Please advice to novice - aperion audio (Onkyo NR801) vs Klipsch SF2(Yamaha v1400) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please advice to novice - aperion audio (Onkyo NR801) vs Klipsch SF2(Yamaha v1400)

vur
09-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi all !

Please advise to a novice !

for a long time I have been planning to buy some decent system (I have a lot of Cds mostly classical but also rock folk new age etc) but I alos would like to watch and hear DVD in surround sound, not only listen to audio CD (and in the future SACD)

After reading a lot of reviews I've nearly zeroed in on Aperion Audio 6.1 system paired with Onkyo NR801 receiver with Nettune. But couple of days ago I went into a local Good Buy just to browse and started speaking with their sales folk which also turned to be a classic music fan. Once he learned about my plans he told me that for approximately the same amount of money I can have much much better combo namely Klipsch SF2 speakers with Yamaha V1400 receiver (coupled with Klipsch center speaker rear and sub). He said that while Aperion is OK for movies Klipsch is MUCH better for music. He brought me to listening room and honestly I liked Klipsch sound (he didn't have an Aperion Audio) but he let me listened to the simular bookshelf speakers). He also insisted that Yamaha is better receiver. At all he said bookshelf can't compete with floorstanding for music, plain and simple

Any reactions, comment, advises would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advice

goatspeed
09-23-2004, 09:46 AM
The V1400 may have more wattage than the 801, but that's about it IMO. High wattage isn't terribly important if you are buying Klipsch speakers anyway as they are so incredibly efficient. I've owned both Yamaha and Onkyo receivers and I like the Onkyo sound better for music. Yamaha has more digital surround modes for movie, a bunch of home grown stuff, but I never used any of them. As for Net-Tune, it's the best thing since sliced bread. If you have MP3's or intend to move your CD collection to MP3, Net-Tune is just the best. You can browse your MP3 connection on your TV by connection the "Monitor Out" from your Onkyo receiver to an input.

Your best bet IMO would be to buy the receiver, then listen to speakers on it and see which combo you like best.

vur
09-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Hi Goatspeed !

Thanks a lot for your reply. The music quality is indeed more important for me then movies.Anoter question to you since you've ovned both receivers have you ever used YPAO and also is it possible to achive Nettune functionalty with Yamaha bu just hooking it to some networking equipment.

The main question for me is hovewer speakers : any insights about Klipsch vs Aperion ?

Thanks, VUR

Geoffcin
09-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi Goatspeed !

Thanks a lot for your reply. The music quality is indeed more important for me then movies.Anoter question to you since you've ovned both receivers have you ever used YPAO and also is it possible to achive Nettune functionalty with Yamaha bu just hooking it to some networking equipment.

The main question for me is hovewer speakers : any insights about Klipsch vs Aperion ?

Thanks, VUR

They seem to be holding their own in the direct-to-consumer market, which is now VERY crowded with players. A look at Audioreview feedback shows very high marks from consumers.

I've never heard Aperion, but I've heard Klipsh. The one's I've heard sounded bright, and edgy to me. Also they seemed a little boomy, but it's hard to say that as we were listening in Best Buy, probably the WORST place to audition speakers.

I belive Aperion has a 30 day return policy, it might be worth it to check them out.

vur
09-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Hi Geoffcin !

Thanks a lot for the info. I also read a lot of excellent review about Aperions. The salesman made the following point regarding it that the majority of reviews and buyers come from "home-theater-type" people which their first preference is movies and he agreed that for movies they are certainly OK. Do you agree with this observation ?

Regarding your point about "bright and edgy" sound - I've red in one of the reviews that it's indeed what separate Klipsch from anything else becase they have horn loaded tweeters. The reviewer mentioned that this type of speakers need to be "broken in". He also mentoned that from the beginning they do sound "in your face" but they are more accurately represents the sound tharn any other speakers, so folks get addicted to them and can't swith from anything else. What's your opinion.

Again thanks for the ionfo - the variety is mind-boggling and it's so hard to make a decision !

Geoffcin
09-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi Geoffcin !

Again thanks for the ionfo - the variety is mind-boggling and it's so hard to make a decision !

The choices are many, and there's no real way of knowing if you made the right decision until you pull the trigger. At least your down to two choices. It's hard for me to give you advice as I've never heard the Aperion speakers. The best I can say is that Aperion gives you 30 days with FREE shipping. There's plenty of companies that stand by their speakers with money back guarantees, but none that I know of with free shipping too.

Yeti2003
09-24-2004, 09:31 AM
I used to have Aperion speakers for my fronts and center channel. I thought it did quite well for home theater and music. I definitely started noticing details in music and in movies that I didn't catch before with my old JBLs. I will say that you will need a good subwoofer because the fronts don't go that low (although if you go with the 6.1 package then that's not going to be a problem). In the end, I returned the speakers before the 30 days (without any hassle) because the girlfriend wasn't keen on the piano black finish. I would recommend them to other people (who have a girlfriend who likes either the black or cherry finish :) If you don't like them then return them (Aperion has amazing customer service that will help you out).

nightflier
09-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Vur,

My friends and I have auditioned the Aperion 522D speakers in my home along with other mail-order brands such as Axiom, Swan, etc. We also had Polk RT35 and Klipsch Synergy (don't remember which one). The sound of the 522D in my opinion was a bit bright and colored but one of my friends liked it and ended up buying a 3 speaker set. I must say that for such a tiny speaker they really perform well, and the personalized support was top-notch; Aperion techs know what they are talking about. In comparison with the Klipsch Synergy, the Aperions were in my opinion a better speaker, as a matter of fact in blind tests, none of us picked the Klipsch. I chose to go with a pair of Axiom's that I have now build my surround setup around and that I could not be happier with. My take is that the Axioms are the best value, but that's just me.

For the receiver, the Onkyo is better than the Yamaha IMHO. I have had both receivers (not those models, but similar units) to audition and the Onkyo just seems to be a better value. I now own two of them. I have to concurr with what others have said, the watts don't mean much (just check out what people say about HK receivers with typically less watts). Another thing you want to keep in mind, and I've heard this everytime I go to GG, is that the sales reps are trained to put down the other brands that they don't carry. In my opinion that reflects negatively on them. A good sales rep, wouldn't do that (I guess being paid on commission is a big factor). They would have you believe that Denon is the end-all-be-all and that Yamaha is just a hair behind.

Now I also have a pair of Klipsch Reference line bookshelves, and I do love them. I keep them for what I call my 'rock listening sessions' and when I have parties. I don't find them difficult to listen to, but they do have their own character. They are also highly directional because of the horns. If you're not sitting right in the middle between them, then they sound a bit off. This is a problem if you intend to watch movies with others, and is one of the reasons why I don't have a Klipsch setup for surround sound in my TV room.

In the end, it really comes down to what you like to hear. The Aperions really appealed to my friend, but not to me. The Swans were also right up there, but we all ended up chossing different speakers which is nice 'cause now I get to hear what they think I missed out on everytime I come over (at least that's what they think). In the end, you need to hear the speakers in your home, that's the only way to know for sure (that's why I volunteer my house everytime we audition stuff).

vur
09-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Nightflier and Yeti2000 !

Thanks a lot for taking time posting the answers. Your output was extremely useful. I think I'll give the Aperion the chance. It's a pity (and I guess I am not the first to express it) that there are no OBJECTIVE tests to quantify things like "brightness" , "lack of details" , "warm sound" etc,etc because not everybody can time and ear and skills which require a lott of effort to obtain to audit the speakers and receivers. I think I am going to give Aperion/Onkyo bundle a try not the least, because of cost issue and no hassle return policy, while I am also considering now going away from HT and switching to good 2 channel system (like triangle speakers + arcam receiver) since sound is my first priority. In this case I hope to get away (at least temporarily) without sub and get better sounding system.

Thanks again for all the people who provided me with info

RGA
09-24-2004, 03:01 PM
The best advice is to become your own expert and don't listen to that dealer. Floorstanders are not bettert than standmounts for music or much of anything else - THEY CAN BE but so can the reverse. The Onkyo versus the Yammie - buy whichever feature-set you like best at the lowest price. I liked the two channel Onkyo i heard over the Yamaha but that was 2 years ago at the $600.00Cdn price level. So who knows. I doubt they'd be much different.

Klipsch - some are ebtter than others - The dealer made comments about a brand he does not sell - ignore those comments because he has a conflict of interest.

It's really a matter of you listening and i don't mean just to this price level. Listen to stuff you can't afford. Try some up there two channel rigs - listen to those with movies compared to the cheaper multichannel surround rigs - you might be surprised.