Is Low Output MC Worth It? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is Low Output MC Worth It?

magictooth
09-22-2004, 07:35 PM
I'm looking for some quick opinions on whether a low output MC cart is worth it. I found a nice used P25 with a Benz Micro Glider cart for sale, but I'm not sure whether I should be going that route. My existing phono preamp can do high output MC and MM carts so I'd need a step up transformer. Any suggestions? I'm wondering whether I should hold out for a regular P25 and add something like the Shure VXMSR cart which I've read good things about (or whether I should be going with some other cart).

I guess the bottom line is probably a difference of about $500 for the more expensive cart and step up transformer. Is that cost justified? Is there anything else that I should be aware of with regards to low output MC carts?

musicoverall
09-30-2004, 10:45 AM
I'm looking for some quick opinions on whether a low output MC cart is worth it. I found a nice used P25 with a Benz Micro Glider cart for sale, but I'm not sure whether I should be going that route. My existing phono preamp can do high output MC and MM carts so I'd need a step up transformer. Any suggestions? I'm wondering whether I should hold out for a regular P25 and add something like the Shure VXMSR cart which I've read good things about (or whether I should be going with some other cart).

I guess the bottom line is probably a difference of about $500 for the more expensive cart and step up transformer. Is that cost justified? Is there anything else that I should be aware of with regards to low output MC carts?

Sorry if my reply is too late but I just got to AR.

I have heard all the arguments over which is more important, the table or the cartridge. I'm in the latter camp. The arm/cartridge marriage is more important to me than the deck. That's not to say the deck isn't important, though. But as such, I'd go with the Benz Glider over the Shure. I assume it's the low output Glider, hence the tone of your post! As for step up transformers, I'm not sure. My phono preamp takes care of business down to about 0.3 mv, perhaps even lower... haven't tried it. I know there are good step up transformers available but I have no experience with any.

magictooth
10-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I ended up going low output MC. My phono preamp will do medium output (1mV and up) and MM. I need the step up transformer to get down to the 0.3mV level. The cart that I've got right now is the Benz Micro Glider.

DMK
10-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. I ended up going low output MC. My phono preamp will do medium output (1mV and up) and MM. I need the step up transformer to get down to the 0.3mV level. The cart that I've got right now is the Benz Micro Glider.

I think you're going to be very happy with the Glider. I used one for over two years and didn't find much to compare to it under a grand.

hifitommy
10-02-2004, 12:57 PM
thats what the transformer or stepup is likely to be regardless of whether you change cartridges in the future. k&k lundahl has a mc stepup transformer kit for about $225 but you have to solder it up.

you can keep your eye on audiogon but they go fast there. check every day, twice a day.

low output MCs are definitely worth going for, better detail, more life. its not to say mm carts arent good, there are some great ones, i have some of those. i also have MCs which i find to be more rewarding