DVD-A SACD and Faroudja [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD-A SACD and Faroudja

JeffKnob
09-23-2004, 08:49 AM
I am trying to find out what my options are for a DVD player that does DVD-A, SACD and using the Faroudja DCDi processing. I have found the Yamaha S1500 and the Samsung DVD-HD941. I am connecting this to a Yamaha RX-V1400 and a Samsung 32" EDTV. I would like to keep the price below $500. I use component video cables for the video. Does anybody have any ideas for me?

On another note, when using DVD-A or SACD I am aware that there needs to be six wires between the DVD player and the receiver. I am used to using an optical cable for sound. Would the DVD player use the six cables when playing DVD-A or SACD and use the optical cable for DVD video?

sy_lu
09-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Yes, the DVD player will use 6ch output for SACD and DVD-A and optical/coax output for others. Some players can downgrade the SACD/DVD-A as regular PCM to the optical/coax output but you loose the benefit of the SACD/DAD-A. Some players also have built-in DD/DTS decoder so if you so choose, you can also use the 6ch output for DVD video.

eqm
09-23-2004, 01:49 PM
I am trying to find out what my options are for a DVD player that does DVD-A, SACD and using the Faroudja DCDi processing. I have found the Yamaha S1500 and the Samsung DVD-HD941. I am connecting this to a Yamaha RX-V1400 and a Samsung 32" EDTV. I would like to keep the price below $500. I use component video cables for the video. Does anybody have any ideas for me?

On another note, when using DVD-A or SACD I am aware that there needs to be six wires between the DVD player and the receiver. I am used to using an optical cable for sound. Would the DVD player use the six cables when playing DVD-A or SACD and use the optical cable for DVD video?

Your best bet is probably the Denon DVD-2200 with the Silicon Image chip. I've got the 2900 (same video dac) hooked up to my -'04 Mitsubishi Diamond and was very impressed with the picture vs. my pioneer elite dv47a or a yamaha with the dcdi that i used for a short period of time.

N. Abstentia
09-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Don't forget the Marantz DV-6400, which I liked much better than the Denon DVD-2200. Although they are basically cousins, I just felt the Marantz was a little better quality overall.

JeffKnob
09-24-2004, 05:47 AM
I would love to get either of those but now my wife is telling me that I can't spend more than $300. Any ideas for a player for DVD-A and SACD that also gives a great picture for my EDTV.

JeffKnob
09-27-2004, 08:38 AM
I am guessing that for $300 this is too much to ask by the non-response. I just want a DVD player that does DVD-A and SACD that has a much better picture than my Panasonic S35.

N. Abstentia
09-27-2004, 09:07 AM
That's a very tall order for less than $500. Finding a DVD-A/SACD player for under $300 is not a problem (although the sound will be somewhat crippled) but finding one in that range with a much better picture than a Panasonic will be the problem. I've always found Panny players to have far better picture quality than all the other players in it's range, especially Sony.

JeffKnob
09-27-2004, 09:28 AM
That's a very tall order for less than $500. Finding a DVD-A/SACD player for under $300 is not a problem (although the sound will be somewhat crippled) but finding one in that range with a much better picture than a Panasonic will be the problem. I've always found Panny players to have far better picture quality than all the other players in it's range, especially Sony.

So you feel that the Marantz DV-6400 will give much better sound and video quality for the extra money? Have you heard anything about the Yamaha S1500?

N. Abstentia
09-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Yeah the Marantz is worth every penny. I don't know anything about the Yamaha, but it looks like from the specs it would do great for the price. I haven't seen it first hand though.

eqm
09-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Yeah the Marantz is worth every penny. I don't know anything about the Yamaha, but it looks like from the specs it would do great for the price. I haven't seen it first hand though.

Yammy dvd players are kind of a sore spot with me. I haven't found one that stood up to any in their price range yet, ESPECIALLY in the realm of build quality. I had one with the faroudja dcdi that started giving me fits after about the first year. POS! Besides, panasonic makes much of the guts of the yammy players, but yamaha, for whatever reason likes to hatchet their players to death.

ok...i'm done venting.

kingcrim05
10-05-2004, 05:00 PM
What's the best player our there for 200-300 with SACD and DVD-A, but picture isn't important?

I just want a player for the audio features and would like to spend a little less. Any help?

bargainseeker
10-05-2004, 06:34 PM
What's the best player our there for 200-300 with SACD and DVD-A, but picture isn't important?

I just want a player for the audio features and would like to spend a little less. Any help?My response and other responses in this thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=7279) may be helpful to you.