How to distinguish different WIDESCREEN FORMATS? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to distinguish different WIDESCREEN FORMATS?

NewAudioBuff
12-09-2003, 11:54 AM
Hi,
I have been buying Widescreen DVDs for my fairly new (6 months) 56" (16:9) HDTV. My DVD Player is by default set to widescreen format. I noticed that even though some DVDs specially say it is 'WideScreen Edition', they do not completely fit my 16:9 TV Screen. There is a few inches gap above and below. However some WIDESCREEN editions (like the Spiderman Widescreen edition) fit perfectly taking up the entire screen. Which is what exactly I want, to avoid burn-outs on the screen. So the question is How do I make sure that whatever widescreen edition I buy will perfectly fit the TV Screen? Is there any markings on the DVD that could indicate this variation?

Thanks

NewAudioBuff
12-09-2003, 12:01 PM
I found the answer to my puzzling question:

"Another point to be aware of with widescreen on discs, is that there are a variety of different formats, ranging from 16:9 (which is the common TV widescreen format) right up to 2.35:1 which is more commonly seen in cinemas. If your disc is a widescreen disc at 2.35:1, then it will still have stripes at the top and bottom, even on a widescreen TV"

recoveryone
12-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Hi,
I have been buying Widescreen DVDs for my fairly new (6 months) 56" (16:9) HDTV. My DVD Player is by default set to widescreen format. I noticed that even though some DVDs specially say it is 'WideScreen Edition', they do not completely fit my 16:9 TV Screen. There is a few inches gap above and below. However some WIDESCREEN editions (like the Spiderman Widescreen edition) fit perfectly taking up the entire screen. Which is what exactly I want, to avoid burn-outs on the screen. So the question is How do I make sure that whatever widescreen edition I buy will perfectly fit the TV Screen? Is there any markings on the DVD that could indicate this variation?

Thanks

Just to add a bit: the ratio is 1:78:1 to fill a 16X9 screen with no black bars.