best way to go is. So, I've made a list of pros and cons. I'm just looking for a little feedback from folks who've used these technologies, and to find out if I'm missing anything.

DVD Recorder

Pros: Unlimited space (as long as you keep buying DVD-R/RWs), no monthly fees

Cons: Highest initial cost, no program guide (timer recording only)
DVR (Tivo, Instant Replay)

Pros: Program guide, low initial cost

Cons: High monthly fee ($13), limited storage space
Cable DVR (Comcast Dig. Cable)

Pros: No up front costs, program guide

Cons: Monthly fee ($9), limited space, recorded programs/movies go with the box if I switch to satellite
So, if you've chosen any of the above, why did you choose the particular technology? Are there any ways to get around some of the cons that I've found? Any advantages that I'm missing?

sy_lu
09-23-2004, 09:42 AM
One more "pro" for cable/satellite DVR. Some of those can record HD material. The regular DVD-R and DVR couldn't. BTW, there are dual recorder/DVR machine out there but they cost more.

You have another choice that is to use PC with a turner (NTSC or HD) and burn only what you want to keep. You may get some free guide through internet depends on the recording s/w.

hershon
09-23-2004, 12:58 PM
In regards to DVD recorders, from what I gathered from this forum is unless you have an external DVD recorder to attach to your computer or built in one, you will not be able to record 5 channel surround sound on your DVD's. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

You will also need a software decryption program (there are a bunch free on the internet such as DVD Shrink) to be able to copy most commercial DVD's.