I know you are interested in what I listened to last week [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I know you are interested in what I listened to last week

Jim Clark
12-09-2003, 12:22 PM
No? Well then post your lineup

Comps:

Nobody's most excellent 2003 comp. While I didn't love the 2 (yep, not one but two) Outkast songs, the second, "The Way You Move" is much better than the very silly "Hey Ya". Of course the boys loved them both as did their friends. That started a variation of a classic comedy routine:

Hey Dad, where did you get that CD?
I got it from Nobody
Oh, so you made it yourself?
No-I got it from Nobody (it's all downhill from there)
Then who gave it to you?
Nobody!

Jack70 sent me a reasonably tall stack of Timemasheen comps. Just got them but I did play the 97'Powerpop disc as I readied myself to face the day. All seem decent enough and some were excellent. Not sure which is which quite yet though only going through the one time while I was occupied with other things.

Thanks guys.

New stuff to listen to:

Some Telarc and Denon PCM recordings from the library. I had to crank these things a bit higher than usual for a CD, must be the wider dynamic range of classical recordings. I can see why the Mahler stuff appeals to Jar. I related better to the darker, more aggressive passages. I could do classical better if it was all battlefield related though.

Oysterhead-The Grand Pecking Order-While I didn't think it was all that great, they sure sound like they were having fun making this record. Pretty silly stuff combined with a very arty prog rock approach.

Jennifer Love Hewitt-Bare Naked-library again and I didn't actually listen to it all. Figured what the H and got enough to last me a lifetime in under 5 minutes.

Marianne Faithful-Broken English got this based on some recs and enthusiastic comments on the older board. I liked this one.

Lucinda Williams-World Without Tears. Can't decide if I like it or not. The track "Righteously" always makes me laugh. One thing I know is that it won't be making my top 10.

Regards,
jc

Dave_G
12-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Ha!

Someone finally did the Tuesday thing!

I listened to a Pearl Jam comp

Citizen Cain

Jadis, the new one, ho hum

Watched some Nektar dvd, some Dream Theatre dvd, and some Transatlantic dvd.

Also listened to some Clepsydra (alone)(easily their best), Satellite, the new Kaipa, and a shuffled version of the newest Pallas cd.

Dave

JDaniel
12-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Listened to a lot of Christmas toons while working on my Christmas 2003 comp. These included:

-Vince Guaraldi Trio "A Charlie Brown Christmas"

-Leon Redbone "Christmas Island"

-Jimmy Buffett also called "Christmas Island"

-"A Jazzy Wonderland"

-Couple of different Mannheim Steamroller cds

As for comps:

-JCs Mystery Disc

-Jack 70's "Things of the Past" 1997 Power Pop tunes & "Hillbilly Heroes" (awesome comp, just awesome).

-Dave Geezer's Gov't Mule Komp (no wait - I didn't listen because HE'S NEVER MAILED IT)

-My own Los Lobos comp (pretty good stuff)

Ceedees:
-Johnny Lang "Wander This World"

-DMB "Busted Stuff"

-Joan Osborne "Relish"

-Smokin Joe Kubek "Best Shot"

-Dave Brubeck "Take 5" and "Time Out"

JD

np: FP's "20 Years of Ryko"

Troy
12-09-2003, 01:14 PM
http://www.lostamerica.com/samplestuff/tuesday.jpg

There ya go.

Some new stuff.

The Ben Folds EPs are brand new. Pretty low key and simple production compared to Rockin the 'burbs, but I think the songs are gonna hook me with more spins.

The early Hot Hot Heat and Grandaddy are just too rough around the edges and amateurish for me, especially the HHH.

That Crime Jazz disc is killer.

tugmcmartin
12-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Thanks JC for keeping up traditions!

Similar to JD, i too listened to a bunch of Christmas tunes. I don't think i've listened to much else lately.

Yule B' Swingin'
Louis Armstrong and Friends - What a Wonderful Christmas
Big Band Christmas
Some crappy Andy Williams album my wife likes
Frank Sinatra - The Christmas Album
Frank Sinatra - A Jolly Christmas from,
Handel's "The Messiah"
Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite
Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Christmas with
A Very Special Acoustic Christmas

and many others i can't remember the name of...

T-

-Jar-
12-09-2003, 01:30 PM
I had a nice time listening to a few Demetrio comps.. so I decided to steal some stuff and make my own Proggy comp.. I even stole a song from Troy.. it's called <a href=http://www.artofthemix.com/FindAMix/getcontents.asp?strMixID=63421> Destination Unknown</a>. I think it is a journey of sorts..

I was digging some of these songs so much, I just decided to put them all in one place.. that tune "Harvest" by Opeth from BLACKWATER PARK.. that's just got this totally menacing vibe to it.. plus I just *love* that 6/8 rhythm with the accoustic guitars.. and IZZ's "I Move" is like, 5/8 alternating with 6/8 or something.. and I believe that Ten Seconds track "No Way to Paradise" from Troy's comp is also in 3.. hehe. and don't even try to figure out the time signature of the Don Caballero track, I think it changes every other measure.. they're really prog just without the demons and wizards.

as with all my other stuff, if this strikes your fancy let me know.. dubman99(at)aol.com

I'm working on my 2003 comp too.. I just need to get ONE MORE cd..

didn't do a whole lot of other listening the past few weeks..

Don Caballero - WHAT BURNS NEVER RETURNS
Turing Machine - NEW MACHINE FOR LIVING
The God Machine - SCENES FROM THE SECOND STOREY
Anathema - SERENADES (from ForeverAutumn) - I liked this, it was heavy, the vocals didn't bother me.. my only real problem with this is it's just really slow and doesn't seem to take off.. I don't get it, I was listening to all kinds of music like this back in 1993, but I had never heard of this band.

two discs from Jim..
The Prids and the High Violets.. wow I really liked both of these! Shoegazing is alive and well, esp with the High Violets.. nice stuff!

and as I said, I browsed through several Demtrio and Troy comps..

ForeverAutumn
12-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Gee, paging someone from within a thread? Wacky! It seems like an easy way to link to someone since it's hard to see who is responding to who with this format.

Troy,
How's that IZZ disk? Darren was kind enough to introduce me to I Move, which has become one of my favourite disks. I didn't realize that they had an earlier disk. How izz it? :D

tentoze
12-09-2003, 02:26 PM
No? Well then post your lineup

--snip--

Regards,
jc

A bunch of new old vinyl- nothing sticks in my head.

cd's:
Sun Kil Moon, heavily rotating
Taj Mahal and Toumani Diabante, Kulanjan- Taj should be declared a national treasure
Ugly Casanova, Sharpen Your Teeth- geez this is fine stuff
British Sea Power
Lucinda, World Without.....(I'm sticking to my guns on this one)
Amalgamated Sons of Rest
Shins, Chutes.....Yeh, I'm still trying to let this one affect me positively.
John Prine, Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings

Got 3 comps from Jack70 that I'm itching to spin- thanx a ton, Jackson- I might send ya my year end comp, though I don't know that you would consider it an equitable trade..........

:eek:

Troy
12-09-2003, 03:54 PM
How's that IZZ disk? Darren was kind enough to introduce me to I Move, which has become one of my favourite disks. I didn't realize that they had an earlier disk. How izz it? :D

It'zz not nearly as good as I Move, less refined and polished, but it'zz still pretty good. The writing izz weaker and the recording izzn't as clean, but if you really liked I Move, you will probably like it too.

I hear they have a new album due early next year too . . .

Pat D
12-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Will be on a trip so may not have much to post for a while, though.

Beethoven, Symphonies 5 & 7. Carlos Kleiber, Vienna Philharmonic. DG 447 400-2.

Dvorak, String Quartets 10 & 14. Vlach Quartet Prague. Naxos 8.553374.

Haydn, String Quartets, Op. 33 “Prussian”, nos. 1-6. Kodaly Qt. Naxos 8.550788 and 8.550789.

Dvorak, String Quartet no. 9, Terzetto in C major. Vlach Qt. Naxos 8.553373.

Bruckner, Symphony no. 7 (Haas edition). Georg Tintner, Royal Scottish National Orchestra. Naxos 8.554269.

Leopold Hofmann (1738-1793), Five Symphonies. Nicholas Ward, Northern Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.553866. 18th century symphonist from Vienna.

Mozart, Symphonies nos. 35 (Haffner) and 36. Hogwood, Academy of Ancient Music. London 417 760-2.

Holst, Hymns to Dionysus, Choral Hymns from the Rig Veda, Two Eastern Pictures. David Willcocks, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Royal College of Music Chamber Choir. Unicorn-Kanchana DKP(CD)9046.

Night Train. The Oscar Peterson Trio. Verve 821 724-2.

Dusty Chalk
12-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Jennifer Love Hewitt-Bare Naked-library again and I didn't actually listen to it all. Figured what the H and got enough to last me a lifetime in under 5 minutes.Aw, you didn't like that? That's okay, but at least listen to the last track.

PS Her first album is still her best, Let's Go Bang.

PPS Did you know that Men Without Hats have a new album out? It's called "No Hats Beyond This Point" or something like that. As good as Pop Goes the World was, I'm curious, but it's been long enough between albums that I'd prefer to see at least one review first.
Holst, Hymns to Dionysus, Choral Hymns from the Rig Veda, Two Eastern Pictures. David Willcocks, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Royal College of Music Chamber Choir. Unicorn-Kanchana DKP(CD)9046.If you haven't left yet, how is that Holst? I've only heard The Planets, which is one of my favourites of all time, and The Perfect Fool a couple times. I'm curious about his other works (as I am of Mussorgsky, for example, since I'm only familiar with his "Pictures at an Exhibition", and for the same reason -- I'm only familiar with the one).

Hyfi
12-10-2003, 05:24 AM
-JCs Mystery Disc

-Jack 70's "Things of the Past" 1997 Power Pop tunes & "Hillbilly Heroes" (awesome comp, just awesome).

-My own Los Lobos comp (pretty good stuff)

I also have spun the Mystery disk a few times. Strange stuff. Exept for the first few songs, I thought the vocals were a guy. Sounded like the voice from Zappa's We're Only In It For The Mony.....Hey were ya goin with that flower in your hair.....I'll listen again.

I also got Jack70s set. The Cowboy Swing is great as well as the Live Guitar.....Things of the past was a surprise since I did not like much 90s music. The fourth one that was all one band needs more time.

Hey can I get a copy of that Los Lobos? I just ordered the Los Lonely Boys cd.

Jim Clark
12-10-2003, 07:06 AM
Aw, you didn't like that? That's okay, but at least listen to the last track.

"Me And Bobby McGee"? Well, I just forced myself to listen to the entire track. In one word-dreadful.

And I've known about Men without hats for a while. dug up some samples and they seemed pretty bad to me. Haven't heard anything about it since so my reaction must have been pretty common.

jc

Jim Clark
12-10-2003, 07:16 AM
It would seem that this particular thread may have outlived its usefulness. I enjoy scanning through it each week but but have to admit that I haven't had the time to type up everything I listened to and have been cheating with only listing the new music heard each week. Troy pioneered a great alternative with the scan solution but I file everything back in the rack and to pull them all out on Tuesday really isn't a big time saver.

Maybe it will regain some of its luster after the holidays.

jc

jasn
12-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Jim, what if you were simplify and post only the one(s) that made the biggest impact on you in the past week? I was actually thinking about doing just that as I came in to work today and was re-discovering this:

richmon
12-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Jack70's 'Hillbilly Hero's' -- Jackson you may have painted your Mona Lisa, a fantastic fun and educational listen, I've been humming that Pussy Pussy Pussy song for a week now. Working on repayment discs.
Miles Davis 'Amandala' -styleisticly similar to Tutu.
Fleetwood Mac 'The Dance' - breaths some fresh aire into there old chestnuts.
Blue Oyster Cult 'Cult Classics' their best of, not bad
Dream Theatre 'Six degrees of inner turbulence' - one or two songs are enjoyable, I always get a headache from this disc after song 2-- too intense.

Pat D
12-12-2003, 09:46 AM
.If you haven't left yet, how is that Holst? I've only heard The Planets, which is one of my favourites of all time, and The Perfect Fool a couple times. I'm curious about his other works (as I am of Mussorgsky, for example, since I'm only familiar with his "Pictures at an Exhibition", and for the same reason -- I'm only familiar with the one).

I have already left so I don't have all my resources available on the other side of the continent. The Holst Hymns to the Rig Veda,etc., is nice, pretty choral music, not perhaps my idea of a Dionysian hymn, and so on. Not as dramatic as The Planets. Not as exciting as something like Vaughan Williams "Toward the Unknown Region" or something like that. I don't have too much Holst beyond the Planets myself nor have I sung much of Holst's choral music.

Mussorgsky is another composer who s not known for very many works. Stokowski did a symphonic arrangement of themes from the opera Boris Godunov. Stokowski's own London Phase Four recording is dramatic but the sound is not so hot. I think there is a modern recording but I can't remember who did it. We are a little busy here so I can't take time to do a search, I think there's something in the Penguin Guide.