connect laptop to receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : connect laptop to receiver?

kocasrk
09-22-2004, 08:57 AM
I have an Onkyo receiver - don't recall the model number but it's one of their higher end models from 2 years ago. I want to be able to play my on-line music service (via a laptop computer with wireless network) through my receiver. Is that connection possible?

Thanks

nickspicks
09-22-2004, 09:06 AM
yes, it is possible.
you would want something to pass a digital signal to the Onkyo (assuming it has digi in).
Edirol UA-1D comes to mind. relatively inexpensive for 16bit I/O.
The UA-5 (edirol as well) is a great little box for 24bit I/O over USB 1.1. Not a bad sounding DAC either, probably better than that in your reciever. Those run about $200ish.
check EBAY.

ericl
09-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Also in the $150 - 200 range is the M-Audio Audiophile USB external sound card:

http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/callouts/big/audiophile_usb.jpg

Which has digital and analog I/O, and sounds great. makes my MP3's sound very impressive out of my computer. I am currently using the digital out to stream into my msb link dac. I'm pretty happy with it. also has a nice headphone out, and you can record your analog/vinyl sources into your computer with this, if you have them (although I haven't tried this feature yet). I got mine for about $160 on ebay.

-Eric

N. Abstentia
09-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Couldn't you just connect the speaker output to a preamp input? I've done that plenty of times, and requires only a $3 cable you can get at Radio Shack.

ericl
09-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Couldn't you just connect the speaker output to a preamp input? I've done that plenty of times, and requires only a $3 cable you can get at Radio Shack.

Oh yeah, that works too, and is much cheaper.

-eric

kocasrk
09-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the help. I was hoping for a "$3 cable from Radio Shack" solution.

N. Abstentia
09-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Yeah it's a mini plug on one end (plugs into the speaker output on laptop) then dual RCA's on the other which go to your receiver.

Mania
09-24-2004, 10:19 AM
I've had problems with ground loops when connecting my laptop to my reciever this way.

If the laptop is plugged into the wall, then I get an odd humming sound. If its working off a battery, it sounds fine. Its certainly worth <$10 to test out, but don't be shocked if you have the same issue. I still haven't worked around it, but may end up buying a DVD player (Go Video) that allows you to stream audio and video over a network. Since my HT is next to the router, this should work for me. I just have to buy the DVD player to see if it works.

Good luck